SP Modern Bannerlord Crimea game design doc tutorial (WIP)

Users who are viewing this thread

RMOD-Dylan

Regular
"About me later, this is about the idea not about me."​
-Dylan White
Former short lived 3d artist for start-up Evil Tree Studio in Henderson,NV.

Game Design Documentation for lazy people like me: Work In Progress

Proposal Assigned: Total Conversion Mod for Mount and Blade (Bannerlord sequel).

Introduction to why I propose a total modification mod for "popular" game and internet meme worthy Kotaku followings and publicity.
Due to assigned and provided following of Mount and Blade popularity and lack of total conversion mods I propose to make a total modification with a community featured website as a resume piece free to play mod. These are great pieces to provide for future game employment opportunities. So listen, and people like me, do these as often as you can. Great games come from hard work, and shouldn't cost you a dime if you just DO THE WORK, AND ACTUALLY WANT TO GET A FOOT IN THE DOOR!

Game in proposal:

MMO / Single Player Real Time Simulator, Third/First Person Simulation, Modern Day Shooter with Deep Character Item Customization.
[Place Holder for art]

Guns, Gun variants (G36K or G36C/Sighted1/Csilenced/CsilencedSighted1/CsilencedSighted2)
My second model ever. Not great, but super old placeholder image.

Armor, Armor variants (UN Kevlar/Light/Heavy Vest, UN Helmet/Light/Heavy, Boots/Black/Tan/Etc)
[Place Holder for art]

Mod Introduction:
This will be a play on the current war time planning in the Crimea. In the news we understand the rumors of Blackwater PMCs infiltrating the area. PMCs are a factor in the success of how these hostilities will play in the event of war.

Featuring a battle occurring in the same region as the over Calradia(R?) world map. Factions are as follows and will replace the current 6 or 7 in the game. Will look up and replace because remember your sources stupid, and quit being lazy like me. This is all offhand and don't make me explain myself to those reading.

FACTIONS: Who we will be playing against and choosing from.

The Veagirs/Russian VDV: They are Russians equivalency in mount and blade and will make a return as the Russians VDV Units. White Color Units

Khergit Khanate/ Blackwater PMC: The US Private military group replaces the Khans. Might see an initial balance in favor of Russian VDV, but can possibly wage war indiscriminately. Purple colored units.

The Nords/USA: Vikings invading would be replaced by the United States. Having already established a frontline defense having expedited the Crimea into the United Nations. Blue colored units.

The Rhodoks/Crimea: Would be the Crimean front line soldiers in their borders before the war. Expedited into the United Nations, the Crimea has initial allies. Green colored units.

Units: The units we will be playing with and against.

Caravan : UN Peace keepers are the replacement of caravans. Will follow up with ideas. Loadouts, environments, art, dialog, voice overs.

UN Soldier: Basic UN Nations Loadout with modified weapons, and uniforms.

Loadout:
Firearms :
M16a4 or similar with holo sight
Base stats modified DMG +0, RNG:+1, ACC:+1, SPD+1

M9 or equivalent 9mm low caliber pistol
Base DMG +0, RNG:+0, ACC:+0, SPD+0

Kabar Knife or similar [placeholder image]

Ammo :
(2 Magazines) 5.56 FMJ [placeholder image]
Base DMG +0

(1 Magazine) 9mm or similar [placeholder image]
Base DMG +0

Gear :
UN Kevlar Vest [placeholder image]
UN Helmet [placeholder image]

UN Veteran: Higher tiered, better stats and equipment than UN Soldier

Loadout:
Firearms:
M16a4 or similar with holo sight and forgrip
Stats modified: Base DMG +0, RNG:+1, ACC:+1, SPD+3

M9 or equivalent 9mm low caliber pistol with laser sight
Base DMG +0, RNG:+0, ACC:+1, SPD+1

Kabar Knife or similar [placeholder image]

Ammo :
(3 Magazines) 5.56 FMJ [placeholder image]
Base DMG +0

(2 magazines) 9mm or similar [placeholder image]
Base DMG +0

Gear :
UN Medium Kevlar Vest [placeholder image]
Stats modified: +3 protection
UN Medium Helmet [placeholder image]
Stats modified: +3 protection

To be continued: Day 2.

