Auto-Block or Manually-Block?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blocking is basically 50% of the whole combat system, so you'd really miss out on a lot without it. Its hard to learn in my opinion, but when you are decent at it, it becomes really fun and satisfying.

*I suggest you create a poll in this thread

I see auto-block as a way to help flatten the learning curve for combat.

As a new person to the M&B and not an action player myself, being able to focus solely on learning the directional attack mechanic has been pivotal.

Once I feel comfortable enough with it, I hope to turn auto-block off and enjoy the combat at its fullest.

Once i learned manual block was even a thing in early Warband beta times -i could never go back. Its what makes the game for me
Same for me, though I am very happy the option exists. Anything that gives the options for people to make something more accessible is a good thing.

As a new person to the M&B and not an action player myself, being able to focus solely on learning the directional attack mechanic has been pivotal.

Once I feel comfortable enough with it, I hope to turn auto-block off and enjoy the combat at its fullest.

I actually recommend diving right in if it is something you want to learn but instead play on the lower(est) damage setting. Not dying gives you longer to practice and more immediate feedback if you managed to nail your block or not. Also playing in the arena and commit to blocking at least one attack before you can return attacks helps a ton in increasing your player skills with no character risk.
A good way to incorporate this is plan to do one “tourney” each time you go to town, aka tournament or arena.
My two cent, but more importantly play and enjoy the way that works for you :smile:

Last edited:
Same for me, though I am very happy the option exists. Anything that gives the options for people to make something more accessible is a good thing.

In theory yes i would agree with this sentiment except unfortunately accessibility is being used to gloss over 'artistic direction' of a game and just hoping the player stumbles on settings that favor their style of gameplay. It abdicates the developers from calibrating some tightly wound and perfected settings in favor of more sales to the general pop who generally dont care to invest deeply in mechanic driven gameplay. Ive seen it happen in so many landmark genre leading titles that once demanded a player invest time if they want to be good at that game to now almost apologizing if a game might be too hard ahead of time.

As long as in a game such of this has vision - and sticks to that vision offering up some handicap settings to get a player started off without wanting to smash their keyboard is a good thing - but overall the ideal of accessibility has really hurt alot of PC stalwart titles. Just for the record i am in favor of auto-block as an option as its part of the original title and not a deviation.

Same happened to me, i used auto block in warband, after a while i turned it off and now in bannerlord i play in manual blocking all the time

I wonder what is more fun to play with! Feel free to discuss here! :smile:
I wanted to create a separate thread on this but I will describe it shortly here.
I was experimenting a lot with manual block and I am convinced there is a lack in the combat system which makes it hard to block the right directions many times.

In short - many times you don't know on which side your sword is before you press the block button.

This is caused by the double function of the mouse axis movement.
One is to rotate your camera view - which is needed a lot when you are moving around of a group of attackers. Otherwise they surround you and that's it.
The second is the sword moving to sides or up&down.
During fight movment and camera rotation change you get lost where your sword (or any other weapon) is placed. You think it's on the right side but you do not realise the slight camera rotation adjustment you made moved the weapon up. You hit block and you are suprised you block up not right.

This is a lack of combat system where you don't have any feadback about where your weapon is. Any kind of small visual effect which would show where your weapon is rotated would solve this issue. When you would rotate your camera view you would see your sword is on wrong side and adjust it immediately.
Obviously there are some high skilled players which learns some kind of intuition about the placement of the weapon but I would prefer visual effects about it. I would prefer this visual weapon placement against the autoblock too.

I started using that autoblocker mod a while ago which lets you just hold the right mouse button and move the mouse in the direction you want to block. Constantly clicking to change block direction is not at all fun to me and quite uncomfortable for the hand doing the clicking.

I wanted to create a separate thread on this but I will describe it shortly here.
I was experimenting a lot with manual block and I am convinced there is a lack in the combat system which makes it hard to block the right directions many times.

In short - many times you don't know on which side your sword is before you press the block button.

One is to rotate your camera view - which is needed a lot when you are moving around of a group of attackers. Otherwise they surround you and that's it.
During fight movment and camera rotation change you get lost where your sword (or any other weapon) is placed. You think it's on the right side but you do not realise the slight camera rotation adjustment you made moved the weapon up. You hit block and you are suprised you block up not right.

This is a lack of combat system where you don't have any feadback about where your weapon is. Any kind of small visual effect which would show where your weapon is rotated would solve this issue. When you would rotate your camera view you would see your sword is on wrong side and adjust it immediately.
Obviously there are some high skilled players which learns some kind of intuition about the placement of the weapon but I would prefer visual effects about it. I would prefer this visual weapon placement against the autoblock too.
You don't need to know the position of your weapon, simply move your mouse in the desired direction while blocking.

Apart from that, I believe the HUD already shows direction of block / attack?

Not having your camera movements get in the way of your blocking is really just a matter of practice, there's no lack of any system here, it'll come naturally over time.

I started using that autoblocker mod a while ago which lets you just hold the right mouse button and move the mouse in the direction you want to block. Constantly clicking to change block direction is not at all fun to me and quite uncomfortable for the hand doing the clicking.
But that also means you can't rotate without changing your block direction. If you care at all about your fencing skills in this game, you should avoid that mod as it'll cripple you real hard in multiplayer IMO.

Not having your camera movements get in the way of your blocking is really just a matter of practice, there's no lack of any system here, it'll come naturally over time.

But that also means you can't rotate without changing your block direction. If you care at all about your fencing skills in this game, you should avoid that mod as it'll cripple you real hard in multiplayer IMO.
I'd only ever be interested in multiplayer if it was a campaign or at the very least full scale battles in which you and whoever you're playing with are commanding or part of the opposing armies.

I'm more concerned about repetitive strain injury.

You are probably right. I made some videos in attempt to show what I described but when I watched it in slow motion, it seems, the problem is just the slowness in performing multiple actions in sequence. In the first slow motion I just moved the camera view to left and pushed the block. I did not release the block button before moved the mouse up. For this reason it seems it got stuck at left block state (twice). What I was not able to do fast enough is release block button, move mouse up, press block again. So basically I need to learn to sync all this together with the camera rotation very quickly.

You are probably right. I made some videos in attempt to show what I described but when I watched it in slow motion, it seems, the problem is just the slowness in performing multiple actions in sequence. In the first slow motion I just moved the camera view to left and pushed the block. I did not release the block button before moved the mouse up. For this reason it seems it got stuck at left block state (twice). What I was not able to do fast enough is release block button, move mouse up, press block again. So basically I need to learn to sync all this together with the camera rotation very quickly.

Yes, it's just a matter of practice. If you want to change block direction you need to release block first. There is also a HUD indicator for your current block / attack direction which you have disabled in the video.

Yes, it's just a matter of practice. If you want to change block direction you need to release block first. There is also a HUD indicator for your current block / attack direction which you have disabled in the video.
Sometimes I have the impression that even if I release block it just does not move the weapon to the correct position. I will need to get some app for ingame mouse activity indicator to see what was pressed/moved and when.

What is this HUD indicator? I tried to find it in options without luck...

Sometimes I have the impression that even if I release block it just does not move the weapon to the correct position. I will need to get some app for ingame mouse activity indicator to see what was pressed/moved and when.

What is this HUD indicator? I tried to find it in options without luck...
Show Attack Direction

Back
Top Bottom