Balion Mercenaries - Official Clan Thread 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Played that Viking DLC some today. I don't know why, but I thought this would be a no brainer, especially with something like Vikingr as their guide - but sadly TW really messed this up. Even if they would have just left it Native with Viking costumes it would have been better than whatever the fu*k I just purchased.

The textures are terrible. Everything looks shiny and ultra fake (I'm using the same settings as Native). My frames in Native are 120. My frames in Viking Rip-off are about a 100, no idea why. There is a sound glitch with shield bash that follows you around even when you're not bashing. If you wear headphones you're at risk of bursting an eardrum, as the sound is amplified and never stops. Ever. Sound in general is also up the ass. Hitting an enemy's shield sounds like someone banging an empty oil drum with bat.

Remember when we all played on medium speed, and fastest seemed fast. Well Viking DLC is like...fastester. It's possible I was playing as the ancient and noble house of Cheetah, sure, but barring that, my barefoot pagan glides upon the grass at the speed of a trotting horse. Weapon swings and back-peddling match cheetah running, so melee is just awkward and dumb to watch. Yet, despite the accelerated speed - blocking is super easy. It's like I was on an autoblock server, but I wasn't.  I know because I had to ask.

I don't know what archery is. Remember Peasant's mod and how nobody could see their arrows being shot? It's like that. You just shoot them off in the general direction of other humans. You're rewarded with a zipping sound, but where you arrows go, nobody knows. It's like what it must be like playing as Zero.

I didn't ride a horse. The only good thing about Viking DLC was the server settings - 1000 gold.

TW should have just bought Vikingr and repackaged it.

Viking Conquest the DLC is terrible. I'd rather go play the piano in Napoleonic Wars.

Romans_ said:
Played that Viking DLC some today. I don't know why, but I thought this would be a no brainer, especially with something like Vikingr as their guide - but sadly TW really messed this up. Even if they would have just left it Native with Viking costumes it would have been better than whatever the fu*k I just purchased.

The textures are terrible. Everything looks shiny and ultra fake (I'm using the same settings as Native). My frames in Native are 120. My frames in Viking Rip-off are about a 100, no idea why. There is a sound glitch with shield bash that follows you around even when you're not bashing. If you wear headphones you're at risk of bursting an eardrum, as the sound is amplified and never stops. Ever. Sound in general is also up the ass. Hitting an enemy's shield sounds like someone banging an empty oil drum with bat.

Remember when we all played on medium speed, and fastest seemed fast. Well Viking DLC is like...fastester. It's possible I was playing as the ancient and noble house of Cheetah, sure, but barring that, my barefoot pagan glides upon the grass at the speed of a trotting horse. Weapon swings and back-peddling match cheetah running, so melee is just awkward and dumb to watch. Yet, despite the accelerated speed - blocking is super easy. It's like I was on an autoblock server, but I wasn't.  I know because I had to ask.

I don't know what archery is. Remember Peasant's mod and how nobody could see their arrows being shot? It's like that. You just shoot them off in the general direction of other humans. You're rewarded with a zipping sound, but where you arrows go, nobody knows. It's like what it must be like playing as Zero.

I didn't ride a horse. The only good thing about Viking DLC was the server settings - 1000 gold.

Viking Conquest the DLC is terrible. I'd rather go play the piano in Napoleonic Wars.
Yeah its bad atm. Hope they patch it and make it better

yeah while its pretty bad that TW would let something like this be published under their name. it's not their actual dev team putting this together. It's just the guys behind the brytenwald mod, not the guys making Bannerlord. while its not exactly good news for the #BannerlordHype, its pretty clear that based on the videos shown so far, VC is nothing liek Bannerlord.

Hopefully its a good lesson to everyone involved including the fanbois now crying over their broken game because at the end of the day caveat emptor, there was no real dev blogs beforehand, no real sound game play footage, and no demo for prepurchase.

it does seem that the Devs behind this learnt their lesson and I feel after a few patches this game may very well be worth buying.

but then again this could very well be all wishful thinking.

Amaranth the Druid said:
yeah while its pretty bad that TW would let something like this be published under their name. it's not their actual dev team putting this together.
That's the most important thing to remember. TW didn't make it, they licensed their engine for it. If you wanted an idea of the quality of this team's work, then you could try the Brytenwalda SP mod. I had already tried it before this DLC was announced and disliked it from the get-go. Blurred, smeary textures and awkward sounds were the norm. I don't see how it gained the cult following it has.

Nice review Romes, new career path?  :razz:

Orion said:
Amaranth the Druid said:
yeah while its pretty bad that TW would let something like this be published under their name. it's not their actual dev team putting this together.
That's the most important thing to remember. TW didn't make it, they licensed their engine for it. If you wanted an idea of the quality of this team's work, then you could try the Brytenwalda SP mod. I had already tried it before this DLC was announced and disliked it from the get-go. Blurred, smeary textures and awkward sounds were the norm. I don't see how it gained the cult following it has.
Agree on that point.  The thing that worries me at this point is numerous updates for Warband breaking it further to try and fix a DLC as with Napoleanic.

Also Face and FF in the same week...the end is nigh. 

anyone try stabbing with a spear and shield in MP?  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reminds me of someone like this:
German-armwrestler-Matthias-Schlitte-Melbourne.jpg

Romans_ said:

Great Review by Roma... ****ty game.

Good looking out brother. Now I can save some pocket change to buy a Guinness. Delicious!

We play mainly Heroes of the Storm now but we also field 5v5 at times for CS.

Want to fight with our canes and walkers, fellow dinosaur?

Also, no deal to your sig.

Man how did I now Nuke and D2 were the maps you'd want to play :smile:
I got 2 but need to train the boys a little bit and might have 5 soon. Will def play :grin:

Rhade said:
We play mainly Heroes of the Storm now but we also field 5v5 at times for CS.

Want to fight with our canes and walkers, fellow dinosaur?

Also, no deal to your sig.
I'm getting my oxygen tank filled and Peasant lubed the bearings on his wheelchair.  We're down, this weekend? 

Back
Top Bottom