Users who are viewing this thread

Irrelevant. It isn't necessary to NOT have. This is not a dueling simulator. Singleplayer is not a tutorial for multiplayer.

The key here is immersion, not realism, and having someone who trained for decades at swordsmanship suddenly completely forget how to block an attack just because the player's "behind the wheel" is a M A S S I V E immersion breaker.
For immersion purposes, that's exactly why people carry shields. Because it's much easier to block with a big piece of wood than a sword. It's more immersive to have to manual block.

Than you shouldn’t role play someone who can actually sword fight.
You are exposing yourself as a pathetic judgmental manchild/womanchild the more you post. you are trying to take a feature from me that you admit you wouldn't even use, just so you can feel superior.

You don't have the right to an opinion! You'd never use it! It doesn't affect you!

I think it was removed BECAUSE of multiplayer. I'm pretty sure that most of the Auto-Blockers people used to use hooked into the pre-made auto-blocker and just used it for auto-blocking in servers that had it disabled.
That's even worse. Believe me, if Bannerlord developers are convinced that this is some kind of MMORPG they're in for a rude awakening. If you don't build a good singleplayer experience not a lot of new players will stick around for the multiplayer.

I'd actually take some interest in directional blocking if it wasn't being forced on me. I was wondering why my efforts to block with a 2H sword were finding this much futility. I just earnestly hope that this isn't a situation of the devs having long ago mastered the directional system and arbitrarily declaring autoblocking unnecessary because of the Dunning-Kruger effect (I can do it, therefore anyone can do it).

They should definitaly at least make it an option for sp, for people like you. Many players like me are just used to the combat mechanics because we played Mount&Blades for so long already and forgot how hard it was to learn it.
I think you might have confused the Dunning-Kruger effect with something else.

For immersion purposes, that's exactly why people carry shields. Because it's much easier to block with a big piece of wood than a sword. It's more immersive to have to manual block.
Idiotic. you're basically barring me from using entire classes of equipment because you don't like the fact that I refuse to master a ridiculously overcomplicated system. To me, this is a massive difficulty spike and it's inappropriate. There's a lot of older players who aren't casual players, but aren't going to be able to pick up a system like this with a couple hours of practice. "just git gud" doesn't apply when gitting gud is neither easy nor intuitive.

The option for auto-block was in the last two games, no reason why it shouldn't be in this one now. It's only going to be used in single-player where it belongs.

They should definitaly at least make it an option for sp, for people like you. Many players like me are just used to the combat mechanics because we played Mount&Blades for so long already and forgot how hard it was to learn it.
I think you might have confused the Dunning-Kruger effect with something else.
Nope, there's actually 2 sides of Dunning-Kruger. There's the one the smug manchildren use, people who think they're great when they're awful, and then there's the one the smug manchildren ARE, which is people who forget how hard it was to gain their skill level and that it might not be for everyone.

But adding an autoblock ruins the experience you never understand the game it’s meant to be played. All you are doing is insulting people who have valid opinions because you can’t learn the mechanics. I mean for god sake you can change the difficulty how much catered handholding do you need? These games throw you into the mix to fend for yourself and you expect it to be like Skyrim or something. Get a grip on yourself mate.

Nope, there's actually 2 sides of Dunning-Kruger. There's the one the smug manchildren use, people who think they're great when they're awful, and then there's the one the smug manchildren ARE, which is people who forget how hard it was to gain their skill level and that it might not be for everyone.

Never heared about that second side, however, lets stay on topic.

But adding an autoblock ruins the experience you never understand the game it’s meant to be played.

I believe one of the things that might answer this would be something a player put in the discussion board. Due to a disability in one of his hands, he can still play the game but it's near to impossible to block properly. So when the shield breaks and he's got nothing to defend himself with, what then? He's basically in for it.

EDIT: https://steamcommunity.com/app/261550/discussions/0/2149847049321140648/ A link to the discussion board. A small quote in his paragraph, "I have autism that affects my motor functions and gives me frequent headaches, which means that the combat requiring directional input for blocking is just something I just can't physically accomplish due to an inability to respond to the right direction in time."

Unfortunately I do not understand all this against for having auto-block in single-player mode.

Never heared about that second side, however, lets stay on topic.
True, but for the record, you were the one who started the digression :p

Anywho, "just use a shield" is a very stupid argument IMHO. Just give us autoblock. Just give us the features that were already in the previous games. Don't REMOVE features and expect people who were depending on those features to be happy.

Unfortunately I do not understand all this against for having auto-block in single-player mode.
I don't either but I think it's coming from hoping that people will increase their skill in the game if forced to do so. Some might. A lot more will simply not play. Personally I don't think it's a good tradeoff for TaleWorlds.

