[AURORA] Earth 2015 - Race to the stars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhessail

Panzervixen
Grandmaster Knight
NBrZ3JK.jpg

EARTH 2015
RACE TO THE STARS

AURORA COMMUNITY GAME

Hello and welcome to the second Aurora community game. Hopefully this one will not end with a massive world war and suicidal commercial skippers ruining it for everyone. As per the voting, the starting scenario is "realistic" Earth 2015. Each player assumes control of a single nation, loosely based on its statistics as of 2015 on our Earth.

Transnewtonian theory and minerals have been discovered. Now it is up to our stalwart nations to discover the secrets of the Universe, to explore, expand, exploit and exterminate as they stumble to the Final Frontier.

As before, I will handle all game mechanics, following the orders that players issue. Please send your orders via PM and use this as the topic:
"AURORA - country name"
Once I've replied to your PM, please always reply to my post, so that my poor inbox has a chance of keeping things tidy and organized, instead of sending me random untitled PMs that get easily lost.

At game start, all research will be directed at discovering Trans-Newtonian Theory, after which it will be possible to branch out. No industrial production is allowed until that has happened.

List of orders/priorities

1. MILITARY FOCUS
2. CIVILIAN FOCUS
3. BALANCED FOCUS

A. SOL FOCUS
B. EXTRA-SOL FOCUS

Like in the first game, players also need to decide what general doctrine their Space Navy will assume. The options are:

A) Battle Fleet
B) Carrier Fleet
C) Missile Fleet

Each has its pros and cons. Battle means that you will primarily employ large, heavily armoured ships armed with railguns or lasers. Carrier means that you want to utilize missile-armed fighters, housed on planets and/or carried on lightly armed carriers. Missile approach prioritizes construction of lightly armoured ships that employ mostly missiles. Missiles are often superior to beams but are also more expensive. Carrier based fleet will out range Missile fleet but is more expensive to research and construct as fighters need to be built separately. Feel free to ask further questions if you think of them.

Diplomacy is left entirely to the players. The game supports a variety of things, like research pacts, trade access, gifting of units or ships, spying (but only if you have enough espionage leaders), military alliances, trading of minerals and wealth and so on.

CURRENT PLAYERS

PRC - CHINA: MaHud
FRA - FRANCE: Vermillion_Hawk
GER - GERMANY: Úlfheðinn
JAP - JAPAN: Grimmend
MEX - MEXICO: Pixel
RUS - RUSSIA: Eternal
USA - AMERICA:ejnomad

LINKS TO YEARLY REPORTS
2015 - 2016
2017 - 2018
2019 - 2020
2021 - 2022
2023 - 2024
2025 - 2026
2027 - 2028

USEFUL LINKS
Buildings that can be constructed - use these names in your orders!
Explanation of different beam weaponry if you want to specify which to use
No tech tree because nobody has made one that would be complete and up-to-date. However, I will list the fields available here and what they roughly include:
  • Biology / Genetics - genetic engineering opens more planets for colonization. Also improves terraforming.
  • Construction / Production - makes asteroid and gas giant mining possible, improves all industrial aspects of a nation.
  • Defensive Systems - better armour, shields and stealth.
  • Energy Weapons - weaponry for close-range stuff.
  • Logistics / Ground Combat - enables advanced ground units, improved ship components.
  • Missiles / Kinetic Weapons - missile components and railguns.
  • Power and Propulsion - power plants and engines.
  • Sensors and Fire Control - active/passive sensors and components.

SPECIAL RULES
After researching Trans-Newtonian Theory, a nation can declare that it wants to break out of the Solar System. This pauses all other research as the expensive Jump Theory is undertaken by scientists, followed by other necessary components like Gravitational Survey Sensors and Jump Engines. It does not automatically allow a nation to start exploring other systems. This can be done hidden from other nations.

A nation cannot undertake orbital construction unless it has built both a Spaceport and a Mass Driver. Construction of either is impossible to hide from other nations.

All orbital construction in Earth orbit is visible to other players.

Countries can share certain special facilities on a planet:
Mass Driver (but only for orbital access, not for incoming mineral packets)
Space Port

Nah, it's fine. I'll edit the first two if/when I need to.

How can I resize that picture to be smaller? It's ****ing gigantic.

STARTING SITUATION OF COUNTRIES ON 1ST OF JANUARY 2015:

All countries start with 1 Tracking Station with a Strength of 250. This represents the radars and telescopes that easily observe near Earth space.

All countries start with 1 Ground Forces Training Facility, except for China and Russia who start with 2. You can only construct Low Tech Infantry or Low Tech Armour at game start. Please include in your order if you want a continuous construction of both, only one type, or just to increase your forces to X size.

All countries start with 1 Military Academy that supplies them with officers.