Art:
This documentation of "game proposal and wip tutorial to creating game design docs for dummies." is a formation of a mod idea I have for Mount and Blade Bannerlord. Its promising ease of use mod tools might make a great next gen engine to work with. Should the aspiring artists participating have the unique 3d skill set to make hyper realism, or should it be quick and easy art to benefit the lack of artists or solo artists making a short showcase. The mod would have full focus on creating new assets for environments, weapons, character art, and 2d/3d layouts for general design. A complete overhaul if possible.

Forgive the formatting. I did a quick edit for the wall of text, but had something more intricate to look at. Will fix. WIP.

Day 3:

Reference:

Environment: Should resemble Crimean climate, architecture, and general aesthetics.
Tip: One main reference folder containing subfolders for reference "graveyard". Should contain more photos for reference than you need to study.
Myphotos>BannerlordCrimea_Ref>(Specific)Enviornment

Russian Faction:

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/0rtu0yj]

Crimea:

PMC (Blackwater):

Militia:

Et Cetera.

Concept Art: Work in Progress
[Place holder images]

ThaneWulfgharn said:
Is this a concept for a Crimean War Bannerlord Mod? Interesting concept...
Yeah, its a proof of concept for a Bannerlord mod I want to develop. Of course, its only me and my rig isnt very powerful so I need to plan ahead for Bannerlord using a design doc to get the legwork underway. Its not very pretty in its current form, but itll be more organized for just about anyone to jump in and help making assets. I know my way around 3d, but the programming and pipeline will be new to me.

I never understand these "future bannerlord mod proposals". You can do very little until bannerlord is actually released (or at least some more detailed information on it). The only things you may be able to model and texture are scene props and perhaps a few weapons, and even then nobody knows what kind of polycount these things should be - it will be higher than WB but we know very little more than that. No clothing/ outfits can really be made - we do not know the resting pose bannerlord will use for them, it will hopefully be different from Warband's current pose and have the arms in a more relaxed downward position, and I would guess that it will actually be in a pose like this, but nobody outside of Taleworlds knows really.

I suppose you can set out a plan for a mod, but nothing much more than that in my opinion.

La Grandmaster said:
I never understand these "future bannerlord mod proposals". You can do very little until bannerlord is actually released (or at least some more detailed information on it). The only things you may be able to model and texture are scene props and perhaps a few weapons, and even then nobody knows what kind of polycount these things should be - it will be higher than WB but we know very little more than that. No clothing/ outfits can really be made - we do not know the resting pose bannerlord will use for them, it will hopefully be different from Warband's current pose and have the arms in a more relaxed downward position, and I would guess that it will actually be in a pose like this, but nobody outside of Taleworlds knows really.

I suppose you can set out a plan for a mod, but nothing much more than that in my opinion.
Dont read too far into it, im not even asking for help. If all it does in the future is give me something to work on while I recover from 7 dislocated vertebrae im good. For now, this is intended to be a design doc, which you all may take something away from if you try. I chose to do something unique about whats going on in real life at the moment and it might be fun to make some assets to just drop in the editor whenever it comes out. If I just do a fly through of a level design I had fun for hundreds of hours working with a game series I enjoy.

However, you are correct and I worry this is not the engine for me to use because I know nothing of it besides a hyped up editor for mods. No details, no specs, just speculation. You guys might benefit from being a little nicer to a forum newb like me because I do know a lot about 3d modeling and have industry experience. Can always help out a mod I personally find more interesting or do-able.

I don't La Grandmaster can get very nicer then that if you don't want him to give you cookies  :razz: Or perhaps i missed something? Anyways, i believe you would benefit more from modding Warband if you know very little to atleast get some experience. It might take years before Bonerlord releases.

Tybalt_ said:
I don't La Grandmaster can get very nicer then that if you don't want him to give you cookies  :razz: Or perhaps i missed something? Anyways, i believe you would benefit more from modding Warband if you know very little to atleast get some experience. It might take years before Bonerlord releases.
Bonerlord... lol! The reason I dont want to go for modding Warband is that its a little bit of a step backward instead of the step forward I wanted to take. Though money has dictated my purchase for a lazy PC and will be painful to mod with. Its under spec for what I need.

Third update on Bannerlord Crimea Design Doc (WIP Tutorial).

