Bandits (all types) in their current implementation are adding more tedium than value to the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

It's not coming though.
Exactly. I remember, Duh was mentioning some technical difficulties which prevent them from adding manhunters into the game, but without any details. This mechanic is needed, because bandits in Bannerlord are like rabbits - blink once - you get a hundred; blink twice - you get a thousand;

I'd be cool if they could merge into large parties and if they got into the 100's could siege a castle and if succesful would start a new minor faction.
No one wants to hunt down parties of 6 looters late game...

I recently learned on these forums that there wont be Manhunter parties or other form of bandit control because the AI needs this amount of bandits in order to level its troops.

Even if it would be the case, this does not explain why bandit party size scales with the player’s level.

+1 to this thread, I also hate to have to deal with bandits in medium/late game. Even if I am a king, I always feel like a manhunter having to deal with these bandits. Plus quest requeriments for companions are to high, which makes things worse.

Even if it would be the case, this does not explain why bandit party size scales with the player’s level.

+1 to this thread, I also hate to have to deal with bandits in medium/late game. Even if I am a king, I always feel like a manhunter having to deal with these bandits. Plus quest requeriments for companions are to high, which makes things worse.
It becomes a major problem for caravans/villager parties survival late game, either they need to chill with the looter scaling party size or allow caravans/villager parties to scale as well.

Such a lost potential to make bandits into a cool feature.

If they tied it to prosperity/security instead of player level (wtf) you would have a real good incentive to clear bandits from your region since it would really improve prosperity over time (like-wise for ai).

it could start with one hideout + a few parties spawning and if left unchecked they would tank prosperity in the region and spawn more hideouts and more bandit parties and at "worst level" maybe the bandits could unite under a gangleader and spawn a huge bandit army with the ability to raid villages? kinda like the "bandit militias mod" but integrated into the base game.

The sandbox world really needs more dynamic things like that to keep it interesting over time.

Agree with all good ideas here.

It is like all the base is there already but for some reason TW will not add anything immersive on it.

Multiples mods already do it and have existed as far back as within the first 30 days of early access being released.

They said the same thing about being a single soldier in a lord's army and they said the same thing about making companion's into vassals.
Yes, it's always the same story. They say that something is impossible or hard to implement technically-wise, and then a modder or two come out with the mod implementing the very same thing the devs said would be complicated to add.

I recently learned on these forums that there wont be Manhunter parties or other form of bandit control because the AI needs this amount of bandits in order to level its troops.
This is a completely idiotic design though. They should instead compensate with "trainer" ability like in M&B, that would be both simpler and more immersive (compared to having seas of bandits everywhere).

This is a completely idiotic design though. They should instead compensate with "trainer" ability like in M&B, that would be both simpler and more immersive (compared to having seas of bandits everywhere).
Absolutely. Especially considering it scales with Player level. I have bandit parties of 80+ running around. The lords that are supposed to level their troops, gain loot and thin the bandit herde just cant. So they keep having recruits, running around, having expenses and not being able to go to war and earn more money.

AI should be more proactive and smart about killing bandits and hideouts. All landed clans should have 1 party that does issues and hideouts and kills bandits. They should never all be in an army waddling around. Towns should spawn manhunters if there's too many bandits nearby for too long.

I honestly just use Calradia at War (Custom Spawns) to address some of these points, and make the game an overall more chaotic and enjoyable experience. Both allied and enemy parties added to the map, all with custom AI and diplomacy. Matching it up with Improved Garrisons and K's Party Sizes is even better

Unfortunately, the linked mod seems to be abandoned and only supported for 1.5.9, welcome to "that's just how it is". Outside of relying on mods, in terms of the vanilla gameplay, yeah, it would be nice to have some of this implemented. Realistically, don't expect them. It's clear this is not a 1:1 to Warband.

Bandits need to be a bigger issue. Hideouts should have a counter on them that adds a notch for every victory achieve by it's offspring bandit parties. every 15 days it creates a environment appropriate bandit party with 100 units for every victory. said parties will take on cities if strong enough and develop into a rebellion culturally appropriate to the bandit party. low level players can stop it by reporting encampments to nearby cities who will raid the hideout like a normal siege and high level ones take them on themselves. this allows dead cultures to continue to rise with more regularity as ignoring, or not finding a hideout could result in a hentai level threat to your city.

Good suggestions in the thread.
Most of the battles the player experience is against the endless groups of bandits.
These fights are a big and constantly occurring part of the game experience. But it's completely trash in entertainment value.

Imagine if they made bandits fun and useful to fight, the game would be so much better.
Now it's just the same attack and chase everyone when they flee after 5 seconds of fighting. And it's over and over and nothing you can do will change the fact that they will always be there and you have to deal with them.
The only challenge with the bandits is to fight the long term boredom and annoyance of dealing with them after the early game.

The devs should abandon all other work doing improved graphics, voice acting and so on and focus on and overhaul the things the players experience the most that are trash. The bandits is priority 1 imo. After that siege battles and the AI problems.

Adding more to this discussion as the game has had no updates on this problem. As mentioned in the OP and by others in this thread (and in other threads), bandit party sizes scaling up with the player has very negative consequences as the game progresses, i.e making caravans near worthless as they constantly get captured. Yesterday I had a new record for this, a 22k caravan was captured less than 30 seconds!! after creation by a 70 man group of sea bandits.

Here's some screenshots to show what happens the player doesn't clean out bandits themselves. Look at this utter spam.
rUqOoJs.jpg

VSCUIMN.jpg

Interestingly, the spam is almost entirely contained to Vlandia. I'm playing as Vlandia, lvl 6 or 7 clan, was King for a while etc. We control just under 1/3rd of the map. This spam is all over Vlandian territory (especially the "home" areas they start with), but there's very little in any of the other faction controlled territories - just a couple here and there. I don't know if this is just bad luck or some kind of artificial difficulty. Note: this campaign was started AFTER the previous bandit bug fix were they were congregating in one area.

With this in mind, with what's in the OP & what others have said about negative consequences of the current bandit implementation (particularly the scaling up with the player and its negative impact on caravans), I would very much appreciate a response from of TWs game designers on this issue.

• In what way is this current bandit implementation considered to be good game design that positively adds to the player experience?
  • In what way do the positives of the current bandit implementation (I'm assuming you can name them) outweigh all the objective negatives that are mentioned in this thread?

Back
Top Bottom