Users who are viewing this thread

It is in a larger function and was indeed inproperly implemented, but I don't think they build their engine with that idea in mind so it's clear that it would be the same this time around.
Also I don't think this is right since I am fairly certain that when I bought Mount and Blade in like...2006 it had auto block and did not have manual at that point in time. It was the original blocking methodology, so presumably their game engine, if built in house, would have been built out with that in mind.

Unless you mean Bannerlord's engine (if different) in which case you're probably right.

This issue is pissing a lot of people off I really can’t believe it. NGL This is the last thing I care about compared to balancing issues, all the items missing from the shop, one faction taking over the game immediately and missing dialogue.

This issue is pissing a lot of people off I really can’t believe it. NGL This is the last thing I care about compared to balancing issues, all the items missing from the shop, one faction taking over the game immediately and missing dialogue.
Believe me, I care about those issues too, but they are explained by the game's early access status and are all explicitly listed in the early access description as things that are being actively worked on.

This, however, is not. It is a feature that has been around since literally the beginning. It is just conspicuously absent. It seems clear that it wont be coming back, and nobody actually knows why. People keep asking and nobody has gotten an answer. Just seems discourteous to longtime players.

I could answer why:
Cheaters in multiplayer.
Auto block are deactivated in Multiplayers servers, that leads to cheaters using hacks to activate the auto block mechanic while others dont have it, giving the user a great advantage in duels and 1vs1 situations, I guess that if the option isn't even around they wont be able to activate auto block at all.
The question is, is it worth to lose hackers but ruin the experience of the singleplayer "noob" players? My own perception would be... yes, but I only say it because I play both and I have experience blocking. Honestly is way more rewarding, and it's like Dark Souls, you cant adapt to the gameplay? Well... you'll get better over the course of time. But I guess not everyone wants to get good and are just interested in the other sides of the game which I understand.
My solution is scrapping the mechanic for multiplayer and let the noobish players play like the singleplayer as they want to, you all clearly are not interested in learning, this would have worked if the mechanic were not in the game at all since warband but since this is not the case, well they will have to add it back

I think they plan to include it it’s just not high on the list of priorities is all. And even if they don’t do genius modder will come along
Citation needed.

I could answer why:
Cheaters in multiplayer.
Auto block are deactivated in Multiplayers servers, that leads to cheaters using hacks to activate the auto block mechanic while others dont have it, giving the user a great advantage in duels and 1vs1 situations, I guess that if the option isn't even around they wont be able to activate auto block at all.
The question is, is it worth to lose hackers but ruin the experience of the singleplayer "noob" players? My own perception would be... yes, but I only say it because I play both and I have experience blocking. Honestly is way more rewarding, and it's like Dark Souls, you cant adapt to the gameplay? Well... you'll get better over the course of time. But I guess not everyone wants to get good and are just interested in the other sides of the game which I understand.
My solution is scrapping the mechanic for multiplayer and let the noobish players play like the singleplayer as they want to, you all clearly are not interested in learning, this would have worked if the mechanic were not in the game at all since warband but since this is not the case, well they will have to add it back
I suspect that is the reason as well. Elaborated in my earlier post that I suspected that some had managed to reenable the automatic block behavior in manual multiplayer sessions either through the modification of game files or memory editing. We just want an explanation from someone who actually knows.

Also, stop bringing Dark Souls into this. I love dark souls. Parrying is far more forgiving in dark souls. You do not even have to face the right direction to pull it off. And there are other mechanics you can use to avoid damage. Dark Souls is hard but fair.

Manual blocking without a shield in Bannerlord basically disincentivizes melee combat as a whole in single player. In multiplayer it's great.

I suspect that is the reason as well. Elaborated in my earlier post that I suspected that some had managed to reenable the behavior either through the modification of game files or memory editing. We just want an explanation from someone who actually knows.
This actually makes a lot of sense I could totally see this happening. People suck that’s why we can’t have nice things :sad:

This actually makes a lot of sense I could totally see this happening. People suck that’s why we can’t have nice things :sad:
Quite. And if that is the reason, and they can't fix it, I will henceforth cease all complaining, repurchase the game, and play it the way that I have to with the understanding that assholes are responsible for this -- not the devs. But if we do not get the courtesy of an explanation or the devs endorse the "get gud scrub" platform, no interest.

At this point, this thread continues to go in circles and serves nothing more but for insults thrown at each other. Most of you voiced your opinion one way or another which is why we'll be locking down this thread.
Brief summary:
Some people wanted auto-block to be added as an optional feature. Reasons varied from expecting a more relaxed experience for their preferred weaponry, others provided disabilities as a reason for it to be added.
Other people didn't want it to be added at all, with the most reasonable objection being based on possible exploits deriving from the feature for MP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. These threads will keep popping up and getting knocked down again due to elitist trolling/anti-elitist trolling backlash until there is some kind of official stance made on this feature or explanation given as to why it was removed. I suspect it was removed to eliminate multiplayer exploits. In any case, we wont know until a Taleworlds staff member responds, and we don't know when or if that will happen.

I have had it confirmed that these threads have been brought to their attention though. I think it would be a matter of simple courtesy to explain the situation.

Gotta agree, it's best that this get added in sometime in a later patch, which I personally do use. I would personally perhaps not include it in Multiplayer in general, unless they sort out competitive and casual games, which might then have it enabled or able-to-enable.

At least it's generally noticed out there about this, hardest times I had to deal without it was with duels, they seem to lunge at you without time to react.

I don't much care about auto-block and don't see why it's inclusion in SP would be an issue for anyone. I will say maybe it's an enticement for people to switch to MP by already having learned it. Hopefully someone will add a mod if it isn't added somewhere along EA development, but there seem to be much more significant issues ATM.

My question is this because I tended to always use a shield in warband and played very little MP, people who are good at blocking do you mouseblock or movement block? What is the preferred method for 1337 players so I learn it the correct way this time around? Mouse just seems unreliable, but I don't like my movement being locked down. Do I just need to learn the quirks of mouse?

Hell I might even unrefund the game myself if autoblock was readded.
Dunno if I'd play it over Warband yet in it's current state but it's ridiculous that it was ever removed. $40-$50 for less features than was offered in 2005 makes no sense. I mean that's not going to fix the level capping, memory leaks, uninteresting setting, ugly armor, or unfun mounted combat, but at least it would be a sign that the devs are willing to work with us.

I reluctantly agree with the removal of autoblock in principle. Singleplayer doesn't encourage the player to utilise the one thing that makes this game so unique: the combat.

But therein lies the issue: singleplayer practically forces you to fight absurd numbers of enemies at once in order to progress, and the issue is way worse in bannerlord than in warband. Everyone's campaigns seem to start with hours upon hours of kiting looters on horseback. The game very rarely deviates from this formula outside of the arena, which is optional. An entire game mechanic goes to waste because warband and now bannerlord are designed so that blocking is never worth it.

In a parallel universe version of warband which was more about the player running around as an individual fighting other individuals, autoblock should definitely be removed. But the current game is more like dynasty warriors than anything else, so it really should be in there.

Back
Top Bottom