Badly paid mercs.

Users who are viewing this thread

DahndI

Regular
I am currently playing my character as a sellsword, working for whoever pays the price. the price just isn't very high tbh. I don't even get a 50% of my troops wages fighting for a Kingdom.

Do you guys know where I can alter this?

DahndI said:
I am currently playing my character as a sellsword, working for whoever pays the price. the price just isn't very high tbh. I don't even get a 50% of my troops wages fighting for a Kingdom.

Do you guys know where I can alter this?
The mercs price is using native's so its a bit bad (as native troops didn't cost so much). I don't know how you would change it without the module system so hopefully we'll have a fix for the wages problem by 0.6

Well, it can be changed for sure. It was in multiple mods. And it would be nice to have it here.

i think its fine as it is,maybe make it a little higher but dont make it so its always more than your troops wages,that would mean u can just do nothing and get rich

It certainly should not cover all of your troops wages.  Abuseable as ****.

Maybe 50-60%.  After all part of your payment is prisoners, loot, raiding villages of the enemy, but having the backing of an entire faction if **** goes south.

MickDick said:
It certainly should not cover all of your troops wages.  Abuseable as ****.

Maybe 50-60%.  After all part of your payment is prisoners, loot, raiding villages of the enemy, but having the backing of an entire faction if **** goes south.
Yes, i see, but currently what do you think it is? 30? 40%? I need a better feel before i go changing things, and then in a future version people come and say that they live of the merc. contracts.

The way I see it, the idea of a mercenary contract is that you're supposed to fight for the nation in question. Having them cover all your fees so you can run around doing your own thing is hardly an incentive towards that end.

Ideally, mercenary payments would be adjusted towards number/size of battles fought in aid of your faction (against major factions hostile to yours), but that's probably too difficult to script. In the absence of such a system, 60% or so is definitely a viable amount. After all, mercenaries are intended as supplementary forces, and if you're running around with a large number of high level troops, you should have a decent cash flow system set up anyway. Prior to that level, your income should be raiding villages and attacking lords - which is exactly what the marshal wants from you.

Yes I don't think the merc contract can pay you your whole wage. Fatass noble always try to hide their golds and still not shed a single drop of blood.

I'm not sure where the notion arose than mercenaries were land privateers who were expected to turn a profit by raiding commerce.  I suspect that's the tail wagging the dog -- that we think so only because it's how one survives in Warband.  Historically, mercenaries were very well paid and expected that pay to turn a profit. 

Bear in mind that mercenary contracts still require answering the Marshal's call for service, and forbid rewards of holdings.  The only possible advantage of signing a mercenary contract in Warband is the pay.  Raiding villages does not require it -- one may do that anyway, and the faction standing will end up the same as it would for mercs, anyway.  If raiding is the reason for becoming a merc, you'd do better not taking the instant enemy status and get an interference-free raid or two on a losing kingdom, then sign on afterwards with the winner.  Fighting enemy lords is also irrelevant, because one may join either side of any battle, aiding whoever is winning, and get free loot, renown, faction and prisoners without the limitations of the merc contract. 

I'd never sign a merc contract as things stand, with the absurdly low pay.  Better to build renown by siding freelance with winning sides and fighting bandits, and then going vassal to begin accumulating holdings.  If I am to be hated by an entire kingdom, be expected to follow a marshal, and be denied holdings, I had better get more pay!

The problem is, you're not expected to follow the marshal, are you? It's not like there's any kind of scripting that presses the issue. The problem is partially one of gameplay - enough times I've taken on a merc contract and then just done random stuff that isn't relevant to my nation's interest. That's essentially free money that I shouldn't be getting. If there was a requirement of x battles participated in against enemies of the realm, or y hours spent following the marshal on campaign, or something like that, then it would make a lot more sense. Both issues can be accomodated if there's a sort of gradient of pay, which scales with your usefulness to the kingdom, and rewards you with a LOT more money at the higher ends - unfortunately, I'm not sure if that's within the scope of the module system. Unless it's implemented as a bonus on top of ordinary merc pay somehow.

Moridin said:
The problem is, you're not expected to follow the marshal, are you? It's not like there's any kind of scripting that presses the issue. The problem is partially one of gameplay - enough times I've taken on a merc contract and then just done random stuff that isn't relevant to my nation's interest. That's essentially free money that I shouldn't be getting. If there was a requirement of x battles participated in against enemies of the realm, or y hours spent following the marshal on campaign, or something like that, then it would make a lot more sense. Both issues can be accomodated if there's a sort of gradient of pay, which scales with your usefulness to the kingdom, and rewards you with a LOT more money at the higher ends - unfortunately, I'm not sure if that's within the scope of the module system. Unless it's implemented as a bonus on top of ordinary merc pay somehow.

That's well-said.  Maybe a good compromise would be to give a large cash reward from the regent when a merc captures a castle or city and it is assigned as a reward to someone else.  That would use the same basic code that applies when a regent refuses a request to be awarded the holding that was captured.  I still think the merc stipend should be increased some, however.

Tpikol said:
i think its fine as it is,maybe make it a little higher but dont make it so its always more than your troops wages,that would mean u can just do nothing and get rich
I agree.

Silverstag has the right idea on mercs...

• Mercenary contracts allow for increased payment based on party upkeep, player persuasion and combined levels of the player and his companions.
• Failure to respond to the marshal or perform tasks he requests will result in an automatic dismissal of your mercenary contract.
• Mercenaries no longer receive a Right to Rule bonus for peace declarations.  Instead they receive a bonus payment.
• You may now leave the mercenary service of a faction by speaking to the faction’s ruler.

Theo H said:
Silverstag has the right idea on mercs...

• Mercenary contracts allow for increased payment based on party upkeep, player persuasion and combined levels of the player and his companions.
• Failure to respond to the marshal or perform tasks he requests will result in an automatic dismissal of your mercenary contract.
• Mercenaries no longer receive a Right to Rule bonus for peace declarations.  Instead they receive a bonus payment.
• You may now leave the mercenary service of a faction by speaking to the faction’s ruler.

Hi,

this can, however, force the player to use no fog cheat. It`s not always easy to find your marshal in time when needed.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Back
Top Bottom