Bannerlord is way to colorful!

Users who are viewing this thread

In the old gameplay Videos Bannerlord was looking more dark and not that colorful like its right now.

Here is an example:

I hope they gonna change the atmosphere and also make the units not uniformly and so much colorfull i preffer way darker colors for the units.

Those battles looked way more medieval then right now:

Yes, because as we all know, back in the medieval times the sun didn't shine nearly as bright as it does today, and people all wore brown rags instead of colorful clothes. Oh, and also grass is much greener now...

I think your idea of what BL should look like fits a mod better than an actual change to the game.

Yes, because as we all know, back in the medieval times the sun didn't shine nearly as bright as it does today, and people all wore brown rags instead of colorful clothes. Oh, and also grass is much greener now...

I think your idea of what BL should look like fits a mod better than an actual change to the game.
Do you not mind the uniformly look of the factions? I think the clans within the factions should have all different armor colors and not for example like vlandia all red.

I would not say that it is a good thing, but I do not particularly mind it either. And the chance they will change it is very low, as it is done by design, not some kind of oversight. They want the different factions to be color-coded and distinguishable. It's basically for gameplay reasons.

The op is not wrong but he is not entirely right. So is Askorti, not wrong but not right. The basic problem comes down to a couple of factors:

1. In the summer, there is never rain. In the autumn, there is never fog. No storms exist either. It is never cloudy except in winter. So for the 3 out of 4 seasons there is constant sunshine. It also bothers me, but Ill be patient until they add weather. We had several threads pointing this out already, none of them answered by the devs.

2. The banners are tacky. The colours are indeed too bright for anything that could be considered realistic or even just pleasant to the eye. I mean having 1 sigil and 2 colours is an abomination, but coupled with uniformed Age of Empires-looking soldiers it just hits extra wrong. As you could notice, soldiers in Custom Battle use an older system of banner generation, which has a tertiary color slot, more sigils, shield divisions etc. It is more pleasant and toned down than the company logos we have now.

3. Every item is coloured in the same colour as the banner. So imagine you have a red banner. Wear a scarf? Red. Tunic? Also red. Your soldiers? All red. Shield? Red. It is just ugly

The op is not wrong but he is not entirely right. So is Askorti, not wrong but not right. The basic problem comes down to a couple of factors:

1. In the summer, there is never rain. In the autumn, there is never fog. No storms exist either. It is never cloudy except in winter. So for the 3 out of 4 seasons there is constant sunshine. It also bothers me, but Ill be patient until they add weather. We had several threads pointing this out already, none of them answered by the devs.

2. The banners are tacky. The colours are indeed too bright for anything that could be considered realistic or even just pleasant to the eye. I mean having 1 sigil and 2 colours is an abomination, but coupled with uniformed Age of Empires-looking soldiers it just hits extra wrong. As you could notice, soldiers in Custom Battle use an older system of banner generation, which has a tertiary color slot, more sigils, shield divisions etc. It is more pleasant and toned down than the company logos we have now.

3. Every item is coloured in the same colour as the banner. So imagine you have a red banner. Wear a scarf? Red. Tunic? Also red. Your soldiers? All red. Shield? Red. It is just ugly
Exactly 100%! Rain will come for sure later or sooner to Bannerlord it was already seen in one of the videos from taleworlds where they show the different seasons.

I mean they just should add fog or also other atmospheres to battlefields to make them look more darker because atm its only day or night.

I also want for example when the player is creating his own kingdom that the units use the sigil color and background color for their armor instead of the culture colors. For example when the player choose vlandia culture that the units are not red like vlandians, instead they should have the player faction colors.

I find the factions way too uniform in color but the medieval/ancient world was extremely colorful in a way strange to modern tastes.

The troops should be even more colorful to me with each clan having it's own banner colors and reflecting it in the clothes and armors of it's soldiers.

I find the factions way too uniform in color but the medieval/ancient world was extremely colorful in a way strange to modern tastes.

The troops should be even more colorful to me with each clan having it's own banner colors and reflecting it in the clothes and armors of it's soldiers.
Yes they should have their own look but maybe it could be confusing to know which one is ally or enemy.

