Bad Ping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Connzcdf

Sergeant Knight
Hello, so I'm really stuck. My computer plays single player M&B Warband perfectly. But when its comes to MP the ping is absolutely rubbish! Mean while on my laptop, If I play multilayer it has a way better ping! And the reason I'm confused is that my computer is directly connected to the internet, while my laptop is in my room which is a black spot, due to being behind a boiler, is way better I get (90% of the time) 50-100 ping! And this isn't just with Native it's with Mount and Musket, and Persistent World! (Those are the two mods I play mostly) If anyone could please help me out I would be grateful and form preference: My computer ping is about 10-40 and 100+ ping usually. And the reason I'd rather play on my PC compared to laptop is that It can play everything else batter, and I want to stop going back and forward, when I want to change to M&B MP! 

I think you may be a little confused about what ping actually is. It's the time it takes a message to go from your computer to the server and back in milliseconds. So a smaller number is actually better.

Okey thanks, I'm sorry its just I lag in any number apart from 50-100 and also it says on the internet that a 50-100 ping is good. But then I'll re-phrase the question. How can I get a better ping?

If you are saying you get a lower ping on your desktop then you should have less lag on that, not more. For most games 50-100 ping is more than acceptable however M&B requires very fast reaction times for some things so generally you need 80 or less to be able to compete effectively at a competitive level. 120 would generally be considered unplayable for melee combat by most people I know.

Ping is time of flight for information between your computer and the server as I said. So since you can't really change where you live (to affect your local connection to your internet service provider) you can only really choose to change server and pick one where you lag less. If the problem is related to your local network though, changing server wont really help, some people just live in areas with bad connections.

If I might ask though, could you describe the effects you are attributing to lag.

Well as you said melle is a nightmare, also I just generally lag in all aspects. But the thing I don't get is that as I said, my wireless needes to get through a boiler and still gets a better ping compared to my PC which is directly connected.

Without starting warband check if there are any heavy-network programs in the background running. Also use the Task Manager and compare the network output, on the pc and laptop aswell.

I also had a ping increased for a few days, from 49-55 to 100-300. I think the problem is the server hosters. Just wait and try to fight with the ping and the low ping should come back.

Back
Top Bottom