Bannerlord is mis-advertised by the devs on Steam (yes, even taking into account Early Access)

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerdog

Recruit
We all know it's "Early Access", but at the moment, TW are not living up to their own advertised blurb on the Steam page of a: "stable experience where you may encounter obscure bugs". https://store.steampowered.com/app/261550/Mount__Blade_II_Bannerlord/

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The early access version of the game contains a wealth of content that will keep players engaged for many hours. While the early access version is very much stable and playable, players can expect to run into some obscure bugs and other issues while playing that we intend to locate and fix before the full release.

So lets analyze this statement... "very much stable and playable and players can expect to run into obscure bugs"? That is blatant mis-advertisement. This game suffers from MANY obvious bugs that affect core gameplay. Many features are also broken or missing and crashes are frequent for many people. The most recent patch also broke the game for many people.

This mis-advertisement of the game opens them up to potential legal issues and would certainly justify refund requests after the usual Steam period has expired. Even if a game is sold as "Early Access", to charge pretty much a full price for a game in this state, knowing that many people will buy it regardless as they are die-hard Warband fans and also because many reviewers and Youtubers re hyping it to hell and back, is in my view cynical and bordering on unethical.

For the record, I do like this game and am excited at the potential of it... but I will wait for a few more big patches before investing more time into it due to the very rough state it is in.

Depends on your idea of the term 'stable'. I have played MANY much more unstable early access games than Bannerlord...some of which have been literally unplayable ... as in I couldn't even launch the game or I couldn't play for 30 minutes without crashing to desktop.

The price they charge is based on demand for the game. High demand or consumer desire for a product leads to a higher price. Sorry, that's just basic economics ... it applies to almost every game on Steam.

The bugs might be more than 'obscure' but no lawyer would see that alone as sufficient basis for a misadvertising claim. I expect it was probably an overly optimistic statement written before launch.

To sum up, the game is not even close to being in a 'very rough state' as you put it.

In fact, as Early Access games go, it's totally playable and enjoyable, despite the areas which need attention and reworking. Nothing unethical here.

Last edited:
Please define "stable" then. Believe it or not, in my 100 h of playing the game I've encountered a total of zero crashes and one potentially savebreaking problem (I think I could've fixed it with cheats, but I had another save literally two minutes away so I didn't have to bother).

FPS is funny sometimes, but then, I've got a pretty old rig (decent for its own time, though). And it isn't even bordering unplayable levels, even with the rig in mind.

As for patches breaking the game - that's beta for you. You have been deliberately warned that unless you want to potentially sacrifice your save for the greater good, you're better off waiting for that particular patch to pass beta and hit release. Can't blame TW for an optional unstable version being unstable, ya know. They've been verbose enough to make an informed decision on versions.

As for the price - you're paying to get "the game" one day and to play it in unfinished state now. The fact that it is unfinished isn't basis for refund when it has a giant "unfinished" (EA) label and the store page warns you to refrain from purchasing if you want a complete experience. This is legit one of the most ethically sound EA entries that I've seen.

And selling the game for two bucks in its current state will result in you getting the complete game for these same two bucks, effectively making TW sell at a loss, so I don't get what the price point is about.

Look at steamcharts. There a lot players. And it is early access. I'm sure that Taleworlds managers aware of marketing issues better than us :smile:

+210 hours clocked in. All the 'crashes' were in the initial couple of versions. Patched within days. Volume of game content roughly around similar levels of MB1/WB. Combat, recruit, leveling, unit variety, all pretty solid. Many features are still missing, but the main content of the game is here and playable.

...so what's supposedly a "misadvertisement" again? Also, what's the point of this claim in the first place?

To get a refund/ To denounce the developers doing hard work? To jump on the fantasy bandwagon that starts with "oh they had 8 years..." crap? To what purpose, is this particular topic dedicated, and how does it help make it a better game?

I would dearly love to get answers on the above questions, please.

We all know it's "Early Access", but at the moment, TW are not living up to their own advertised blurb on the Steam page of a: "stable experience where you may encounter obscure bugs". https://store.steampowered.com/app/261550/Mount__Blade_II_Bannerlord/

So lets analyze this statement... "very much stable and playable and players can expect to run into obscure bugs"? That is blatant mis-advertisement. This game suffers from MANY obvious bugs that affect core gameplay. Many features are also broken or missing and crashes are frequent for many people. The most recent patch also broke the game for many people.

