Athletic vs Riding

Users who are viewing this thread

Maximum997

Squire
Same hero

5 focus points. Dozens of battles on foot, hours of traveling on foot
75 athletic

2 focus points. 5 battles against looters with bow.
77 riding.

It is just really unbalanced.

Riding + Bow synergizes because the arrow's speed gets put into the XP gains of Riding as a velocity bonus.

Were you using a bow on foot?

Yeah, I've noticed. Anyway, Athletic just levels slowly and I don't know why they set it so low.
I guess it is becouse of summary of bow+riding. Shot from horse worhts more then shot from foot, a lot more. Becouse i noticed that bow is growing a lot faster from horse.

It is just really unbalanced.
You just described the whole game.

But you´re right, but it´s really hard to change some numbers. Maybe in 2 months? TW is working hard on adding a new hog texture right now.

As a small indie company they need to make decisions, working on a new hog texture or working on balance stuff. They can´t do both! So they work on the texture. But they do their best and they are aware that the balance sucks. I mean it´s EA, don´t expect any balance!

You should have waited for the final release when they have fixed it.

Everything works against leveling athletics, compared to riding. Its not just the much bigger mounted speed bonuses that level riding so quickly, but you also get so many more opportunities to do damage while riding. On foot, it takes longer to reach the enemy, and then you've got maybe 30 sec to a minute of actual fighting before the enemies are running away and you try to catch up while the riders are racking up free kills

I find it impossible to command my army on foot. You can't see anything, and my cav needs serious babysitting. Plus you need to be in the right spot to lay down position flags.

I tried traveling on foot to get athletics, then mounting right before a battle. Of course I forgot 90% of the time.

but you also get so many more opportunities to do damage while riding. On foot, it takes longer to reach the enemy, and then you've got maybe 30 sec to a minute of actual fighting before the enemies are running away and you try to catch up while the riders are racking up free kills
Not sure.

As footman i just flank the enemies and CHOP CHOP them from back with my 2h axe. So i do a lot more damage and kills. But form some reason
same damage from horse counts a lot more then same damage on foot.

And btw Athletic is ridicilous.

It is only 175 and i wear very heavy armor

Same armor with 50 athletic

After that i never ever used a block on weapons, becouse you can dodge pretty much everything

On low athletic hero is just stupidly slow
On high athletic hero is just stupidly fast

Athletics is very slow to level and at low levels it's incredibly frustrating but at high levels, 125+ it's insanely overpowered. Add to the fact that if you get far enough up the tree you can add points to vigor or control and endurance. I rarely spec more than a point or 2 into riding but I'll put 5 into athletics every time even if I end up playing mostly as cavalry the ability to move quickly in sieges, hideouts and around towns/villages is just too good.

Imho athletics shouldn't affect how fast your character is, it should be about mitigating the effects of wearing heavy armor, and the more you run around in heavy armor the faster it levels up and eventually when you have it high enough your character won't be slowed down by heavier armor.

Last edited:
athletics outpaces your 1h skill if you use thrust attacks.

I made my last char in tutorial to 175 1H and 125 athletics. If you have spiked club, from the brother, you should be able to stab 2x in the head at first without killing, then club the radagos raider.

This way youll have 7 targes in each run. Retreat before radagos fight.

My last build was 8 vigor at start, 5 1H focus asap, I witheld leveling up endurance and gave no focus to athlecits unti l75 1-handed.

Why withold exping athletics at the start ? Well, it will kill your exp rate from 14x very fast otherwise. Still, you need 175 athletics (or 2?) for 9th vigor and 225 smithing much later on, its fine at lv-18-20.

If you dont level up your melee in the tutorial, forget about it later on. 1H skill and adding up athletics will build you levels. - and decrease your exp income. So choose carefully to not waste early levels on filler stuff. The higher your skill ceiling in an area, the more you can gain levels from total exp. I currently have something like 230 1H and 205 athletics, I used no speed buffs, Retreating looters no prob.

Athletics dont almost level up from ranged. swing attacks do barely, but thrusting, as with 1H, 2H, Polearms does the job. If you later on do 300 pierce with 1 handed headshot, exp will keep flowing.

they need to give 2H sword and xbow to tutorial, (like brothers add-on equipment) make hunting crossbow the lightest one. Light one is too good for tutorial, and make it shoot from horse

You just described the whole game.

But you´re right, but it´s really hard to change some numbers. Maybe in 2 months? TW is working hard on adding a new hog texture right now.

As a small indie company they need to make decisions, working on a new hog texture or working on balance stuff. They can´t do both! So they work on the texture. But they do their best and they are aware that the balance sucks. I mean it´s EA, don´t expect any balance!

You should have waited for the final release when they have fixed it.
Cannot wait for that new Hog texture will add so much to the game.

And btw difference between high athletic and low athletic is just insane.

You are running like 5 times faster.
What says the formula now? It used to be something like 0.15 for point at the release, that means +45% if you reach 300. The 1000 stats man of some YouTube video before the release used different skills and perk, was a real Monster,!

What says the formula now? It used to be something like 0.15 for point at the release, that means +45% if you reach 300. The 1000 stats man of some YouTube video before the release used different skills and perk, was a real Monster,!

Effects
Running speed +0.06% per level

But look at the video, it is not 15% with my 175. I am sure it is not.

Of course there is another perk like "fitting armor" but still

do you want to know how to level up athletics or not ?

I guess you are not, since you just keep blabbering.

When on foot, swinging attacks give very small exp to athletics.

Thrusting attacks give something like 10x the amount of exp to athletics. Or more.

But youll keep blabbering :grin: I told you, but I wont repeat myself to too self-important individuals.

Back
Top Bottom