Users who are viewing this thread

Agreed with position 2/3. Of course, we literally cannot have a productive conversation about this until someone with first hand knowledge of why it was removed demystifies the situation.

What hasn't been considered in this thread yet is the enormous gap that autoblock created when singleplayer players tried to get into multiplayer.
Autoblock was not a thing on 95% of the Warband servers, and it drove singleplayer players away who were used to just having to just press RMB and block everything. Not having autoblock in singleplayer forces players to learn, and those that can't or don't want to can stick to shields, so I think not having autoblock is the right call from Taleworlds.
Plus, I'm sure there will be a mod that adds autoblock in no time. But it not being in the base game forces more players to adjust to manual blocking, which I think is a good thing.
"But I'm not interested in multiplayer!" Well, it's part of the game whether you like it or not. I'm not all that interested in singleplayer either, but I can still applaud the gameplay decisions that make it more attractive.
I have no interest whatsoever in Multiplayer and even LESS interest in being FORCED to do things in a certain way to accomodate features of a game mode I will probably never actually use.

If their mentality is to shoehorn players into multiplayer, they'll lose me as a player. It's as simple as that.

I have no interest whatsoever in Multiplayer and even LESS interest in being FORCED to do things in a certain way to accomodate features of a game mode I will probably never actually use.

If their mentality is to shoehorn players into multiplayer, they'll lose me as a player. It's as simple as that.
I doubt they're trying to shoehorn players into multiplayer.

It's probably more to do with balancing 2H/polearm against 1H/shield. 2H is for aggressive play while 1H is more defensive. 2H does more damage, so to balance it out, they make you manually block.

I could be wrong, but this is how it appeared to me.

But it's not balanced. Right now for a large swath of players 2h swords are now ridiculously underpowered because they're struggling to make the intricate and unintuitive blocking system actually work for them

When facing an enemy with a 1H sword, attacks come in very quickly and the timing to get the blocking right is very, VERY demanding. I tried for a couple hours and didn't even get close to actually figuring out all the telegraphy I'd need to anticipate and block attacks from various directions, and that was just with a 1H sword. Now add maces, spears, daggers, axes, and hybrid weapons, all with their own unique animations and telegraphy that you have to master just to block in a video game, and throw in the fact that you will occaisionally need to block more than 1 of them at once..

At what point is it more rewarding, not so much to master the blocking, as to not play the video game?

I could probably figure out blocking if I had nothing else to focus on but we're talking about battles here, "nothing else to focus on" literally NEVER happens.

So as a result of that whole classes of weapons are completely denied to me because a game feature I'm used to was deleted thanks to smug "get shield or get gud" pricks who judge me for not sinking my time to mastering an obscure and extremely opaque game mechanic well enough to not just succeed at that, but do so while managing troops and navigating a battlemap at the same time.

Quite frankly, that's pathetic.

Last edited:
Shame none of you can learn the game and block properly.
Shame the terrrible design of this game demands such a ridiculous learning curve and the game will struggle commercially in the long run as normal, healthy, sane, non-OCD people walk away from it, tank the multiplayer and the community dies.

yes, such a shame

Or just give us the option no one's forcing you to use.

Game speed is 2x slower than warband maybe more. The fact that the ai gives me more trouble than playing multiplayer is sad. People such as yourself do not push to be better but to be catered.

Game speed is 2x slower than warband maybe more. The fact that the ai gives me more trouble than playing multiplayer is sad. People such as yourself do not push to be better but to be catered.
I.

Am.

A.

Customer.

I paid my money, expecting to be catered is the least of my reasonable demands.

The game should be playable. By players. Who play. Not just by obsessive basement chinbeards who only get out 1 Sunday a year.

If they put it in, you won't be affected at all. One simple click! There, it's off! You can use direction blocking freely, with no one around to care, just like now. You won't be screwed in the slightest, like, you know, I'm getting screwed right now.

But the game is playable it demands you to learn to play the way they designed it to be played. It’s more rewarding earning your blocks and beating opponents because you are simply the better duelist. And yes if you can’t yet and must learn which you do have to do clearly. Buy a shield and learn over time. Lol chin beard this “chin beard” could beat you with my eyes closed. Go back to the tutorial and learn the four directions there is only four and you see swings miles away..

But it's not balanced. Right now for a large swath of players 2h swords are now ridiculously underpowered because they're struggling to make the intricate and unintuitive blocking system actually work for them

When facing an enemy with a 1H sword, attacks come in very quickly and the timing to get the blocking right is very, VERY demanding. I tried for a couple hours and didn't even get close to actually figuring out all the telegraphy I'd need to anticipate and block attacks from various directions, and that was just with a 1H sword. Now add maces, spears, daggers, axes, and hybrid weapons, all with their own unique animations and telegraphy that you have to master just to block in a video game, and throw in the fact that you will occaisionally need to block more than 1 of them at once..

At what point is it more rewarding, not so much to master the blocking, as to not play the video game?

I could probably figure out blocking if I had nothing else to focus on but we're talking about battles here, "nothing else to focus on" literally NEVER happens.

So as a result of that whole classes of weapons are completely denied to me because a game feature I'm used to was deleted thanks to smug "get shield or get gud" pricks who judge me for not sinking my time to mastering an obscure and extremely opaque game mechanic well enough to not just succeed at that, but do so while managing troops and navigating a battlemap at the same time.

Quite frankly, that's pathetic.
I agree, it can be balanced better and I expect further tweaks in future.

I spent a good hour or so just practicing block with 2H in the combat tutorial which helped me immensely. 1v1 I have no issues dueling AI. 1 vs many is a different story depending on the enemy type, so I have to use a different tactic allowing me to solo groups of bandits with 2H whereas that would be more difficult using 1H/shield. 2H swings can hit more than 1 enemy at a time, I haven't tested if it's the same with 1H.

In any case, I'm all for adding the option of auto block for singleplayer for those that want it. It's all about fun at the end of the day.

I'd actually take some interest in directional blocking if it wasn't being forced on me. I was wondering why my efforts to block with a 2H sword were finding this much futility. I just earnestly hope that this isn't a situation of the devs having long ago mastered the directional system and arbitrarily declaring autoblocking unnecessary because of the Dunning-Kruger effect (I can do it, therefore anyone can do it).

It isn’t necessary to have. The game wants you to become better and it is possible but giving up and just randomly clicking the block button is not winning it’s simply losing. Than people like you enter multiplayer and come to those forums and complain because people like me are much better because I spent time learning how to block simple as that.

It isn’t necessary to have.
Irrelevant. It isn't necessary to NOT have. This is not a dueling simulator. Singleplayer is not a tutorial for multiplayer.

The key here is immersion, not realism, and having someone who trained for decades at swordsmanship suddenly completely forget how to block an attack just because the player's "behind the wheel" is a M A S S I V E immersion breaker.

I think it was removed BECAUSE of multiplayer. I'm pretty sure that most of the Auto-Blockers people used to use hooked into the pre-made auto-blocker and just used it for auto-blocking in servers that had it disabled.

Back
Top Bottom