Ballista =Catapult?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doofus

Sergeant
So for all of this game, in a lot of sieges the campaign map shows the castle/town I am sieging has only ballistas, 1 or more, but when I get to the battle map (simulation?) there is at least 1 catapult and sometimes more than that. If you have more than 1 catapult attacking your siege equipment there's a good chance you'll lose at least 2 of your pieces of siege equipment. If this happens, you are likely screwed in your siege. This is to the point where I rarely even start the attack until there is only 1 defensive siege equipment remaining. Don't get me wrong, ballistas can kill/wound a good number of troops, but a ballista, even 4 of them, will almost never destroy a piece of siege equipment. I would guess this happens 50% to 75% of the sieges I start. Can we please get this corrected?

On a side note, I'm not sure I understand why on the campaign map a lot of times you destroy a catapult and a ballista appears immediately in its place or destroy a ballista and a catapult appears. Is this by design or is this a glitch?

I assume this happens a lot to other players as well?

You can build and store (putting them in reserve) catapults/ballistas when attacking, so I think its the same for defending. Thats why another siege equipment appears after one is destroyed.

I notice this too and the reverse of getting ballista when map showed all catapults, but

You can build and store (putting them in reserve) catapults/ballistas when attacking, so I think its the same for defending. Thats why another siege equipment appears after one is destroyed.
^it's probably something like this, not sure though.

Wow, that really helps. Now I can suddenly plop down four trebuchets all at once and be 4vs4, instead of them getting mostly picked off 1vs4 as they're built one at a time. Thanks!

This is actually not a bug, upgraded fiefs have some starting siege engienes f.e. 2 catapults which they keep in reserve. They start the siege with building balistas. At the point where you start your siege attack they will have finished their line of balistas, so in total they have 4 balistas and 2 catapults in reserve. If you start now, they can choose what they put on the battlefield. So you have to destroy all their equipment to prevent this.
I think its depending on the "siege wall" level of the fief

Last edited:
This is actually not a bug, upgraded fiefs have some starting siege engienes f.e. 2 catapults which they keep in reserve. They start the siege with building balistas. At the point where you start your siege attack they will have finished their line of balistas, so in total they have 4 balistas and 2 catapults in reserve. If you start now, they can choose what they put on the battlefield. So you have to destroy all their equipment to prevent this.
I think its depending on the "siege wall" level of the fief
Iirc if the player is defending a settlement with an engineer in the party and he has high skill you can crank those babies out so fast the enemy has zero chance of outgunning you.

So for all of this game, in a lot of sieges the campaign map shows the castle/town I am sieging has only ballistas, 1 or more, but when I get to the battle map (simulation?) there is at least 1 catapult and sometimes more than that. If you have more than 1 catapult attacking your siege equipment there's a good chance you'll lose at least 2 of your pieces of siege equipment. If this happens, you are likely screwed in your siege. This is to the point where I rarely even start the attack until there is only 1 defensive siege equipment remaining. Don't get me wrong, ballistas can kill/wound a good number of troops, but a ballista, even 4 of them, will almost never destroy a piece of siege equipment. I would guess this happens 50% to 75% of the sieges I start. Can we please get this corrected?

On a side note, I'm not sure I understand why on the campaign map a lot of times you destroy a catapult and a ballista appears immediately in its place or destroy a ballista and a catapult appears. Is this by design or is this a glitch?

I assume this happens a lot to other players as well?
Yea, this happened to me once as well. It had a small garrison so I thought a ram and ladders would do it and they only had ballistas up, then in the simulation my ram gets demolished by a catapult.

This game really sucks sometimes. Fighting Western Empire (& Vlandia). Want to just take one town before negotiating peace with them so I'm not losing the war. I take Rhotae & while doing they take back Amitatys (which I had just finished retaking). I go back to Amitatys & start the siege with my 1100+ army before they can start a siege on Rhotae. Immediately (snap your fingers) Amitatys shows 4 catapults on the walls even though they have less than 30 troops defending. They start a siege on Rhotae, but I kind of figure I should be OK anyways as I don't think they have any big armies left. I left about 50 troops in Rhotae. Nope. By the time I destroy all but one siege equipment and siege Amitatys they've already taken back Rhotae. There's no way they should start with 4 catapults at the start of a siege especially since they didn't even have the town for more than days and had less than 30 troops in it.

Of course if the rest of my empire wasn't useless they might have defended Rhotae or even attacked something. No. They just wander around collecting troops, then need food so they wander around getting food. Then they run out of cohesion so they accomplish nothing, except perhaps taking individual parties away from being useful.

I have the largest empire, basically having taken about 80% of all our holdings. I have 12 clans in my empire. We generally have 3 and sometimes 4 armies out. You'd think the rest of the empire could do something without having to be part of my army. All they do is ask for peace when we've lost 3 or 4 territories to someone and fight me on peace when we have gained. In one situation I was at war with 5 empires. The first they forced me into when I didn't have enough influence to stop them. The next 4 were all declared on me. So I take the last holding of the Northern Empire (Epicrotia) and ask for peace. Not only do they not agree to it, but it would have taken over 1700 influence to override it. When they had absolutely nothing to gain by continuing the war and we were fighting 4 other empires. I wish it would tell you how much influence it would take to override them before making a proposal for peace. Sometimes it can be less than 500, other times over 2000. I hate wasting 100 influence for nothing when I have too many uses than I can handle already.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, but I wish the game made sense.

Back
Top Bottom