Last edited:
But adding an autoblock ruins the experience you never understand the game it’s meant to be played. All you are doing is insulting people who have valid opinions because you can’t learn the mechanics. I mean for god sake you can change the difficulty how much catered handholding do you need? These games throw you into the mix to fend for yourself and you expect it to be like Skyrim or something. Get a grip on yourself mate.

All you are doing is insulting people who have valid opinions because you can’t learn the mechanics
You do realize you don't have to use it?

Anywho, "just use a shield" is a very stupid argument IMHO. Just give us autoblock. Just give us the features that were already in the previous games. Don't REMOVE features and expect people who were depending on those features to be happy.

I get your point of view and it really doesen't makes sense that they don't just make it as an option like in warband, but I highly suggest you to learn the manual blocking system. It might seem very difficult at first, but mastering it gives you a real sense of achievement and makes the combat way more satisfying and "real". With auto block you don't really get that certain thrill.

I think the people saying they NEED autoblock aren't giving themselves enough credit. It's not about being a sweaty MP player or having the reflexes of a gaming god, it's simple muscle memory your build over hours of playing (which you already would have built if you had played Warband without autoblock). Manual blocking is one of the fundamental skills of this combat system and I think using autoblock certainly takes away from the experience. Asking for autoblock in Bannerlord isn't much different from asking for autoaim in a shooter because you don't normally play shooters and you find aiming difficult. Blocking AI isn't some herculean effort that only people with the 10% quickest reflexes can do, it's something everyone can learn if they give it time. The only compromise I would care to see TW make is to add a combat speed setting to hopefully ease new players into manual blocking.

I get your point of view and it really doesen't makes sense that they don't just make it as an option like in warband, but I highly suggest you to learn the manual blocking system. It might seem very difficult at first, but mastering it gives you a real sense of achievement and makes the combat way more satisfying and "real". With auto block you don't really get that certain thrill.

I'm sorry, when I hear about pride and accomplishment I can't help but think about Electronic Arts and Star Wars Battlefront 2 and I just get sad.

Making something hard or grindy in the hope that they'll spend more time doing it doesn't work and just annoys people.

I think the people saying they NEED autoblock aren't giving themselves enough credit. It's not about being a sweaty MP player or having the reflexes of a gaming god, it's simple muscle memory your build over hours of playing (which you already would have built if you had played Warband without autoblock). Manual blocking is one of the fundamental skills of this combat system and I think using autoblock certainly takes away from the experience. Asking for autoblock in Bannerlord isn't much different from asking for autoaim in a shooter because you don't normally play shooters and you find aiming difficult. Blocking AI isn't some herculean effort that only people with the 10% quickest reflexes can do, it's something everyone can learn if they give it time. The only compromise I would care to see TW make is to add a combat speed setting to hopefully ease new players into manual blocking.
Let me put it this way.

If I devoted the time to it I could probably learn directional blocking. My question to you though is, since people have been able to rely on autoblocking for the entire run of Mount and Blade, why should I suddenly have to learn the more compliated and obstruse blocking method just to play the game? Why is it fair that I can't use a system I'm used to, at least while I'm struggling to master the new physics engine and animations at the same time?

I mean it would be one thing if I was trying to master it in Warband, a game whose physics I was already somewhat familiar with and with familiar animations. Trying to learn an entirely new system while I'm still not exactly sure how everything else works in the new engine is just a bridge too far for me, and I don't think I'm by any means alone.

Also, manual blocking wasn't even in Warband's release. Autoblock used to be the only option.

Asking for autoblock in Bannerlord isn't much different from asking for autoaim in a shooter because you don't normally play shooters and you find aiming difficult.
This comparison also came to mind as I read this thread.

The only compromise I would care to see TW make is to add a combat speed setting to hopefully ease new players into manual blocking.
Another solution might be "block-assist" - an indicator that lights up the direction you need to block in. Might help players learn to move their mouse towards the incoming attack when they are trying to block.

I think we all agree that it "takes away from the experience", but the real question is: so what? Your comparison to an FPS is flawed because M&B is not a medieval arena simulator, it is an open-world RPG. People enjoy the game in many ways, and the main attraction of open-world games is the freedom to craft your own experience. I've basically spent my 10+ hours of play so far just trading. For others that is like watching paint dry, they want to bash heads. I like bashing heads but when I'm fighting it's the tactics I enjoy more than the twitch gaming. Why not just support people being able to play as they choose? It doesn't harm you in any way; in fact it benefits you as more players = more money for the devs = more ongoing support and refinement of the game we all love.

Back
Top Bottom