Bannerlord & Linux Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

So i got my game running via the wine patches from the github thread, big thanks to everyone who helped there. Hows everyone elses performance? Aside from the mentioned save freezes my game is also just generally studdering at an unplayable level right now. I'm sure some of it is just the game performing badly even on its intended OS, and that an optimized proton patchset will probably come out addressing the big ones. That said I am curious if other people are getting better results at the moment. Im running an amd 5700x with the amdgpu driver on NixOS at the moment.

I fail to understand how to apply the patches. Where are the files I should be modifying? I'm not that familiar with Wine's file tree
Its not exactly difficult but its probably more involved than you're thinking if youv'e never patched and built a large project before. I grabbed the patch file, then cloned the proton git repo per the proton README on github. Then you apply the patch by going into the wine folder and doing a git apply "/home/username/downloads/patchfilename.patch". Then you go up a directory and "make install". At least going by valves official way of building proton from source you'll need vagrant installed and a hypervisor or container system that it knows how to utilize. The build took me about an hour on a 12 core CPU.

I can get the game to launch, but its just stuck waiting on brightness calibration. Can we have one sticky thread for linux issues so we can coordinate our efforts more easily, please?
It isn't stuck on brightness calibration. It just don't get mouse input so you can't leave the calibration.
We started using GetMouseMovePointsEx for some mouse movement inputs. Maybe that's not implemented in WINE? It's not used for mouse clicks though.
Quote is from tw dev. So only way in is controller right now.
Due to battleeye, official multiplayer is not working.

So i got my game running via the wine patches from the github thread, big thanks to everyone who helped there. Hows everyone elses performance? Aside from the mentioned save freezes my game is also just generally studdering at an unplayable level right now. I'm sure some of it is just the game performing badly even on its intended OS, and that an optimized proton patchset will probably come out addressing the big ones. That said I am curious if other people are getting better results at the moment. Im running an amd 5700x with the amdgpu driver on NixOS at the moment.
I have noticed that my performance is very good for the first 15-30 minutes of playing, but it slowly degrades every time I enter a scene or battle until it becomes extremely laggy, even on the campaign map. It also starts to use more and more ram, which seems to me like there is probably a memory leak. I only have 8 GB of ram, and I have heard similar complaints from Windows users about ram usage so it might be an issue with the game itself rather than with Proton/Wine.

To make things a bit easier between now and getting those patches upstreamed, I've put up my working Proton build with all patches so far: https://yellowapple-misc.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/proton_5.0-local.tar.gz

Download that, extract it into ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d, restart Steam, and select "proton_5.0-local.tar.gz" for Bannerlord's Proton version. Should be a decent one-stop shop for all patches so far (at least until either Proton/Wine itself or one of the popular community builds like GloriousEggroll pick it up). Obviously this carries the normal risks inherent in downloading random binaries off the Internet and running them, so caveat emptor.

Can we post suggestions here for devs to read? I would like to be able to take prisoners that another party which you defeated in battle had as prisoners. Sometimes one of your enemies has looters as prisoners and the most logical thing would be to take them as your prisoners instead of only being able to recruit or set them free. I wonder if this is something they will add.

Can we post suggestions here for devs to read? I would like to be able to take prisoners that another party which you defeated in battle had as prisoners. Sometimes one of your enemies has looters as prisoners and the most logical thing would be to take them as your prisoners instead of only being able to recruit or set them free. I wonder if this is something they will add.

Unless it has to do specifically with getting Bannerlord to run on Linux, I think it's probably off-topic for this thread.

Yeah, that happens. If you wait long enough it'll eventually load. It's possible to alleviate that issue somewhat by running "protontricks 261550 dotnet48", but that causes other issues (mostly stuttering / low FPS, especially in the world map, plus the occasional crash).

Status update for all y'all following along: patches to fix the mouse issue just landed in wine-staging's master branch, so as soon as that coalesces into an actual release (or potentially even sooner) it should hopefully start popping up in some of the other community Proton builds (e.g. Proton-GE).

And the fix for the crash after character creation is already in wine's master branch, so same deal.

Status update for all y'all following along: patches to fix the mouse issue just landed in wine-staging's master branch, so as soon as that coalesces into an actual release (or potentially even sooner) it should hopefully start popping up in some of the other community Proton builds (e.g. Proton-GE).

And the fix for the crash after character creation is already in wine's master branch, so same deal.

That's great, thank you for these updates!

Do you happen to have some links to the PRs handy?

With these patches the game actually works really nicely, with the caveat of campaign saves taking a minute or two and MP not working. The performance is fine: I can run custom battles with the highest 1000 unit cap with maxed graphical settings, getting "playable" (~25) FPS. I didn't record FPS in Windows but it can't have been much higher since my setup is fairly modest (Ryzen 5 2600X, Radeon RX 580). Other than saves I have no issues with campaign performance either (it's actually far superior to what I had on Windows, although that would be because here I'm running it off SSD). Well, besides the gradual slowdown (presumably a memory leak), but that's not Linux-specific.

I installed Windows 10 just to play this game but since I'm not terribly bothered by the whole saving issue (I can just switch virtual desktops and do something else in the meanwhile), looks like that wouldn't have been necessary after all. I'm really quite impressed how quickly the good folks over at GitHub got the game to run. I really appreciate the work!

Last edited:
Hey here's a link to my experience a few points being made idk if this okay to post?

When you're low health and fight 1 looter it won't allow you to engage. When you take items from the win and hit ESC it assumes you're leaving without the gear even though you got out of your way transfer the items.

So, just to reiterate from my Github postings: Using for example Proton tkg you can easily build your own version of Proton that comes with the fix for the mouse issues (due to using the most recent wine-staging build). Saving still has issues, these seem to be mainly fixed by dotnet48, though some users (myself included) get horrible microstutter and tanked performance on the campaign map when using dotnet48.

Also without dotne48 installed in the prefix I haven't encountered a single crash or similar. Can play for hours without problems. With dotnet48 it would crash pretty frequently.

Hi,
i play with the custom Proton build and without dotnet48. I can play, but there are a lot of crashes. Maybe every 3th or 4th time i talk to a NPC it will crash. Reloading game, talk again to the NPC, everything is fine. But with the time waiting for saving and restarting game, maybe i am able to play 30 minutes per hour.

But with dotnet48 it crashes twice the time. And not only by talking to NPCs.

Back
Top Bottom