Bannerlord is missing many good features from Warband and VC

Users who are viewing this thread

Different engine so you still have to recreate the entine thing from scratch.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate the info. Even so, pretty sure the Unreal Engine could have handled everything. At this point the only reason I can deal with the crashes is I'm coming directly from Skyrim, so CTDs
Feasts are absolutely needed. The 24/7 warfare really sets a stressful pacing that doesnt let us calmly enjoy the game (smithing, trading, etc). I always feel the need to join the wars because otherwise a faction will snowball.

Feasts would be epic. Throw bones over your shoulder to the hounds, have your wineglass refilled, etc. Be nice if they added a drunken walk animation and you could go to bed and actually (with a get-into-bed animation) sleep it. off.

Credit to u/dropbbbear on r/mountandblade (I DID NOT MAKE THIS LIST, I COPY PASTED IT WITH HIS CONSENT)

Bannerlord has made some great improvements to the Mount&Blade series in terms of graphics, field battles, moddability and overall polish, and I'm very thankful to Taleworlds for that. But in terms of stuff to do and immersion, it actually feels heavily lacking compared to M&B: Warband (from 10 years ago) and M&B: Viking Conquest Reforged (from 6 years ago). That isn't good for a sequel.

To be fair, Bannerlord is only half of the way through Early Access, so missing content makes sense. But what's worrying is Taleworlds' complete silence on what content the game will actually have at the end of Early Access.

So, this is a list of WB/VC features Bannerlord doesn't have which have not been mentioned on Taleworlds' roadmap, meaning they may have been forgotten about, and aren't coming back unless people ask for them. Some of these features are small, but combined they made WB and VC more immersive and entertaining than just killing looters and map-painting.

WARBAND MISSING FEATURES

• Feasts: Parties the player and AI lords could hold for other lords. They helped slow down factions who were conquering large parts of the map too quickly by giving them something to do other than be at war 24/7. They gave the player another way of gaining relation with lords and ladies, gathered them all in one place for convenient talking/flirting, and feasting had a related quest where you gathered food from all around the map to make your feast impress the other lords. Feasts made Calradia feel more like a real world, and gave us Harlaus butter memes.
  • Lord strategic dialogue: The AI can often be quite stupid while on campaign. In Warband, you could actually tell lords to go somewhere and attack or defend it, which helped mitigate AI stupidity.
  • Manhunters: They spawned in Warband to hunt down bandits when their numbers started getting too high. In Bannerlord, this system could be tweaked: allow the player to spend money to put a Bounty on bandits in the area of one of their villages, and Manhunters would begin spawning there and hunting any threats to your village's prosperity, allowing you to go do more important/interesting things.
  • Quests: Exciting quests like the Prison Break quest where you rescued a lord from captivity and fought your way through the dungeons to freedom, or the Tax Collector quest where you gathered money from a town for a lord which might result in a riot, and many more.
  • Handcrafted companions: Think Jeremus, Ymira, etc. These companions had in-depth backstories and reactions to world locations, interacted with each other, and they had personalities you could get attached to. You could also make companions into vassals for your kingdom, which was useful if you had angered too many existing nobles.
  • Village improvement options: Build manors, messenger posts, schools, etc. This allowed the player to focus on building up a specific village to improve their strategic options in that area.
  • Courtship: Ladies had likes and dislikes, you could learn poems suited to their personality from poets and hear gossip, there were romance quests. Rather than just trying to roll the correct RNG on a skill check, Warband courtship was more like trying to build a relationship with a person.
  • Dueling lords: You could challenge a lord to a duel (or be challenged by them) if they insulted your honor or competed with you for a lover. This would give more intrigue to the player in their interactions with lords and ladies and add a fun extra challenge.
  • Deserters on the map: These guys were more interesting to fight than looters and bandits because they had better, military-grade equipment.
  • Tournament Armor/Weapons: All fighters in a tournament recieved gear of equal quality in Warband. In Bannerlord, gear quality is variable, so you can get a weapon in the tournament that is almost totally useless against some armors.
  • Books: You could buy these and read them to level skills. This would be a good gold sink, and also be a realistic way of letting the player level skills that are difficult to do in the early game; for example, read a book about siege engines to level your Engineering skill, without having to start a whole siege.
  • Lord personalities affecting behaviour: For example, warlike lords would constantly start fights with other factions, and calculating lords would leave allies to fend for themselves in fights. This influenced the player's choice in vassals and added another layer of strategic depth.
  • More battle maps: Bannerlord seriously lacks variety in field battle scenes.
  • Permanent message log: The current message log resets after an event, leading you sometimes to wonder what the hell just happened?
  • Follow option: You could auto-follow caravans or lords without actually getting locked into their party, which made the mid-game a lot less tedious.
  • Actual redheads: It's pretty silly that Bannerlord has a whole Celtic faction, but no real gingers. Is red hair bugged? I know DCC Mod adds in red hair.
  • Miscellaneous small things: Some lords being sexist (would be less likely to give you fiefs and they could insult you for being a woman, but you could duel them to defend your honor), more food variety (eg. sausages/chicken), Sargoth being in the north instead of the south, greater variety in equipment between cultures (eg: right now Aserai use a lot of Sturgian armor), and last but not least, "It's almost harvesting season!" These all added to immersion in Warband's medieval world.
VIKING CONQUEST: REFORGED

