Users who are viewing this thread

Warband still has dozens of servers which fill up at peak times after 10+ years. I'm also not going to believe that it's the exact same people in this thread who are also complaining about feinting elsewhere.

It's a pattern. The threads are many. Here. And on Steam. And that there's still 2 servers in WB that fill up with some traditionalist fanatics doesn't change the inapproachability of the WB feint spams.

It's not difficult. People complain that this game is slow-paced. It's not. But it's also not too fast. Try the practice ground just once or twice. Get you ass beaten the first time? No problem, do it again tomorrow. I swear you, you'll beat the easier of the 2 sword fighting bots. And after a while you'll not see recognizing the animations as inhumane anymore. It gets down into your DNA and believe me, you WILL chuckle at people requesting this auto block feature.
It's not a matter of learning to do something, it's a matter of being incapable of doing something. Hell it's also a matter of wanting to play an RPG not a twitch shooter. I don't enjoy the whole "reflexes or die" mentality. People don't seem to understand that. People also don't seem to understand that all people are asking for a checkbox. If you don't like it then use your reflexes and training to uncheck the damn thing.

It's not difficult. People complain that this game is slow-paced. It's not. But it's also not too fast. Try the practice ground just once or twice. Get you ass beaten the first time? No problem, do it again tomorrow. I swear you, you'll beat the easier of the 2 sword fighting bots. And after a while you'll not see recognizing the animations as inhumane anymore. It gets down into your DNA and believe me, you WILL chuckle at people requesting this auto block feature.
Like we do all have time to stay at practice ground practicing the blocking system (10 years old mechanic) while the game is absolutely more deep. Yes, stay 2 hours practicing block, who cares if you have a life (and I'm not saying this to you, I mean in general, I wish I could play games 24/7 :lol:)

It's not a matter of learning to do something, it's a matter of being incapable of doing something. Hell it's also a matter of wanting to play an RPG not a twitch shooter. I don't enjoy the whole "reflexes or die" mentality. People don't seem to understand that. People also don't seem to understand that all people are asking for a checkbox. If you don't like it then use your reflexes and training to uncheck the damn thing.

Like we do all have time to stay at practice ground practicing the blocking system (10 years old mechanic) while the game is absolutely more deep. Yes, stay 2 hours practicing block, who cares if you have a life (and I'm not saying this to you, I mean in general, I wish I could play games 24/7 :lol:)

Yes, surely the game is more deep. 2 hours is not unreasonable if you WANT to learn it. Even with sleep and job and family, which I also entertain. To me it's just that victories are that more rewarding when I blocked a good hit and was able to turn the tide and kill the enemy.

To you both in case you DON'T want to learn it (a position which I will not understand but can accept), please let me ask you:

Why don't you

A: use a shield?

and/or

B: manage the troops in a way so that you actually don't have to block at all?

or

C: auto-resolve?

Basically this, and might I add that even in spite of trying to make nearly all the time I had available for the game to try and improve and learn this I only managed to get as good as to block about 30-40% of blows, its still insanely difficult. Also add the fact that I'm often too worried about how limited time I have of play to be as focused to constantly train myself to play a singleplayer game, I didn't expect to buy an easy to play game but I didn't except to buy dark souls either (at least when it comes to melee combat without shields).
This coming from someone that had the will to get better and train to be proficient in manual blocking in warband years ago, to be fair that was probably like half a decade ago and with a bit of ageing and adding in a couple of work related injuries later I'm likely never going to be as quick at reacting as I was then.

Basically this, and might I add that even in spite of trying to make nearly all the time I had available for the game to try and improve and learn this I only managed to get as good as to block about 30-40% of blows, its still insanely difficult.

I also don't block 100% of the blows. Just yesterday I managed to beat the whole looter hideout, all of my companions died in the process, only to be confronted by the "boss" and dying from his very first swing in 1vs1. It happens :mrgreen:

What about these 2/3 suggestions?

Why don't you

A: use a shield?

and/or

B: manage the troops in a way so that you actually don't have to block at all?

or

C: auto-resolve?

If you use a horse and a shield and manage your troops somewhat accordingly as far as I have seen you don't need any confrontation really. And even if you do once you have that shield. I am cavalry myself and keep a group of cavalry bodyguards around me. Even if you don't want to micro-manage the troops press 0 F6 and then 3 F1 F2 all troops get managed by your captains (I would say reasonably well seen you're playing against other AI) while the cavalry follows you.

