SP - General Banner mania confuses me. How can we change that?

Users who are viewing this thread

So it's cool that every dam party has a flag waving high in the air above them, but that still doesn't tell me crap oh who they are. Banners and flags should be distinct that from afar we can tell who they are roughly and their affiliation (beyond just by color). We know that each faction has their colors, and each faction has their liege and noble lords, and then also we have minor factions and independent merc bands just like us. But how do you tell who the heck is who until you talk to them? and even then, when they tell you who they are...it's like okay guy if you say so. But here's what i'm proposing!

Flags should be different shapes depending on who the character is. Rulers should have a distinct shape, so when we see them its like, "Hey! that's king whatshisface". Next comes the noble lords. They should again have their specific shape flags so we can tell, that that's a noble lord of that color faction right there. so pretty much you know what i'm getting at. Banners and flags need to be more distinguishable.

But the one thing that should be extremely different is merc banners, we hold no loyalty to no one but the coin. And we should proudly be displaying that but also be reminded of that. We should fly our distinctly shaped flags showing we are a merc party, and then when under the coin of a faction. We should have to fly that kingdoms colors above ours. Symbolic and beautiful. We serve and fight, but for the right paying coin.

This of course only in the campaign map.

+1
Something like that was even done in real life. A banner is composed of different elements, such as the helm/crown, dependent on how that element is stylized one could tell what rank the dynasty has.
Kings/emperors should just have a crown on top of their banner, nobles could just have a knightshelm and mercs would have nothing.

A banner is composed of different elements, such as the helm/crown, dependent on how that element is stylized one could tell what rank the dynasty has.
Exactly my man, the kings standard and all his more royal nobles should be distinguishable from everyone else's. Most particularly the kings. Not any joe smoe can just pick a flag design and raise it, and have it look identical to the kings.

@Piconi it's not so much the color or enblem design that needs to be more unique. It the flying flag itself. Nice nod tho, looks like warband elements.

Tnx, i was going for that connection both in variation of banner aesthetics and lore-wise with Warband. I agree that the standards should be more different for rulers themselves, simmilar to an outline when an army is made, maybe it needs to be bigger, horizontal or something. I like that idea.

maybe it needs to be bigger, horizontal or something. I like that idea.

Honestly all the above. Some could have fish tales, some could up ways or side ways. Anything just to make them more distinguishable.

I would love the royalty to have trimming on theirs or flowing tassels. Merc parties to be a common color amongst sellswords.

Back
Top Bottom