• Ship travel and ship battles: This added an entire new dimension to combat and travel on the world map. It would make infantry-focused factions more viable if they could quickly make a boat to travel by river, like they did in real life. In fact, it seems like some Bannerlord factions like Sturgia are already designed as if boats were in the game; Sturgia's territory is cut in half, making it difficult for them to efficiently move their forces around.
  • Ambush attacks: This added further immersion and strategy to overworld combat, and would be a great use for the Scouting, Tactics and Roguery skill trees.
  • Hunting boar and deer: A fun diversion, and another way for the player to find food while on campaign, or make money, or gain relation with other lords by going out hunting together during a feast. Sneak up on the boar, and then either catch it before it escapes, or kill it before it gores you!
  • Minigames: Working as a farmer, miner, or lumberjack, which added a way of making money that wasn't just fighting or trading.
  • Setting camp: In VC, your camp could provide basic fortifications if you were attacked in the field, and also provided a morale bonus for resting.
  • Dog companion: A doggo friend who could even help in battle. This was teased for Bannerlord literally 5 years ago, and is unused in game files, but hasn't been mentioned since.
  • Robbing lords: You could take good equipment from captive lords for a large relationship penalty.
  • Custom start, custom end goals: You could choose to start as a king/noble to skip the earlygame grind, and you could set smaller victory goals such as making a certain amount of money or being a powerful warlord. This allowed the player more roleplaying freedom in choosing their own path, rather than the current endgame which is always to become a lord, start a family, and own all the cities.
Wow. Never played Warband. Reading this, it sounds amazing!

Mods are the best way to add all the features you mentioned, then players can pick and choose which they want .. plus these feature mods will be developed quicker.

My only thing is, a developers goal should be to build the best game possible without the additions of mods to fill in “standard” game elements.
A mod should enhance the gameplay, not complete it.
if a developer’s mindset (and I’m not saying it is TaleWorld’s, but just in general) is : “a modder can fix that.” Then why should I support that developer?

now, I’m not saying that’s your viewpoint either. You’re just saying get a mod, it will fix it quicker.
But as players/consumers, that responsibility should be on the developer/game maker, not on us and a player base or a mod community.

[QUOTE
Tale Worlds, you need to give us some hope that the lights are on and people are working on giving us the game we thought you were making. Either gather some low-hanging fruit and ease our experience in more frequent-but-less-all-encompassing patches, or, at least give us some feedback to let us know what's up.

They already have your money.

They dont care.

Feasts are absolutely needed. The 24/7 warfare really sets a stressful pacing that doesnt let us calmly enjoy the game (smithing, trading, etc). I always feel the need to join the wars because otherwise a faction will snowball.

If you are not actively out fighting the faction you support is likely to be wiped out.

There are many new features in bannerlord but yes, True, there are numerous features that bannerlord is missing from old game that they could have implemented in a new way. Books, feasts, sending missionary building hideout etc.
I hope all will be fixed fast.

Now that they seem to have finally finished the code refactor and modding tools hopefully Taleworlds can start working on bringing these features back

VC was really such an immersive game. I stopped playing the Bannerlord a few months ago in hopes that game would get VC features eventually.
Played a few days worth when it came out and was fairly decent. Had to retry it again after all the nostalgic glow here and it really feels pretty stale and not that interesting after the initial cool opening. The washed out graphics and desolate looking world just cant inspire me to commit to weeks of grinding until things get interesting.

Bannerlord for all its faults feel fresh an new - and im not normally someone who cares about fancy graphics and god rays.

Played a few days worth when it came out and was fairly decent. Had to retry it again after all the nostalgic glow here and it really feels pretty stale and not that interesting after the initial cool opening. The washed out graphics and desolate looking world just cant inspire me to commit to weeks of grinding until things get interesting.

Bannerlord for all its faults feel fresh an new - and im not normally someone who cares about fancy graphics and god rays.
Obviously it will feel dated now, but it still has some great features that shouldn’t be abandoned.

and there was one little thing i really liked is when you are in castle or a town and you talk or pass by a guard they bow there head down showing respect to you i hope they add that in the near future. and it will be nice if they add more life to the personal quarters with stuff to do, or even just servants that you tell them what to do, and they even can add the master of law and master of coin working along side with the fife governor and maybe even have the in walls plots like game of thrones.

Back
Top Bottom