Last edited:
I also don't block 100% of the blows. Just yesterday I managed to beat the whole looter hideout only to be confronted by the "boss" and dying from his very first swing in 1vs1. It happens :mrgreen:

I also don't block 100% of the blows. Just yesterday I managed to beat the whole looter hideout only to be confronted by the "boss" and dying from his very first swing in 1vs1. It happens :mrgreen:

Hey man, thanks for the reply, about the 100% blocking - I wouldn't actually mind as much if my manual blocking in Bannerlord was as good as my manual blocking from playing Warband years ago, which of course wasn't 100% but pretty doable, I'm pretty sure I've gotten my reflexes a lot slower now but me losing 1/3 or even sometimes half of the engagements I have against even peasants with sticks on the slowest AI difficulty is pretty embarrassing and ends up not feeling fun at all. This just isn't the same as the manual blocking experience I had in Warband and I do recognize that a lot of it is likely my own fault and not the game itself.

As for your suggestions, while I appreciate you trying to help, I suspect they will mean as little to other people asking for the auto-block as they do to me. Put simply I would rather go on battles with autoblock than do any of the options you present, I never liked auto resolves, I like using my troops and tactics but I enjoy actively helping them as well and I was never a shield gameplay guy, I didn't like it in Warband and I don't like it now, nor do I like being forced to use it because of being incompetent at manual blocking.

Hey man, thanks for the reply, about the 100% blocking - I wouldn't actually mind as much if my manual blocking in Bannerlord was as good as my manual blocking from playing Warband years ago, which of course wasn't 100% but pretty doable, I'm pretty sure I've gotten my reflexes a lot slower now but me losing 1/3 or even sometimes half of the engagements I have against even peasants with sticks on the slowest AI difficulty is pretty embarrassing and ends up not feeling fun at all. This just isn't the same as the manual blocking experience I had in Warband and I do recognize that a lot of it is likely my own fault and not the game itself.

As for your suggestions, while I appreciate you trying to help, I suspect they will mean as little to other people asking for the auto-block as they do to me. Put simply I would rather go on battles with autoblock than do any of the options you present, I never liked auto resolves, I like using my troops and tactics but I enjoy actively helping them as well and I was never a shield gameplay guy, I didn't like it in Warband and I don't like it now, nor do I like being forced to use it because of being incompetent at manual blocking.

kk, np. I actually do not think there's a difference in WB and BL in blocking and as said I do get my fair share of swings in my face. It's surely still reliant on some reflexes, but for me it's mostly a mindset thing. If I go into a battle reminding myself that the enemy has a sword too, I mostly remember to track their swing animation and can reasonably well block. If I don't then yea, also a peasant can do damage.

Last edited:
It was possible to cheat in Warband MP by going on a manual-block server and convincing your client to let you auto-block anyway. The problem, by my understanding, was not particularly widespread and the community largely dealt with the issue themselves.

If the justification for not having auto-block in Bannerlord is that it may also be abused in MP, Taleworlds needs to get their **** together. Having the same problem twice in two different game engines is almost inexcusable, and screwing with the SP experience for everyone else just to cater for the MP tryhards is equally inexcusable.

Tryhards alone don't make a game financially viable.

Couldn't agree more but in this day and age it's the kind of excuse that'll get enough people to drop the issue and make us look like we're being unreasonable.

If you use a horse and a shield and manage your troops somewhat accordingly as far as I have seen you don't need any confrontation really. And even if you do once you have that shield. I am cavalry myself and keep a group of cavalry bodyguards around me. Even if you don't want to micro-manage the troops press 0 F6 and then 3 F1 F2 all troops get managed by your captains (I would say reasonably well seen you're playing against other AI) while the cavalry follows you.

Like i don't know it? Like everybody in this post has said it? Please stop saying "git gud" in a better way. Just stop it guys. Please. It's an rpg with a good combat part. I LOVE to fight along with my troops, but i prefer guiding them before going into the melee on my horse. Saying something like "don't worry, just "press 0 F6 and then 3 F1 F2 " or "use a shield" do not work.

Man, i played WB for 5 years, never had a problem in fights, unless i was so much outnumbered that i had to fight 10 vs 150 because i had too low tactics skill and i was facing 700 ppl with my 80 ppl party. We are just asking to have a feature that was already present in the previous chapter. End of story. You still have your game.

I hope they don't include it. The auto-block practically created a "parallel society" in Warband which kept to themselves and never even contemplated logging into MP only once. On an alternate timeline where auto block had never been implemented into Warband we wouldn't talk about this, everyone would just have internalized the manually blocking by now and there wouldn't be that "elitism" stigma to MP. Of course also the feint spamming in Warband contributed to that, but luckily both things are fixed in BL.

You do realize some of us NEVER want to play mp anyway? I'm still not going to play multiplayer even if autoblock is never implemented in singleplayer. There seems to be a lot of arguments by people against it saying that "if autoblock is implemented people will get used to it and never want to join mp", as if mp is the endgame of all warband players.

Ok, I'm not going to judge that in any way. I'm just going to say I don't do that myself, because it "untrains" me.
If that's the case, what do you have against adding it as an option? We aren't forcing it on anyone - we literally just want it as an option.

