SP - General Bandit Hideouts needs reworking

Users who are viewing this thread

In this thread, I'll discuss the current issues plaguing the hideout system and what I think would improve it.
From my experience, Bandit Hideouts are the worst part of the current Bannerlord II experience and I desperately wish
to see changes to them.

Bandit Hideout Issues

- Spawn Rate: Hideouts spawn faster than the player can deal with. Regions like Aseria, Vlandia, and Kuzait can have dozens of hideouts spawn over time.
Even if the player dedicates time to destroying them, a new one will pop-up as soon as they eradicate one.

- Rewards are Poor: It is not worth the players time to eradicating hideouts apart from quests. The notable relation gain is measly and the trait gain makes no sense (honest trait?)

- No true impact: Hideouts don't do anything significant in the grand scale. They spawn parties that harass villagers and that is all. Why take the time to destroy them if they simply have a small impact on economy?

- Dissuade establishing caravans: Caravans have no chance mid-to-late game. There are hundreds of bandit parties roaming the map and the caravan size ensures it will be attacked. Combined with the low profits that caravans provide ensures the player most likely will not bother with this mechanic.

- "Uglify" the map: The hideouts spawn just way, way too many parties. Travelling to regions to just see dozens of small parties roaming the map is an eyesore. These parties also eat up the performance of the game.

- They never go away: This is the BIGGEST issue with hideouts. They simply never go away unless the player directly deals with them. They will just continue to spawn more parties who will eventually spawn even more hideouts.

Bandit Hideout suggestions

- Reduced Spawn Rate:
Hideouts will only spawn by towns and will be limited to 1. After clearing a hideout, a new one will not spawn for 30 - 90 days.

- Rebalance Rewards: Increase the notable relation gain to +10, including settlement owner clan. Clearing the hideout also provides valor trait points (which as far as I can tell from 600+ hours of gameplay is a trait I can never obtain in-game, as well as calculating)

- Hideouts affect settlements: When a hideout spawns, it will reduce the town's security and loyalty daily. I suggest -4 security and -1 loyalty per day.

- Reduce bandit parties spawned: Maximum of 5 bandit parties per hideout, with 15-30 unit size.

- Disappear over time: Hideouts will only exist for 100 - 120 in-game days before they disappear, after which the cooldown timer will prevent immediate respawning.

This next part is a more radical proposal to the hideout system.

Bandit Kings

- Hideouts generate infamy over time, the longer they are in an area the more infamy they occur. Infamy is also generated by bandits in that area attacking villager and caravan parties.

- If enough infamy is accrued, the hideout disappears and a Bandit King minor faction appears.

- This faction will then declare war on the settlement's kingdom and begin raiding villages.

- All nearby bandit parties will be absorbed in this army.

- Once the army is defeated, the faction is destroyed.

- If they persist for a certain enough period, they become a permanent faction and make an attempt to take a settlement to start a kingdom.

Why I suggest this

- Hideouts are simply an annoyance and not a fun mechanic in the current game. They are not worth the time of the player to deal with, add nothing positive to the experience, and are a chore to deal with. No matter how much effort the player puts toward eradicating bandit hideouts, they will never make a dent in the sheer number there are of hideouts on the map.

- By increasing rewards, limiting their appearance, and increasing the detrimental effects a hideout can have; hideouts can be a worthwhile investment for the player.

- Implementing methods in which hideouts disappear over time is ESSENTIAL. I cannot stress how annoying it is that only the player can deal with these. If there is anything to take away from this suggestion thread, please add a method in which hideouts disappear over time.

- Disappear over time: Hideouts will only exist for 100 - 120 in-game days before they disappear, after which the cooldown timer will prevent immediate respawning.
Not disappear - Spawn bandit king!
Bandit Kings
And of cource AI should try to handle the bandits before this....
- Rewards are Poor: It is not worth the players time to eradicating hideouts apart from quests. The notable relation gain is measly and the trait gain makes no sense (honest trait?)
This is my biggest issue with hideouts. Give good reward! At least 1 item of tier 4+, gold and tradegoods! It should be worth loosing men to do!

Not disappear - Spawn bandit king!

And of cource AI should try to handle the bandits before this....