Number of conventional industry:
China 4439
France 645
German 919
Japan 1182
Mexico 525
Russia 906
USA 4358

Number of research labs:
China 18
France 19
Germany 25
Japan 31
Mexico 10
Russia 11
USA 40

EARTH TN MINERAL SITUATION:
Duranium 760 100
Neutronium 110 300
Corbomite 151 700
Tritanium 171 200
Boronide 172 800
Mercassium 198 700
Vendarite 153 800
Sorium 760 500
Uridium 198 100
Corundium 133 800
Gallicite 189 400

All with accessibility 1.0

Just noting since poor Mexico is the only person without any nuclear capability and others may take advantage of that. The United States will continue to enforce the Monroe Doctrine.

Germany stands ready for space! (Soon tm.)

Our embassies are open if any nation wishes to address us (please use PMs).

So dumb question here, but given that research is the first order of business, can we build anything before industry is unlocked?

Nope.

Well, technically you can but I think it's a hassle to give list of orders now and then having to completely redo them once TN-Theory is done. Plus at start you have 0 minerals, so it's best to let the game roll for a bit, gather stockpiles and unlock TN-stuff first.

But please PM me your orders when you can, I'll put them in as soon as your country can. Oh, also, let me know if you want to share your geological (and later, gravitational) survey data with another player. Because there is no button to share what you already know between two powers (well there is but it doesn't work if you start in the same system) so any survey-treaties should be completed before one side begins surveying.

Why would you want to share? Well, because it allows specialization, especially with the weaker/smaller powers. Shipyards are a pretty massive undertaking to construct and I expect that no country will have any yard capacity to spare in the early game, so if you make a geo survey treaty with another power, you can focus on making survey ships while they build naval ships or vice versa. Note that geological and gravitational surveys are two entirely different things, so they also require two separate treaties.

Then there is trade access for the commercial side of your country - at start all countries allow trade with all other countries. Let me know if you want this changed.

Research sharing is also possible. Either on individual tech basis or on a permanent basis.

NOTABLE SCIENTISTS (Bonus 20% or higher) BY COUNTRY:
China - none
France - Theodore Pilat SF and Agatha Barnier BG
Germany - Henning Spranger DS and Susi von Holzappel PP
Japan - none
Mexico - none
Russia - Romanovna Vavilov CP and Pyotr Tkachyov PP
USA - Noe Lunden EW and Rolland Amie CP

BELOVED LEADERS:
China - Deng Qiang Ai (insightful) male
France - Claude Tondre (callous, decisive, focused) female
Germany - Astrid Richter (motivated) female
Japan - Kokan Fujiko (energetic, risk-taker) female
Mexico - Diogenes Arriaga Anguiano (ambitious, authoritarian, many social interests) male
Russia - Jasha Gorbatov (embraces change, faith in others, friendly, patient) male
USA - Joseph Kantrowitz (arrogant) male

I was hoping I'd get Miguel Alcubierre :razz:

Also, if I'm understanding this properly, what with not being able to research or build for now, is our first set of orders just diplomacy or what?

No, you should give me a full set of orders so that I can put them into action ASAP as your country finishes with TN-Theory. It's just not going to be 1.1.2015 - it's actually going to be 2016 before anyone reaches that milestone but because it'll be different for each country, I want them this way.

French and German orders received loud and clear, thank you Úlfheðinn and Vermillion_Hawk. Eternal gave me a start for Russia, needs clarifying though.

Also, when making a diplomatic deal, both sides need to confirm it.

Added a new special rule:

Countries can share certain special facilities on a planet:
Mass Driver (but only for orbital access, not for incoming mineral packets)
Space Port

While it's eventually necessary for all countries to have their own mass drivers and space ports, on the short term it could be advantageous to share the facilities. For example, Player A could build space port while Player B builds a mass driver - thus both players could start constructing shipyards in orbit slightly quicker. Note that a space port is significantly more expensive and time consuming to build than a mass driver.

Trans-Newtonian minerals are found on Earth. The secrets of the universe appear to be reachable for all. China, France. Germany, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United States all declare their plans for further research and exploration of these new ideas and materials. Rest of the world goes "meh".

The countries spend the year slowly mining TN minerals through conventional industry, each creating a modest stockpile of minerals.

26th MAY

René Guillory of France announces that the secrets of TN Theory have been unlocked. France launches three massive industrial projects: the first to convert a significant amount of her industry into TN-standard mines, the second to convert a significant amount of her industry to TN-standard factories and the third to construct a space port. France also announces that it will be expanding her ground forces.

16th JUNE

Romanovna Vavilov of Russia announces that the secrets of TN Theory have been unlocked. Russia follows the French example albeit instead of a space port, she plans to expand her R&D capabilities.

16th SEPTEMBER

Henning Spranger of Germany announces that the secrets of TN Theory have been unlocked. Germany follows the Russian example.

21st SEPTEMBER

Hosokaya Wazuka of Japan announces that the secrets of TN Theory have been unlocked. Japan follow the French example albeit instead of a space port, she plans to expand her leadership training programs.

Back
Top Bottom