Axes! (not a two-handed axe topic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Piédalf

Sergeant at Arms
Hello, I would like to disuss about axes, especially about the ability to parry with them.

I think that axe parrying with short axes is unreallistic.
The weapon is not balances, too short and not designed to parry.
Maybe 5+ feet axes can parry because they have a long handle.

Well I think you should be able to parry with anything inc. daggers because i know from fighting IRL you can parry powerful swings into nothing with the right technique. I do think they should of implemented a parry skill to account for this i.e parry skill 1 allows sword, lvl 3 allows axes, lvl 4 seaxes, lvl 6 knives. Not sure how hard that would be but if their goal is realism...

You can parry with a wooden staff but not a metal dagger lol

ThorsHammer said:
Can't watch the vids atm but the 2nd ones picture shows a block, a parry pushes the force from a blow away not stops it dead in it track. 

Its a 20min video of fighting, not just a 10sec parry with a axe.

I cant figure out why you guys are replying without even watching the thing (that is just a example, go to youtube and you will find tons of axe fighting videos).

TLDR: watch the entire thingy lol or dont comment on the movie

The secondvideo shows a two handed axe parry, so the hangle is long enought.
And you can see that Ragnarr does'nt block, he hits on weapons.

I think that in VC or warband the problem is when axes block spears. Usually cavalry spears! So unreallistic...
A one handed axe sould be carried with a shield...

Also axes are a bit overpowered in the game because they are more efficient against armors than swords. That's normal but it could be more balanced if the axe cannot block.

In the second video it is said that axe parrying with a one handed axe is not good.
The weapon is unblanced, so it is sait that you shouln't stop hitting.

kalarhan said:
ThorsHammer said:
Can't watch the vids atm but the 2nd ones picture shows a block, a parry pushes the force from a blow away not stops it dead in it track. 

I cant figure out why you guys are replying without even watching the thing (that is just a example, go to youtube and you will find tons of axe fighting videos).

My bad shouldn't make assumption but alot of people (including this game) confuse the two. It does annoy me that no Warband mod/dlc has ever had parrying lol

Piedalf - Yes Ragnar is parrying lol! hitting their weapons, which in turn leaves the opponent open.

Piédalf said:
In the second video it is said that axe parrying with a one handed axe is not good.

That depends on how good you are though! did someone say parry skill :grin: lol

Piédalf said:

if you are only using a one-hand axe without a secondary (shield, short sword, etc) you are in big trouble. So it may not be the best option to parry with the axe, but that doesnt mean a warrior would stand still while you cut him to pieces:

hey dude not fair, I cant parry well with a short axe, stop hitting me!  :mrgreen:

Just go berserker mode (like in the 2nd movie haha) and break the shield-wall!  :razz:

Tomahawk (parry/block with hand or the short axe):

TLDR: it is not the weapon, but the warrior that matters  :cool:

ThorsHammer said:
kalarhan said:
ThorsHammer said:

My bad shouldn't make assumption but alot of people (including this game) confuse the two. It does annoy me that no Warband mod/dlc has ever had parrying lol

Piedalf - Yes Ragnar is parrying lol! hitting their weapons, which in turn leaves the opponent open.

Piédalf said:

Right, but in warband the mechanics make axe parrying abusive. IA doesn't stop doing this!

Piédalf said:
Right, but in warband the mechanics make axe parrying abusive. IA doesn't stop doing this!

Combat is not just click click click. You need to faint, parry, attack from different angles. Learn how to use the weapon and you can kill bots with 1-2 hits non-stop.

Or play some MP, nothing will teach you faster than dying 20x in a row  :razz:

Piédalf said:
ThorsHammer said:
kalarhan said:
ThorsHammer said:

Piédalf said:

Yeah that's the problem i have loads of great ideas but have no idea if there even possible! posted it in suggestion and see what happens. With a parry skill you would stop low level troops parrying with their axes but high levels still would which would be realistic but that's if it possible to do with warband shes is old now!

Maybe make axes unable to parry like daggers or long seax.
Anyway, hight level units always have a shield.

maybe the smallest axes, used by archers or brigands should be unable to parry.
then I would stop crying whan I see an archer parrying my spear while I'm horse-charging...

Or stop parrying spear charges on a horse all together, I cant say i've ever had a man charge at me on a horse with a spear but i imagine that would be v hard to block!  Just to sound like a broken record you could need like 8 in a parry skill to be able to block a charging horse, a spear would be easy to block when their on foot but on a horse not so much.

Also it seems that "hit to parry" is likely present in VC. Usually during tournament Whant I'm hitting someone with a dagger, my hand is stoped because his hand was in the same direction. I hit on his raised hand.

kalarhan said:
Piédalf said:

if you are only using a one-hand axe without a secondary (shield, short sword, etc) you are in big trouble. So it may not be the best option to parry with the axe, but that doesnt mean a warrior would stand still while you cut him to pieces:

hey dude not fair, I cant parry well with a short axe, stop hitting me!  :mrgreen:

Just go berserker mode (like in the 2nd movie haha) and break the shield-wall!  :razz:

Tomahawk (parry/block with hand or the short axe):

TLDR: it is not the weapon, but the warrior that matters  :cool:

Good video!

But in that video they parry with teir arms, not with the weapon, as much carrying an axe or a knife...
In warband that technique can be similar to "I hit at the same moment the ennemy is hitting but I strike firste then he's interrupted and can't touch me".
So no block for me, or not likely as warband meaning.

No thanks,  I've played mods that removed blocking for axes and it sucks. Hafts are very strong and durable, if this is something you want it is easy to mod.

reiksmarshal said:
No thanks,  I've played mods that removed blocking for axes and it sucks. Hafts are very strong and durable, if this is something you want it is easy to mod.

So maybe the solution is removing the parrying moove that blocks estoc hits (it's possible with Morghs tools). Then axes can't parry spears and sword estoc.

Back
Top Bottom