Users who are viewing this thread

I just registered to say, that out of my points I still hope for in this game, Auto-directional-blocking is the most important.

Reflexes are not a skill. When I kite an enemy group into the right formation so they don't stone me to death, when I charge at their exposed members on the edge of the formation, at what point I release my spear-thrust, those are skills. I can learn that. I may not do it perfectly at first but then I experiment, try it just a little bit differently until it works and then it feels great. Blocking not so much: I know, that when my opponent attacks from a certain direction, I need to tap into that direction and then press the block button. And I don't manage at first and then I try the exact same thing again and I still don't get it and I can try the exact same thing over and over and it does not work and then I really don't need people who do the exact same thing I try to tell me: "just learn how to do it", because they can do it and enjoy it. It's not a skill, it's reflexes, basically a physical attribute. You would not tell a short person to "learn" how to reach the highest shelf without a ladder because you don't need one either. You would not tell a person with small hands to learn how to play a piano-piece that requires a certain finger-spread-distance.

Now, I see how reflex-based games have their place and I don't go into those games and tell the designers they need to make it more tactical but Mount and Blade is otherwise fine and it really is just this small feature that is missing and it should not be declared WAD that way because some people would like the game to be more reflex-based and not just for them but for everybody for some reason I'm to liberal to understand.

Blocking not so much: I know that when my Opponent attacks from a certain direction I need to tap into that direction and then press the block button. And I don't manage at and then I try the exact same thing again and I still don't get it and I can try the exact same thing over and over and it does not work and then I really don't need people who do the exact same thing I try to "just learn how to do it", because they can do it and enjoy it. It's not a skill, it's reflexes, basically a physical attribute. You would not tell a short person to "learn" how to reach the highest shelf without a latter because you don't need one either. You would not tell a person with small hands to learn how to play a piano-piece that requires a certain finger-spread-distance.

Sorry babe, this is totally bull****. Btw when you block, you do not simply tap a little at the right mouse button, but you keep holding it, until the enemy blow lands at your sword. Probably thats why you are unable to block. Besides it is totally learnable skills to the extent of blocking faints aswell. You will get better and better at it eventually. Unless you are an elderly people whos reflexes are somewhat deteriorated over the time. And don't get me wrong I totally approve and admire elderly people who play video games (like my own grandma). But if that's the case, I dont entirely understand why you play real time combat games, instead of like strategy games or such.

Apart from this, while I don't approve or use the auto-blocking because it entirely limits your ability to develop your skills (yes it is still possible to learn it and get better at it), but I would say it would be mandatory to include because it limits the player freedom in cases like yours. (Or at the very least it would help them getting the hang of block.)

Last edited:
Sorry babe, this is totally bull****. Btw when you block, you do not simply tap a little at the right mouse button, but you keep holding it, until the enemy blow lands at your sword. Probably thats why you are unable to block. Besides it is totally learnable skills to the extent of blocking faints aswell. You will get better and better at it eventually.
Yeah Babe... No, the direction I tab; the Mouse Button I hold. I also tried control by mouse movement in the options but that worked even worse. If I was releasing the block to early, I would not be able to block with a shield would I? Or block with a 2-handed weapon in Warband for the last 8 or so years.
Of course, there is a learnable component to it, the faster you read the opponent, the faster you can start to block. But the reaction time goes on top of that. Just like with my piano metaphor above, just because your hands are big enough, you cannot automatically play the piece, but if they are not, training alone won't help.

And I can speak from both sides, if I just think back a little more. Just 20-something years ago, my reflexes used to be better then they are now. That if not a thing I "unlearned", it's something I just got physically worse at

I just registered to say, that out of my points I still hope for in this game, Auto-directional-blocking is the most important.

Reflexes are not a skill. When I kite an enemy group into the right formation so they don't stone me to death, when I charge at their exposed members on the edge of the formation, at what point I release my spear-thrust, those are skills. I can learn that. I may not do it perfectly at first but then I experiment, try it just a little bit differently until it works and then it feels great. Blocking not so much: I know, that when my opponent attacks from a certain direction, I need to tap into that direction and then press the block button. And I don't manage at first and then I try the exact same thing again and I still don't get it and I can try the exact same thing over and over and it does not work and then I really don't need people who do the exact same thing I try to tell me: "just learn how to do it", because they can do it and enjoy it. It's not a skill, it's reflexes, basically a physical attribute. You would not tell a short person to "learn" how to reach the highest shelf without a ladder because you don't need one either. You would not tell a person with small hands to learn how to play a piano-piece that requires a certain finger-spread-distance.