This is my biggest issue with hideouts. Give good reward! At least 1 item of tier 4+, gold and tradegoods! It should be worth loosing men to do!
The idea of the bandit king was just a suggestion that I don't expect to ever make it in the game. It'd be fun for sure though.

a natural disappearance rate is something that could feasibly be implemented into the vanilla game.

The idea of the bandit king was just a suggestion that I don't expect to ever make it in the game. It'd be fun for sure though.

a natural disappearance rate is something that could feasibly be implemented into the vanilla game.
Then it´s better if AI learns to destroy them :smile: why whould bandits abandon a not-threatened hideout? :smile:

I mean, they don't need to do it like a player does it. Could be a simulated battle with militia <->bandits on the field. They loose some militia, gain some gold and gets rid of the bandits. All available parties spawned by that hideout is dragged into the battle. A short cooldown can be fine, limited to that banditfaction or that physical spot. This would mean bandits have a hard time to get a foothold in prospering land while they would greatly harass poor land, forcing the AI lord to act in person.

They only need to know the location to trigger it.

Last edited:
Bandit clan
Each bandit hideout is "ruled" by a bandit-clan. Gang leaders might favour a Bandit clan and put their influence behind them. They spawn partyleaders(not companions, "familly-members"). Bandit clans with a hideout pay very little for troops, they have lots(+200%) of very small parties(partysize -50%).

Player as bandit clan: Is a weat dream of mine and has an idea of how it chould/could work but the game lacks too much support for it atm. If this or something simelar became true, I´d love to suggest a way forward!

From my suggestion "The Clan"

In that suggestion I´m proposing different clans playing by different rules - it´s not dedicated to bandit gameplay.

In this thread, I'll discuss the current issues plaguing the hideout system and what I think would improve it.
From my experience, Bandit Hideouts are the worst part of the current Bannerlord II experience and I desperately wish
to see changes to them.

Bandit Hideout Issues

- Spawn Rate: Hideouts spawn faster than the player can deal with. Regions like Aseria, Vlandia, and Kuzait can have dozens of hideouts spawn over time.
Even if the player dedicates time to destroying them, a new one will pop-up as soon as they eradicate one.

- No true impact: Hideouts don't do anything significant in the grand scale. They spawn parties that harass villagers and that is all. Why take the time to destroy them if they simply have a small impact on economy?

- Dissuade establishing caravans: Caravans have no chance mid-to-late game. There are hundreds of bandit parties roaming the map and the caravan size ensures it will be attacked. Combined with the low profits that caravans provide ensures the player most likely will not bother with this mechanic.

- "Uglify" the map: The hideouts spawn just way, way too many parties. Travelling to regions to just see dozens of small parties roaming the map is an eyesore. These parties also eat up the performance of the game.

- They never go away: This is the BIGGEST issue with hideouts. They simply never go away unless the player directly deals with them. They will just continue to spawn more parties who will eventually spawn even more hideouts.

Bandit Hideout suggestions

- Reduced Spawn Rate:
Hideouts will only spawn by towns and will be limited to 1. After clearing a hideout, a new one will not spawn for 30 - 90 days.

- Rebalance Rewards: Increase the notable relation gain to +10, including settlement owner clan. Clearing the hideout also provides valor trait points (which as far as I can tell from 600+ hours of gameplay is a trait I can never obtain in-game, as well as calculating)

- Hideouts affect settlements: When a hideout spawns, it will reduce the town's security and loyalty daily. I suggest -4 security and -1 loyalty per day.

- Reduce bandit parties spawned: Maximum of 5 bandit parties per hideout, with 15-30 unit size.

This next part is a more radical proposal to the hideout system.

Bandit Kings

- Hideouts generate infamy over time, the longer they are in an area the more infamy they occur. Infamy is also generated by bandits in that area attacking villager and caravan parties.

- If enough infamy is accrued, the hideout disappears and a Bandit King minor faction appears.

- This faction will then declare war on the settlement's kingdom and begin raiding villages.

- All nearby bandit parties will be absorbed in this army.

- Once the army is defeated, the faction is destroyed.

- If they persist for a certain enough period, they become a permanent faction and make an attempt to take a settlement to start a kingdom.

Why I suggest this

- Hideouts are simply an annoyance and not a fun mechanic in the current game. They are not worth the time of the player to deal with, add nothing positive to the experience, and are a chore to deal with. No matter how much effort the player puts toward eradicating bandit hideouts, they will never make a dent in the sheer number there are of hideouts on the map.