This mis-advertisement of the game opens them up to potential legal issues and would certainly justify refund requests after the usual Steam period has expired. Even if a game is sold as "Early Access", to charge pretty much a full price for a game in this state, knowing that many people will buy it regardless as they are die-hard Warband fans and also because many reviewers and Youtubers re hyping it to hell and back, is in my view cynical and bordering on unethical.

For the record, I do like this game and am excited at the potential of it... but I will wait for a few more big patches before investing more time into it due to the very rough state it is in.

You are joking right you openly were informed you are buying EA game so game crashing is included in EA so no legal issus plus refunds would be harder if your reason is game crashing.
As for price they can set it 1000€ or 1€ its their choice and they did not aim a gun at you and said buy it at that price

My experience? 159 hours, no crashes and enough content to play around for 159 hours. Sure, some missing perks are frustrating, there's obviously a lot more content yet to arrive (mid- and late- game stuff, diplomacy, etc), stuttering in larger battles needs to be addressed, combat AI and formations need work, economy balance is ongoing, yadda yadda yadda. For an EA game it's incredibly stable and has a lot of stuff to do.

My experience? 159 hours, no crashes and enough content to play around for 159 hours. Sure, some missing perks are frustrating, there's obviously a lot more content yet to arrive (mid- and late- game stuff, diplomacy, etc), stuttering in larger battles needs to be addressed, combat AI and formations need work, economy balance is ongoing, yadda yadda yadda. For an EA game it's incredibly stable and has a lot of stuff to do.

Yup, exactly.

+1

Yep after 160+ hours I had my first game freeze. I posted a thread and after 2 days they marked it as "In progress" so I don't see how it's not very much stable as this statement says. You need to note that this part of statement give room for the game crashes :smile:

to charge pretty much a full price for a game in this state, knowing that many people will buy it regardless as they are die-hard Warband fans and also because many reviewers and Youtubers re hyping it to hell and back, is in my view cynical and bordering on unethical.

They charge full-price because they don't want people buying in cheap and then being let-down. They'd rather have those who are not fans willing to give feedback to wait for release.

"Obscure bugs"=little clipping, a couple of missing lines of text, x-ray clipping through a particular wall, fall through the world in a particular place, texture glitches in that corner etc etc.....
Those are "obscure bugs", stuff that only mass gaming/testing can discover, here we are talking about a massive lack of features and broken (or non existing) features and mechanics.
Negating the state of the game "just because", is surely not gonna help the game....

No, this is the real mis-advertising:

"Play the game the way you want to play it! Plot your own path to power in a dynamic sandbox adventure where no two playthroughs are the same."

Who are you kidding TW?

""""""""Realistic"""""""" Economy
"See the availability of goods ebb and flow in a simulated feudal economy, where the price of everything from incense to warhorses fluctuates with supply and demand. Turn anarchy to your advantage by being the first to bring grain to a starving town after a siege or reopening a bandit-plagued caravan route."

YEAH HOPEFULLY IN THE NEXT THE DECADE PAHAHAHAHAHA

"Customise the game to experience an entirely different adventure of your own creation. The engine and tools used to develop Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord are being made available to the community, so that modders can re-interpret Calradia or create their own worlds! "

Oh yeah? Where are they?

197hrs here. Few crashes, but these still happen. Still massive memory leaks issues forcing me to restart game or even my PC every so often. And the absolute lack of contecnt and TW instead contsantly balancing same things over and over. it's not a disaster but certain peiople should stop orgasming over TW's creation. If TW deserve criticism, they should get it. And they do deserve some criticism with this one.

"Obscure bugs"=little clipping, a couple of missing lines of text, x-ray clipping through a particular wall, fall through the world in a particular place, texture glitches in that corner etc etc.....
Those are "obscure bugs", stuff that only mass gaming/testing can discover, here we are talking about a massive lack of features and broken (or non existing) features and mechanics.
Negating the state of the game "just because", is surely not gonna help the game....

Description from Steam Bannerlord site about EA:

Early Access Game
Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development.

As You can see there's info it may lack content etc.

Description from Steam Bannerlord site about EA:

Early Access Game
Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development.

As You can see there's info it may lack content etc.
Waste of time friend, you can link and re-link this each and every time, it will either be ignored or skewed to support peoples narrative.

Bugg obscur yes
i bought six workshop and they disppear all
i was form a kingdom and convince 3lord to join me
one -44 in relationship one 0 in relationship and a other 12 in relationship
i bring the lord 0 and 12 with me and they change of faction automatic without reason but the -44 stay faithful to me wtf
if that not some obscur bugg what is it?

60$ for a funny game but so buggy
then don`t say me that a thing of feature!

Back
Top Bottom