Now, I see how reflex-based games have their place and I don't go into those games and tell the designers they need to make it more tactical but Mount and Blade is otherwise fine and it really is just this small feature that is missing and it should not be declared WAD that way because some people would like the game to be more reflex-based and not just for them but for everybody for some reason I'm to liberal to understand.

That's complete nonsense, you're comparing something impossible with learning how to block in 4 directions which is far from impossible! You could block correctly 25% of the time just choosing a random direction! Think what you could do if you practiced a bit.

And I can speak from both sides, if I just think back a little more. Just 20-something years ago, my reflexes used to be better then they are now. That if not a thing I "unlearned", it's something I just got physically worse at

Yeah I edited my previous post since it came to my mind aswell. Anyways I recommend grabbing a shield and trying to practise directional block since unlike in warband you can use shiled directions aswell. But if your reflexes are not that good, then I doubt autoblock would help you, since it still requires the perfect timing of block, you just dont have to bother turning the camera.

That's complete nonsense, you're comparing something impossible with learning how to block in 4 directions which is far from impossible! You could block correctly 25% of the time just choosing a random direction! Think what you could do if you practiced a bit.

I mean you could be a championship level athlete. Why are't you?
Lack of reflexes I'd imagine.

I'm going to assume there are lots of things in life you can't do for crap. Why aren't you better at them?

If I do that, game becomes too easy. And as I said, problem with enemies spamming attacks still exists even at the lowest difficulty. So it would be rather pointless. All I want is a little balance.

Enemies can only attack as quickly as you can block, what problem is there with 'spamming'? If you mean when you're fighting multiple enemies then that's a situation you should try and avoid anyway!

I mean you could be a championship level athlete. Why are't you?
Lack of reflexes I'd imagine.

I'm going to assume there are lots of things in life you can't do for crap. Why aren't you better at them?

Huh? This guy wants to play Bannerlord, I have no interest in being an athlete. Your comment makes little sense.

Well in SP, having the option to use auto-block for the people who want it, doesn't hurt people that don't want it in any way whatsoever.

SP = Choice
MP = Directional only
I'm absolutely fine with that. Choices for SP are always good. Haven't played MP yet but no way I want autoblock. I know in other MP games similar to this *cough Mordhau* they kept nerfing shields to a point where it wasn't worth using one - just bring a large two handed weapon and it does it all for you.

Forgot about arrows too.

I just don't want to see yet another game where someone can parry and block just as easily with a two handed weapon as they can with a shield. It's too Hollywood and not enough real if you know what I mean. Why bother with the speed penalties and reduced reach of one hand + shield when you can just run around with a giant two hander chopping down enemies left and right?

I wish they would add it in however there is a good mod out there, Autoblocker, that works really well. I have it set to "click to block" which still requires me to actually time my blocks but all I have to do is right click and it automatically blocks in the correct direction of the closest enemy. To me it is a good compromise as I just don't have the reflexes to click AND also move the mouse in the direction of the block.

The official stance is... git gud. Or just don't fight 1v1 and focus on tactics... you could also just make the combat slower.

There is no harm with adding auto-directional blocking to the single player portion of the game. If it enables more people to have fun with the game then it's thumbs up from me.
I'm young and have taken the time to learn the manual blocking. My father, however, who is in his late 60s can't exactly grasp it even with all the time on his hands.
He's resorted to using the shield until they add the auto-directional, but he misses charging into battle using his badass two-handed sword.

So, please Devs. Would very much like this feature to be added so more players are able to enjoy the game their way.

There is no harm with adding auto-directional blocking to the single player portion of the game. If it enables more people to have fun with the game then it's thumbs up from me.
I'm young and have taken the time to learn the manual blocking. My father, however, who is in his late 60s can't exactly grasp it even with all the time on his hands.
He's resorted to using the shield until they add the auto-directional, but he misses charging into battle using his badass two-handed sword.

So, please Devs. Would very much like this feature to be added so more players are able to enjoy the game their way.

Just download one of the autoblocker mods off of Nexus in the meantime. I'm sure they'll do exactly what you/your dad needs.

I really hope the single player doesn't suffer too much simply to balance multiplayer or avoid cheats in MP. It's always a shame when a singleplayer game is handicapped because of multiplayer mode... And this is coming frmo someone who has 1k hours in Fire and Sword MP.

Can anyone with some kind of handicap that prevents them from manual blocking tell if if the "hold block and switch directions" option would solve the issue for you?
I don't have that kind of issue I just suck at the current system and I think being able to switching directions while blocking sounds like a much better system than what we have currently.

There isn't an official stance. It's why threads like this keep popping up, or get closed due to toxicity from elitist players..
i have had an offical response from the taleworlds support team via email clearly stating that they are going to implement autoblock as an option for singleplayer at some point

Back
Top Bottom