I hope they don't include it. The auto-block practically created a "parallel society" in Warband which kept to themselves and never even contemplated logging into MP only once. On an alternate timeline where auto block had never been implemented into Warband we wouldn't talk about this, everyone would just have internalized the manually blocking by now and there wouldn't be that "elitism" stigma to MP. Of course also the feint spamming in Warband contributed to that, but luckily both things are fixed in BL.
Warband wouldn't be as popular as it is without autoblock. The core experience of the game, the singleplayer, shouldn't suffer just to try and inflate the mp numbers. If the AI is kicking my ass why the **** would I want to try the multiplayer? You've just spread your "elitism" to the single player making it not as fun.

This keeps being explained to and ignored by the git gud trolls, but I'll try again. Auto-block wasn't implemented as an afterthought, it was the only option when M&B originally launched. Auto-block remains, to this day, the default option for all M&B titles except for Bannerlord. If anything created a "parallel society" it was the later addition of manual-block, which tryhards embraced and for no good reason are now insisting should be the *only* option. I think the tryhards have spent so much time in MP, or playing some of the big mods like Floris or Brytenwalda, that they've forgotten what the basic vanilla M&B experience is.

If you don't want to use auto-block, don't use it. That shouldn't stop the option existing for those who do want to use it.

M&B tryhards: Can we get a manual block option if we want more of a challenge than auto-block?
M&B casuals: No objection here

Bannerlord casuals: Can we get an auto-block option, as has been in the series since day one, for various reasons including limited play time, poor reflexes, old age, medical conditions, etc.
Bannerlord tryhards: Git gud or get lost

This thread will end just like all the other auto-block ones have. Locked due to git gud trolls.

Last edited:
M&B tryhards: Can we get a manual block option if we want more of a challenge than auto-block?

Bannerlord casuals: Can we get an auto-block option, as has been in the series since day one, for various reasons including limited play time, poor reflexes, old age, medical conditions, etc.

This thread will end just like all the other auto-block ones have. Locked due to git gud trolls.

To be fair, one good argument against it would be the increased exploit potential in MP.

I still think the autoblock necessity for a significant amount of SP-only folks should outweigh this, I don't think the problem back in Warband was that prevalent to warrant such a feature being cut out now for Bannerlord, especially considering how its always been there and has since been a core optional feature for the franchise.

Has Tale Worlds actually said anything about this issue? Seems like an official statement would calm (or at least clarify) the waters.

If yes (i.e., "Autoblock is coming, we just didn't get it into this first EA release yet"), then okay. The SP folks get what they want, while the MP crowd (and SP players who like manual block) can continue with their own preferences unaffected.

If no (i.e., "nope, we made a design choice to eliminate Autoblock. Not gonna happen"), well, then also okay. The SP players who want it now know for sure that they either need to just accept and learn manual block, or if it's that crucial, that it's time to move on to something else (or go back to Warband).

----------------------

The part I don't understand: there's basically two camps here; Let's say Group I is pro-autoblock and Group II is anti-autoblock. Assuming of course that Autoblock would be like it was in Warband (only available in SP, and selectable by player whether to use or not), then:

Option One (implement Autoblock) helps Group I and doesn't affect Group II.
Option Two (do not implement Autoblock) negatively affects Group I...and still doesn't affect Group II.

So, whichever way TW goes with this, Group II isn't affected; they still can play how they like. Meanwhile, Option One is a positive outcome for Group I, while Option Two is negative.

It seems a no-brainer that Auto-block implementation would be a net good overall for the playerbase. The controversy over this is mystifying.

Last edited:
There's no real controversy, just a loud contribution from the epeen chorus. Apparently saying 'git gud' on a game forum is like 'I am Spartacus' or something and the whole peanut gallery has to stand up and shout it too lest their l33t image should suffer from the presence of mere entertainment-seekers.

Auto block should be a thing, because it was a feature in previous mount and blade, simple as that. Especially when your fps drop in big battles and siegies, gl hf blocking when game run like a turn base game from time to time

This keeps being explained to and ignored by the git gud trolls, but I'll try again. Auto-block wasn't implemented as an afterthought, it was the only option when M&B originally launched. Auto-block remains, to this day, the default option for all M&B titles except for Bannerlord. If anything created a "parallel society" it was the later addition of manual-block, which tryhards embraced and for no good reason are now insisting should be the *only* option. I think the tryhards have spent so much time in MP, or playing some of the big mods like Floris or Brytenwalda, that they've forgotten what the basic vanilla M&B experience is.

If you don't want to use auto-block, don't use it. That shouldn't stop the option existing for those who do want to use it.

There's no real controversy, just a loud contribution from the epeen chorus. Apparently saying 'git gud' on a game forum is like 'I am Spartacus' or something and the whole peanut gallery has to stand up and shout it too lest their l33t image should suffer from the presence of mere entertainment-seekers.

I laughed so hard. Thanks guys, we can close the post :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom