Bad internet connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Frosty

Grandmaster Knight
Hey,

For a while now my internet has become really bad. Every few minutes or less, my internet will disconnect for a minute then reconnect, then disconnect immediately, some days it will just be fine, but when it does happen, it will probably do it for the whole day.
At first, I thought it might just be my 8 year old linksys router or something, so I got a new TalkTalk one, but the problem still remains. 

Also, I just got a new computer and my motherboard has a wi-fi thing built in and I can plug a wireless adapter in the back that connects to my router, I can no longer use my old usb adapter to connect as my computer doesn't recognize it. But now my download speeds are even lower, 200kb/s or lower, they are usually 1.7MB/s (which is fast for me :razz:)
It's pretty annoying as I have to download my Steam games one by one. =/

Anyone know what I should do? My last resort will be to call my provider and see what they can do, but I don't really want to be on hold and let them tell me something I already know.

Thanks!

I would not want to game with wireless internet. It will be unreliable at best. Is it possible to plug it in with CAT5a? I have a ridiculous 50ft cord that I fed behind the wall just so I could plug my desktop into the router.

1: Silence yourself and stop complaining about slow speeds when you're used to 1.7MB/s  (:smile:)
2: Try a wired connection temporarily and see if it is still an issue

@Fehnor, I've been gaming on wireless for about a year and a half now. There's no latency added by using wireless compared to using wired.

Fehnor said:
I would not want to game with wireless internet. It will be unreliable at best.

LOL?

You must not have used wireless in the past few years or so. I get the same speeds as my friend on the same ISP on wireless as he does wired, it literally makes no difference anymore.

People have a preconcieved notion about wireless that just isn't true any more, it use to be, but now with the proper adapter that just isn't true.

Speed test I just did :/

As far as Warband goes I see about a 5 ping difference from being hardwired to using wireless

And the farther away the server is the bigger that difference is as well (Server that used to give me 135 now gives me 125 etc)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wireless: 

Hardwired:

Both from a server about 25 miles away

Not a big difference from these screenshots but again server is pretty close

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A server in France

Wireless:

Hardwired:

Weird part here the wireless download speed is 17 vs hardwired 6

But hardwired has better upload speeds

And pings are 3 difference

*shrug*

Well, when my internet isn't bad, I get 1.7MB/s downloads (WHICH IS GOOD FOR ME! :d) on EU servers I get 18 - 25 ping and on US servers I can get ping ranging from 60 - 110.

Did the problem appear before any new computer was included in the LAN?

Kevlar said:
People have a preconcieved notion about wireless that just isn't true any more, it use to be, but now with the proper adapter that just isn't true.
And what's a proper adapter?  We had one of those D-Link Gigabit router with 3 antennas and still a laptop in the next room couldn't get a stable connection. Good enough for smart phones and tablets, but not for full download speed and constant ping.

Back
Top Bottom