Bannerlord Coop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a Warband thread, but I was curious whether or not anyone knows if the upcoming Bannerlord will have some form of campaign coop?

It's been discussed at great length already in many threads. It's obviously a heavily requested feature but the main issue with it is how time would flow with multiple players. In singleplayer you do a lot of pausing and fast forward, not to mention that time flows entirely differently during a battle or on the campaign map. Incorporating this into coop requires compromises such as forcing the players to share a single party or forcing everything to run at the same speed.

Hmmm, ok :smile:
I was hoping that they might have laid out some planned features, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

TBH, I'd be happy just to have my pals serve as retainers in my warband (a bit like the battle time mod), even maybe having their own set of troops within my warband.

the only way the coop would be realy enjoyable would be if every player had his own party

i dont see the problem with the time flow...

i would say, the coop just make sense with... lets say up to 4 players... 4 players is a small number so they will be able to make compromise...

the battles could just take as long, as they do: What i what to say: if player 1 is fighting looters and needs 30sec to kill them all, the fight on the campainmap takes 30sec if he is a trollish coward and runs away from the looters all the time, the battle takes forever, or so long till player 2 (or 3 or 4) somehow interfers... and if noone interfers, the other players just can mind there own buissnes and let the 1. dude run in a circle with a "waaahhhhh" crying band of looters in his back

sure the players would want to let the time pass faster at some point (example: a siege and they are waiting for the sigetower to be finished)
in this case it could just be like it is in the total war series: if one player klicks on the faster-botton the other players see that and as soon as everyone klicked on faster, the game runs faster till someone klicks on normal speed again
same goes for pausing: if all (or maybe the host) klick on pause, the game pauses,  so if you would stand still on the campain map the time would still flow, like if you hold down space in the normal sp-warband now

the normal timeflow would be the same as it is in warband-sp now wile you are walking around or holding space

i realy hope, that the devs will put in coop since players request this since the first rumors of a mp in mount and blade at all

There's actually a big problem with time flow. If someone thinks it's a simple matter they haven't thought enough about it.

I would hope that they figure out a way to do it. There are a large number of players who want this desperately, including me. We've seen two new games come and go without this, and a third one in the works where they've already stated it's probably not going to happen. I am forced to wonder if Bannerlord would really compel anyone to buy yet another somewhat upgraded version of the original that doesn't offer that much more than Warband and it's many amazing mods. Yeah I know some of the features sound great, and this company releases solid work, but Warband mods continue to blow my mind and keep me playing this game. I'm quite sure people will mod for Bannerlords, but without co-op... I'm laboring the point.

In my mind I would say they'd be crazy not do find a way to implement co-op. Though I do admit that my judgment is clouded by how badly I want a co-op version of this game. It seems to me that if they're truly rebuilding the game from the ground up, then they're missing an opportunity to correct on past oversights. What a waste!

IMO, the simplest way to resolve the time flow issue with multiple player parties in regards to battles is to have players whose parties aren't involved in the battle be given control of a friendly unit during the battle, and optionally allow them to continue spawning into different bots when they die. This respawning functionality actually already exists in Warband multiplayer as a server option. Obviously, the player in command of the battle shouldn't be allowed to respawn in control of a bot. In this way, all players are present in all battles, so nobody has a long, boring dry spell.

I think dialogues between parties on the map and battles should pause the world map as they currently do, but entering towns and dialogue within towns should not. Players in towns should be able to leave if they come under siege while they're inside, and the assault shouldn't be allowed to begin until the player(s) inside have left or chosen to participate. When the decision to assault is made, the world map should pause (as it's a battle initiation).

That said, I don't think Bannerlord will have multiplayer coop on release unless that's the primary reason for the devs being tight-lipped for so long. It could be a surprise.

mount and blade isnt a turnbased game, why not let the players who are not involved in a battle do what they want (run around the campaign map, do quests, state there own battles)

BananaBob said:
mount and blade isnt a turnbased game, why not let the players who are not involved in a battle do what they want (run around the campaign map, do quests, state there own battles)

That could very well work out.

In my own two cents, there's a whole list of things I could see possible with Bannerlord coop. There's a few below.

- Individual quests (One player has a quest, while another has their own, etc.)
- Conflicting quests (One person fighting for a rebellion, where the other player has to stop the rebellion)
- When one player is in a battle, another player can approach the battle and attempt to join. This brings up a menu for the first player, saying "Reinforcements have arrived" or "Another player joined the battle on the side of "..." or something.
- Diplomacy between two players who rule kingdoms can be interesting.

Only cons I could see to this coop thing is...

- There would have to be two parties, and they can't share line of sight.
- Connection issues
- Fief grants if two players are in the same faction (There's only one fief that is given to a player in Warband, currently, and if another player were to join a faction, then it could complicate things.)

But if there is Bannerlord Co-op, then I'll be right there begging for them to take my money  :grin:

I could be wrong, but I heard that the whole co-op thing was scrapped, and I heard that a WHILE ago. I can understand why, as well. The games way of function would have to be rethought, and I believe the devs want to stick to ye olde whey of playing. At least for Bannerlord.

It doesn't -have- to be two parties. I mean you could have the 2nd player play as a hero. Obviously not quite as good as 2 parties, but better than nothing.

Yeah, my original thought from years ago was just playing co op, where the other players are party members that control a section of forces during battle. You could get some features going to keep them engaged during traversal, but really just need a chat and that is it, no time scale problem snd simple co op.

i still think, its do-able in the way i said

if you just want to play the game with a friend who is "just" a partymember who helps you in battle there is a mod for you: "Battle Time!"

I dont see what the problem would be with having each player able to control an AI when the others have a battle, and fast travel isn't really needed, just a luxury.

Well since people encourage the usuage of the search feature i shall necropost.

Any update on whether or not there will be co-op? i mean

making the campaign map always real time IE no pausing  would allow people to do their own thing without a problem. allowing AI and players to connect to an join battles in progress would solve the battle problem..Simply have the battles load seperate instances  like any other game with multiplayer that has multiple areas for players to traverse.

if the AI and human players can join battles in progress that would remove the 'unfair' part of letting more humans join but not the AI but remove the AI instantly knowing everything. So that they won't immediately go join a battle that isn't in their line of sight, an make it so that they might refuse to join if the people fighting aren't their friends..since Nobles might refuse to reinforce someone they don't like if it benefits them.

just like a human player might ignore coming to help you if they think you can win , don't wanna risk their force ,or won't you to lose so it benefits them.

so long as the framework makes it possible i don't see a problem with it.

as for fiefs in a kingdom ...well they can give out ones available an make you wait/capture your own to have one.  or perhaps give us the ability when we join a faction to do what most want to do anyway. which is found our own settlement with permission of the lord. an design our own crest and march under our own names.  perhaps have the resources in the area effect what you generate as 'trade' goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom