Users who are viewing this thread

How about a combat system that lets you move and rotate the camera independently of your attack and block direction? This has been a problem with the combat system since the Early Access of the FIRST game, and is why I always played the original with it off (AI moves to my left. I have to rotate left to keep him centered. But oh look, he's attacking to my right and now my controls are moving in the WRONG @$%ING DIRECTION while the AI cheap-shots me with their instant direction change.

This is one of the best features of the combat actually, the freedom to mould your blocks and attacks in a way you see fit. It emphasizes proper footwork because of this as well. FYI, you can actually make the theoretically wrong block(LEFT) and it will still block their swing(THEIR LEFT, YOUR RIGHT). This was something implemented in Warband and actually has been expanded on in Bannerlord, an active block doesn't care for what direction the block was, as long as the swords "connect" and its timed properly you will block.

Asuzu, I think you'll be a lot happier if you learn not to let the little annoyances in life bog you down. Fix yerself a nice warm cup of joe and enjoy this wonderful game Tale Worlds has made for us all.

I am surprised that in today's gaming climate Taleworlds chose not to include auto block. Most games have handicaps like that for players now. It's honestly pretty ballsy of Tale Worlds not to include it. I respect that. I wouldn't be upset if they added it but I applaud their leaving it out.

I frankly don't even consider it a handicap. It's called offering an allowance for the limitations of the medium and interface.

Consider it this way:

I've studied WMA for about 15 years now. IRL, it's TRIVIAL for me to coordinate how my body is moving with the position of my sword. I can step and turn in one direction, but cover myself from an attack from the opposite without hardly thinking about it (TBH, I wouldn't "block" the way the game does in the first place. If I had an attack coming at my right shoulder, in most cases I'd be countering with with one of the Meisterhau, but that's beside the point).

I find the biggest limitation for doing so in the game, as I've already noted elsewhere, is that the game ties attack direction either into your mouse look, or into your movement controls. As a result, it makes moving in one direction but positioning your weapon to block or attack in the opposite MUCH more complicated than it needs to be because you're having to move in one direction but at the same time, but use the SAME set of controls to set up your block or attack from the opposite. M&KB is literally not designed to do that smoothly or efficiently.

This is where these "allowances" I mention come into play; by accommodating for things that you can do naturally in IRL, but don't translate to M&KB control (similar to how many flight simulators use "icons" to identify aircraft to account for the fact that even high resolution displays simply can't match even normal human visual acuity, much less the visual acuity of a pilot).

My fight isn't over whether autoblock is implemented or not. *MY* position is that the combat system needs an overhaul altogether.

First, implement a padlock feature, which is almost a standard function in 3D games. "Lock On" to a target, and your camera rotation and toon's movements are locked to that target. Think of it like the Z-Targeting system on the 3D Legend of Zelda games. This is an ALLOWANCE for the fact that in real life, it's relatively effortless to coordinate your movements to keep your opponent in front of you, whereas M&KB requires combining multiple control interfaces for the same task. Doable? Certainly on its own and in FPS where all you really have to worry about is pointing and shooting. But throw in the fact your attack/block direction is tied into those same controls and now you've got the equivalent of patting your head, rubbing your belly, AND trying to fold laundry all at the same time. This isn't just a matter of skill, but also one of coordination. Some people simply don't have the physical coordination to pull it off, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad at the game.

Such a system would also self-balancing: If you're locked to one target, you're opening yourself up for an attack from the flanks or behind in a multi-unit fight (y'know, just like target fixating would do in REAL LIFE).

With this in place, it would then be possible to separate block/attack direction from your movement or camera when you're locked. Lock on to target, your camera stays fixed on the target and your toon will do the circle-strafing with the WASD, and now you've got your mouse freed up completely for controlling your attacks and blocks (the problem is finding a solution that applies when you're NOT locked).

And again, allowing you to change your attack and block direction without having to release the button would better match the AI's ability to do this, and eliminate an artificial advantage that has existed since the original game.

That's three pretty simple "allowances" that may facilitate more people using directional blocking by eliminating one of its biggest technical hurdles (coordination).

I understand the appeal of manual blocking, and I enjoy playing that way in multiplayer and occasionally in single player.

However I don’t understand the arguments for not including auto-block as an option in SP. While manual blocking can be fun, I find it restricts my play style more than I would like in single player. In single player, rather than having to strictly optimize my build simply for survival (which manual blocking has me doing), I want the freedom of being able to load out my character in a variety of ways for role playing purposes and not just die right away if I choose to wield a 2 handed sword. Giving me the option doesn’t restrict me in any way, whereas not giving me the option puts a skill wall up that I have to master before being able to enjoy a particular play style.
I get that some of you enjoy that challenge, and it is rewarding to feel like you’ve actually mastered something, but that love of the struggle is clearly not universal, and it seems like for many, the convenience of an auto-block option would offer easier access to a more rewarding play style.

I understand the appeal of manual blocking, and I enjoy playing that way in multiplayer and occasionally in single player.

However I don’t understand the arguments for not including auto-block as an option in SP. While manual blocking can be fun, I find it restricts my play style more than I would like in single player. In single player, rather than having to strictly optimize my build simply for survival (which manual blocking has me doing), I want the freedom of being able to load out my character in a variety of ways for role playing purposes and not just die right away if I choose to wield a 2 handed sword. Giving me the option doesn’t restrict me in any way, whereas not giving me the option puts a skill wall up that I have to master before being able to enjoy a particular play style.
I get that some of you enjoy that challenge, and it is rewarding to feel like you’ve actually mastered something, but that love of the struggle is clearly not universal, and it seems like for many, the convenience of an auto-block option would offer easier access to a more rewarding play style.

There's really only one question the people who are objecting to adding the function need to ask themselves:

"Does implementing this as an option in Single Player that I don't have to turn on if I don't want to affect my ability to play the game in any way?"

If the answer is yes, then tyou REALLY need to reevaluate yourself, and ask why something just EXISTING that you don't have to use bothers you so much.

If the answer is no, then sit down, STFU, PLAY YOUR OWN GAME, and let anyone who DOES want to use that function play theirs. No one is going to make you turn it on if you don't want it.

It's really that simple.

Yeah, I like the game's look and all, but I'm just incredibly frustrated right now. I really don't mean this as an insult toward the devs, but in my 2 hours of gameplay I've said to myself "God I hate this game" about 10-15 times, each time while getting my ass handed to me as I attempt to block over and over and fail every time.

I'm not saying I can't block either, just that fairly often I miss about 10 blocks in a row and instantly die. It's simply not fun. This game is not fun for me. And I die *super* quickly, even on the easiest difficulty. And to all the remotely decent players out there, yeah, totally go ahead and say it, "git gud". I'm not an old guy, I could totally just practice. But that's not what this game is for me. This game for me is effectively a power fantasy. "Play as some naturally kick-ass swordsman who can just walk all over every single other person in the game like they're a god damn carpet". Instead I got "Play as some worthless loser swordsman who can't do a god-damn thing right to save his life (meaning me)". FUN.

I'm pretty close to just walking away from the game for a week/few months until they add this option into the game. Right now, ugh, I'd like to spend my time doing just about anything else.

Fwiw, I loved Warband. This game? Not even a little bit.

As negative as this sounds though, I do want to be clear. I do not blame the devs in any way for this. I'm just saying how I feel, I think the game itself looks awesome. But in it's current state, I want nothing to do with it.

Just chiming in here to support auto blocking, that was never an aspect of the game I enjoyed (I really don't like reaction-based action combat) and not having it severely limits my options in what is a sandbox RPG. I also don't really have the reflexes - I tried for about 3 hours, doing arenas and training camps, and it was just not fun at all and didn't really get any better.

I don't understand the resistance to this feature from some of the community - if it's a feature in single player you don't need to activate, how does it harm your experience? This is a feature that has been in every M&B game so far, and I can only assume and hope that it will be added in eventually and was an oversight.

Settle down, Beavis. Nobody is attacking anybody here. This is what I mean about big egos taking every little thing as a personal sleight against them.
No, telling people to get good is definitely a slight against them, dude. And calling people names when they call you out for being an ass is pretty immature

In Brynjahr's defense, that guy legitimately can't block. It's okay to suck at games. Some people with big egos take it as a personal sleight if they struggle with a game. There's nothing wrong with being bad at a game, you just need to put in a tiny bit of practice and effort and you'll be fine.
Telling people they suck at the game because they don't want to play the way you do? Go back to Mordhau, man

I see what's going on here. There's a population of toxic Mordhau players that want Bannerlord to be more like their game so they can keep telling themselves they're just better than other players

You're paranoid. Nobody here mentioned Mordhau until you did. I know this quarantine is a a doozy on all of us but you've got to get a grip.

If you guys need auto block for sp you should play your game on the easiest mode and run with a shield ... and avoid the mp

Steam forum has a couple threads going for this and they're toxic as hell. Just countless trolls posting "git gud". TW would do themselves a favor if they'd head it off now and say one way or another if a decision on auto-block is coming.

Back
Top Bottom