It is important to keep your format as easy to read as possible. Color coded for easy index and referencing and partitioning of ideas. Tonight I included a small section illustrating a simplistic referencing system for you to store your reference photos. This hierarchy should be applied to all instances for easy indexing with your "graveyard" of photos.

Obviously the reference section would branch off into your concept art next, however I am not at this stage in my personal development and will remain a placeholder section for updates. The design doc will see many revisions in its lifespan of the project. Nothing should ever be concrete. Projects change during development.

Wave to Alan should he take a look at this.

RMOD-Dylan said:
However, you are correct and I worry this is not the engine for me to use because I know nothing of it besides a hyped up editor for mods. No details, no specs, just speculation. You guys might benefit from being a little nicer to a forum newb like me because I do know a lot about 3d modeling and have industry experience. Can always help out a mod I personally find more interesting or do-able.
I do take back what I said somewhat, the vast majority of mod "proposals" are done by people with 0 experience in coding and modelling, who are pretty much looking for people to create a mod for them. It is clear that you are capable of some pretty decent looking models and you aren't looking for people to create a mod for you. And I can completely understand you not wanting to mod warband as you may think of it as a bit of a step backwards, however I would point out that it is "likely" that modding bannerlord will be "somewhat similar" to modding warband (but not at all definite)

La Grandmaster said:
I do take back what I said somewhat, the vast majority of mod "proposals" are done by people with 0 experience in coding and modelling, who are pretty much looking for people to create a mod for them. It is clear that you are capable of some pretty decent looking models and you aren't looking for people to create a mod for you. And I can completely understand you not wanting to mod warband as you may think of it as a bit of a step backwards, however I would point out that it is "likely" that modding bannerlord will be "somewhat similar" to modding warband (but not at all definite)

I'm still trying to figure out if this is really a "Mod Under Construction or if it's a "Tutorial" as stated in the subject line. I would agree with Grandmaster, while yes you do have some very good looking models, if you can't actually work with the module system then you're going to be out of luck.  All the coders that are still around have their own mods, and I doubt they'd want to spend time on something other than the mod they've already poured hundreds of hours into.

Not trying to be a troll, just giving realistic advice.  Going off of what Grandmaster was saying, it might be wise to fool around with the module system to get some experience though.  I recommend this as well, because if you do look at some of Bannerlord's screenshots they do look a lot like Warband only with up to date graphics.  Even the scene editor has a familiar feel to it.  I'm not a programmer but I would bet that if they were using something drastically different then some of the items we're seeing would be drastically different as well.

Good luck with your project, but if this is really just a tutorial, then it probably should've gone here: Unofficial Tutorials

hiner said:
La Grandmaster said:

I'm still trying to figure out if this is really a "Mod Under Construction or if it's a "Tutorial" as stated in the subject line. I would agree with Grandmaster, while yes you do have some very good looking models, if you can't actually work with the module system then you're going to be out of luck.  All the coders that are still around have their own mods, and I doubt they'd want to spend time on something other than the mod they've already poured hundreds of hours into.

Not trying to be a troll, just giving realistic advice.  Going off of what Grandmaster was saying, it might be wise to fool around with the module system to get some experience though.  I recommend this as well, because if you do look at some of Bannerlord's screenshots they do look a lot like Warband only with up to date graphics.  Even the scene editor has a familiar feel to it.  I'm not a programmer but I would bet that if they were using something drastically different then some of the items we're seeing would be drastically different as well.

Good luck with your project, but if this is really just a tutorial, then it probably should've gone here: Unofficial Tutorials
Its a hybrid tutorial I suppose. If you watch me progress and edit as I go you will understand the process of creating a game design doc. Very important if you want to be a "game designer". In this project I am the game designer, artist, coder, sound guy right now. But I am really just an artist (and I am working through a severe injury). This is a very real idea I wish to put into effect when the tools are there to use.

For a long time I have wanted to create a "how to" for people looking to make it in the industry.  This is the bones of the operation. The flesh comes with the implementation. Im not looking to gather help, I know I could figure it out on my own eventually when it gets here. My main motive was to teach some of you guys about a proper game design doc, which I dont think has been seen in the wild of the modding scene. If the whole thing is for a portfolio, my second motive, you want it to be presentable and a point of reference when developing.

Back
Top Bottom