Ballista Speaks to his Roman Legions, 504ad, Aftermatch of the Battle

Users who are viewing this thread

Takeda_Shingen

Sergeant Knight
Covered in Blood, Ballista dismounts from his horse with his battered Roman Troops gathered around him. He steps out on a platform so everyman within the ranks can see their commander, their king.

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your hears. You all know who I am, I should not need to introduce myself to you then. But I do want to say this about myself. Despite me having loss a battle; a battle against stinky Barbarians, what makes me most proud is one simple fact, I am a Roman, and another proud fact is that all of you are Romans! We, Romans, descendants from the once great empire that ruled the world and is the envy of all lesser civilisations and races! You should not need to feel shame as losing such a battle, because, God smiles on those that have suffered much, think of the men, women and children who indured when the barbarians lit Rome to a flame. But God has brought us here, Britannia, a chance to rebuild the Western Roman Empire from these cursed barbarians! We may have suffered so much, but now, God has given us this chance to get things right, God has given us a second chance to deal death to these cowards! But think on this, men, they feel at least as bad as they do not have me to give them victory! So, Romans, warriors, you know full well your duty, you have always followed it for all the years you have been in the military. Some of us, when we do leave this land once more, may never see the glorious city of Constatinople again, its green fields, its paved roads, its civilisation. But remember, we will all be reunited in Heaven, because, all Romans that die here, fighting for their empire and their God, shall be rewarded with a prize in heaven, a glorious achievement. For those that live, with your scutums and your spathas close by your side, with God still smiling on you so far away from heaven, then an even greater prize awaits you. The desturction of barbarians, of those cowards, of those old-flithering crone, of those furficers, they will be gone from the light of Rome. Which sounds better? A prize in heaven, a good reward, well deserved, dying for what you believe, or fight as your ancestors fought 5 centuries ago to expand the glory of the empire, and fight with me to gain a land free of barbarians invading the only existing fragment of the glory of Rome in the western world. I choose to fight for a land free of Barbarians, because I know it is what God wishes you to do, for all good men to do. You can hear them, Romans! You can hear them across the hills, getting drunk on their victory! You hear them! You should also know that although God may protect your soul in Heaven, your corpse will not be so lucky. They will eat your heart out, eat your brains out, eat your lungs out. What an insult to civilisation to have such men breathing the air on this earth, is it not so? You hear them now, doing that to the poor souls who died for their empire and God. So, that is another reason why I choose to fight, and I do not wish to die, but I know and you all know too that God will protect us, God will lead us! So let your battle cries be, my fellow Romans, let your battle cry be "Roma Vita!" Long live Rome! Long live her empire! Long live her soldiers and her God! I hope God can hear me down from this earth, because if he can, I will say once more! ONE ISLAND, ONE GOD, ONE EMPIRE!!!!!!

Gather your arms then, friends. Gather your spathas and your scutums and let nothing stand in our path. Let our footsteps shake the earth as we, noble Romans, and our Briton allies, fellow believers in the one true God, shoulder arms together and fight against the lackeys of the old-flithering crone and that bloody false God, the nemesis of the one true God. Let the nemesis quake in fear at our swords, and our shields and our legions. Let nothing stop us then. But let us quake the earth now, so I ask you once more, I ask you once more, for Rome, let our battle cry be: ROMA VITA!

Byzantine writers at the time describe how the Romans made so much noise it could be heard from Constatinople itself. If this is true or not, it is probably not, but it certainly tells of how much noise the Romans made celebrating their leader's speech, even when they just suffered a defeat.

Byzantine writers also say believe: Nemesis-Probably means Woden, as Ballista believed Woden was a nemesis of the one true God.
Old-Flithering Crone-Likely is meant to mean, Aelle, the Lead Invader of Britannia
Cowards-Likely means the Jutes
Furcifers-Likely means the Mercians

Back
Top Bottom