- By increasing rewards, limiting their appearance, and increasing the detrimental effects a hideout can have; hideouts can be a worthwhile investment for the player.

- Implementing methods in which hideouts disappear over time is ESSENTIAL. I cannot stress how annoying it is that only the player can deal with these. If there is anything to take away from this suggestion thread, please add a method in which hideouts disappear over time.
I agree with you. I also wanted to add that I don't understand why bandits spawn out of nowhere. The population of nearby settlements and the number of bandits should be correlated. Also, prosperity should also affect the spawn of bandits. The smaller it is, the more peasants become bandits.

The biggest problem I run into is that Hideouts cause a big negative to (Security, I think?) but there's nothing telling you where the one(s) affecting security are. Earlier in present game Simira castle was majorly affected by this and I tried to eradicate this. I killed 2 hideouts close to the settlements and it didn't affect it. I killed one fairly close to Akkalat and the problem still existed. Finally I did a full circle around the mountain, killed 2 more, and the penalty was put to rest. Seriously? I'm warring multiple factions and you are going to require me to kill off 5 hideouts? Have someone in a town or village give me a quest for it & pinpoint it and I'll take care of it, but don't make me search for it. Not only does the game not highlight it for you, but at times it can be a hideout that you haven't even discovered yet.

I wonder a little if the complaints on this thread about there not being enough reward to do them spawned Taleworlds' idea to make it a penalty if you don't do them. I don't mind doing them myself and the rewards can be fairly good for early game, but once you join a faction and are always at war(s) you just don't have the time for them. I wish they would make it a quest every time it caused a negative and I wish you could assign companions for just the needed amount of time. I mean its ridiculous for Taleworlds to say you can do this yourself in one day with 9 men or you can assign a companion with 25 men for 3 weeks. If it takes you a day to do it, it shouldn't take a companion more then 2 days. I can't afford to set aside 20 or more men for weeks at a time when I am always at war.

As an update to my comments, I took a break from the constant wars to check on Lycaron. Security taking a hit because of nearby hideout. Go hit the closest hideout & come back. Nope, still hideout problem. Go hit the next hideout and come back to check. Nope, still a hideout problem. Finally, I visit a 3rd and the penalty disappears. Meanwhile, while doing this I lost a town and a castle and a 2nd town is being besieged. My worthless lords can't be bothered to even try defending them. If the devs want us to spend more time with things like hideouts they need to fix the war logic so the game isn't CONSTANT war. Its a war game and I like fighting battles, but having 3 to 4 (or more) factions at war with you at e all times leaves time for nothing else. I wish the devs actually tried playing the game once in a while so they could understand the complaints.

Still an annoyance. Recently took & was rewarded with Baltakhand. Was taking a big security hit because of a hideout. Start out the gates to find it and war is declared on the other side of the (Southern Empire) kingdom. Decide to let the other lords deal with it as I have nothing in that area anyways & I don't want to lose a town to rebels.

So I go kill the only reasonably close hideout I'm aware of. Its over near Shapeshte & shouldn't be my problem, but I know how these things work. Killed it off & hideout penalty still exists. Next I go significantly northeast past Ulaan, on the eastern side of the river & find another hideout. Kill it and...nope, penalty still exists. I return to Baltakhand through the forests figuring maybe I couldn't see it from the plains. Nope, nothing there. Then near Kuruluk I notice a bandit party heading due north stating it is going to a hideout. I try the western side of the river.. Past Dinarin the forests significantly north of there I find another hideout. Kill it and the penalty still applies.

Meanwhile we've lost Poros because the AI lords are worthless, plus we lost Husn Fulq to rebels for the 3rd or 4th time & Rhagaea thinks thats a bigger priority than fighting the Western Empire and taking back Poros. So as a final attempt I go south of the river below Baltakhand to check the area around Asalig. I go as far south as Khimli, but find nothing. So off to help in the war. I raise a small army and besiege Poros, but before I can take it back our empire decides getting 100 tribute a month is a good trade for giving up Poros and the war is over.

I have no clue now where to look for the hideout. But...I did have a game once where Varnovopal was being penalized for a hideout near Argoron. So...since its a round earth and Baltakhand is on the eastern edge of the map, maybe the hideout is on the western edge of the map and I should check near Cananc for the hideout.

Back
Top Bottom