Yes they should have their own look but maybe it could be confusing to know which one is ally or enemy.
It really isn't after you get used to it and if you have the bright circles enabled over friendly troops then it there is absolutely no way to be confused.

There is mods that allow this functionally already and i love to use it, each clan gets a unique banner and their soldiers follow that color scheme.

Just taking care when designing the banners to not give the same primary and secondary colors to more than one clan and there is no problem, over time you get to recognize which color scheme represents each clan just like it was done in the middle ages (heraldry evolved as a way to distinguish nobles more easily in the battlefield and that's why it follows the rule of vibrant and contrasting colors)

It really isn't after you get used to it and if you have the bright circles enabled over friendly troops then it there is absolutely no way to be confused.

There is mods that allow this functionally already and i love to use it, each clan gets a unique banner and their soldiers follow that color scheme.

Just taking care when designing the banners to not give the same primary and secondary colors to more than one clan and there is no problem, over time you get to recognize which color scheme represents each clan just like it was done in the middle ages (heraldry evolved as a way to distinguish nobles more easily in the battlefield and that's why it follows the rule of vibrant and contrasting colors)
I usually play without troop icons but i think this would definitly work to get rid of that ugly immersion breaking uniformly look what makes all clan banners and troops looking exact the same.

Once upon a time i was messing arround with this and made a mod for myself that i later published on Nexus
Besides the revamped banners i also desaturated all the colors, applied the primary color as secondary (details) to peasants and, depending on the faction troop tree, up to tier 2-3, while elite troops still had 3 different shades of primary color as primary (to break the monotony), but still desaturated a bit.

There is a version i did not publish, that made all the clans wear their clan color, which i picked by hand for every single clan, according to the new banners i made for them.
tl8eM.jpg

I have lost energy since to constantly update the mod only to make Native bearable, as i likely won't be playing Native anyways, the colors/nameplates/banners/uniforms design is too repulsive to me.

Once upon a time i was messing arround with this and made a mod for myself that i later published on Nexus
Besides the revamped banners i also desaturated all the colors, applied the primary color as secondary (details) to peasants and, depending on the faction troop tree, up to tier 2-3, while elite troops still had primary color as primary, but desaturated a bit.

There is a version i did not publish, that made all the clans wear their clan color, which i picked by hand for every single clan, according to the new banners i made for them.
tl8eM.jpg

I have lost energy since to constantly update the mod only to make Native bearable, as i likely won't be playing Native anyways, the colors/banners/uniforms design is too repulsive to me.
WOW this looks stunning! Good job. I hope this will be in Native with an future patch^^

I have to admit, I do much prefer an understated look to Bannerlord. It makes it look less cartoony and I'm all for that.
Returning to the more subtle colour palette would also make a pleasant change from most games out today.

I have to admit, I do much prefer an understated look to Bannerlord. It makes it look less cartoony and I'm all for that.
Returning to the more subtle colour palette would also make a pleasant change from most games out today.
Especially an medieval game like Mount and Blade should not look like a childish game for 12 years old. I wish Bannerlorld would be an 18+ game with more blood more gore and more brutality. This would help the immersion a lot i think to fit in the medieval! Since the medieval was a dirty and brutal time!

Yes, the colors and tones now sort of makes me think of Fortnite. Which is not a good thing. Way too much color, and way too bright.
Exactly what i mean. The Units looks all like Top Models and they dont look like they are very experienced in Battle! I think the complete Colors and Shading needs an overhaul to look more realisitc!

Besides the revamped banners i also desaturated all the colors, applied the primary color as secondary (details) to peasants and, depending on the faction troop tree, up to tier 2-3, while elite troops still had 3 different shades of primary color as primary (to break the monotony), but still desaturated a bit.

tl8eM.jpg

I have lost energy since to constantly update the mod only to make Native bearable, as i likely won't be playing Native anyways, the colors/nameplates/banners/uniforms design is too repulsive to me.

Wait, it not longer works? Was planning to use my next playthrough, what rotten luck.

tl8eM.jpg

This with banners in battles was ultimate immersion

Back
Top Bottom