Baldur's Gate 3 (from page 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhessail said:
Still, I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people bought this - the sort of clueless folk who don't know about modding and could not install them even if their life depended on it. Maybe the hipster crowd as well - "oh, look at this old school game I've got on my iPad!"

I bought it. Do I feel bad about what they've done with it? Yeah. But I tried modding my BGs and did something wrong, which only became obvious after 2 days of play (much time wasted and I can't be arsed to install all this stuff again). So, yeah, if it plays fine, I'm ok.

How did you ****-up modding since WeiDU reports all errors it encounters during installation? Or did you just ignore the error messages? What happened?

Also, I assume you mean that you preordered it already.

Jhessail said:
How did you ****-up modding since WeiDU reports all errors it encounters during installation? Or did you just ignore the error messages? What happened?

Also, I assume you mean that you preordered it already.

I installed a bunch of stuff and two were apparently in the wrong order. (no error messages though) :/ I wanted to do the whole "playing BG 1 and 2 as one long game".

Anyway, yeah, preordered.

Weird. WeiDU is great for that, because normally it spots when a mod is going to overwrite a data file that another mod had already modified and will stop and ask for instructions. Maybe one of the mods you installed was a really old one, before all IE-modders switched to WeiDU?

If you want to play the whole Trilogy in one sitting, installing BGT is a fairly straightforward process, though it does take some time. I believe the procedure has been outlined in this thread previously. I can help you set it up with the most common fix/tweak mods so you can save that $20.

Jhessail said:
Weird. WeiDU is great for that, because normally it spots when a mod is going to overwrite a data file that another mod had already modified and will stop and ask for instructions. Maybe one of the mods you installed was a really old one, before all IE-modders switched to WeiDU?

If you want to play the whole Trilogy in one sitting, installing BGT is a fairly straightforward process, though it does take some time. I believe the procedure has been outlined in this thread previously. I can help you set it up with the most common fix/tweak mods so you can save that $20.

Yeah, I think I was even following a link of yours. And indeed, it took a while. I might take you up on that offer, but I'll probably keep the preorder. Could be a gift for my dad, he used to play BG.

So the remake is launching sometime in November now, anyone else hyped for this? Always did want to play the old legend.

I'll probably get a lot of **** for saying "too old for me" but that's essentially how I'm feeling. The only few old games I still play are the ones I'm nostalgic about, what I didn't happen to play as a little kid isn't pulling me now.

...but if what they're saying about it is any indication, the re-release won't include any significant changes in "old-ness" aside from the HD, afaik, which you could easily get modded into the original.
Silly fella

This isn't a sequel or a remake. They have literally done nothing for this. They are using BGT code to get BG1 to run on BG2/TOB-engine. They are using GemRB to get BGT to run on phones and pads. They are using the various bug-fix mods to "patch" the game. The "CEO" of Beamdog is a well-known guy in the modding circles, for leeching stuff. This is the worst sort of blatant cash-grab I've seen in a long time but the modders don't really have a legal standing plus most of them are foolishly dreaming that this "Enhanced Edition" will somehow get them working in the games industry.

There will be no art overhaul. The new "GFX" is just a blur-filter which makes the game actually look worse.

The only "new" content will be a completely separate, Underdark-themed dungeon crawl, which will most likely use nothing but existing art assets and creatures. Oh yes, and a three stereotypical NPCs that you can **** since that's the only important thing to modern Bioware fans.

Finally, Beamdog has nothing to do with Bioware, except that the lying bastard who set it up used to work for Bio as a toilet cleaner years ago.

Amagic said:
Err, but for someone who doesn't own the original, wouldn't it still be better, if only by a small bit?

You could use TuTu, which runs BG1 on the BG2 engine. There are also a lot of 3rd party fixes and mods out there, since the IE games have always had fanatical modding communities. I use quite a lot of G3 mods in my BG2 games.

That said, I'm not sure if you can actually buy the original BG series anymore, except second hand. It would be awesome if they were still available, but you'd probably really struggle. Which reminds me, I should really make copies of all my CDs, just in case anything happens to the originals...

QuailLover said:
You can buy the IG games still actually. It's an all in one pack.

So it is! :eek:

Well, I kinda think everyone who doesn't already have the games should do themselves a favour and get the original games + expansions and download some mods, rather than shelling out more money on the 'enhanced' edition of the first game.

Back
Top Bottom