Athletic vs Riding

Users who are viewing this thread

Javelins used as thrusting weapons i will turn it into a normal 2 handed polearm, as far as i noticed ... most of the time also javelins in thrusting mode will always outpower normal polearms ... i mean up to 130 dmg per stab with a tier 2 weapon is quite on the unbalanced side. But athletics is really a pain in the butt to level, because you have much more advantages whilst using cavalry. But the bonus of going through leveling athletics is quite good. It is harder to level and it yields a more rewarding bonus, so it is kind of balanced in my opinion.

I really dont like mounted fights on BL

I dont know why, but i just dont enjoy it at all
For me, mounted is OK but I would prefer being on foot. The problem is that I can't figure out how to progress at a reasonable rate except as a horse archer. It seems like the game is optimized for that.

well ... to be honest, the game is imo more fun with cavalry charges ... most of the time, i go to the front, dealing with about half of the enemy myself, if they are on foot, and only then i command my army to barge in ... if they have cavalry or more than 50 soldiers, my army barges in from the get go ... but to put it in perspective: it's clear, why cavalry is much stronger, than infantry alone ... mobility wise, charging damage etc. pp. but you gain more potent abilities imo, if you are going through and slug through athletics ... btw tested the t2 javelin method thrusting method ... it is quite effective in the early game

do you want to know how to level up athletics or not ?

I guess you are not, since you just keep blabbering.

When on foot, swinging attacks give very small exp to athletics.

Thrusting attacks give something like 10x the amount of exp to athletics. Or more.

But youll keep blabbering :grin: I told you, but I wont repeat myself to too self-important individuals.
I read this post a couple of days ago and went to try it out I went from athletics of around 95 and lagging behind most other skills to now over 175. I can't believe I didn't know about this before, thanks so much it makes life much much easier. :xf-smile:

Have told in another Post, Athletic is powerful but hard to level. Just tested it with the developer console on 275. Sometimes you are faster as a horse and have nearly the same health pool. But i havent reached 275 via normal gaming...it stucks after 130

I read this post a couple of days ago and went to try it out I went from athletics of around 95 and lagging behind most other skills to now over 175. I can't believe I didn't know about this before, thanks so much it makes life much much easier.
It is some kind of bug i guess. Like with smithing. Becouse there is no logic behind it.

Last edited:
TW logic is not based on reality. :xf-tongue:
Rgit now athletic is bugged in two ways:

1) growing athletic is kinda stupid. Becouse with same time spend (not using thrust exploit) riding grows 5 times faster.
2) Effect is just stupidly huge. Game says it is 0,06% for 1 skill. But it is not at all.

well tbh, thrusts logically speaking also grant a higher risk ... thrusting leaves you vulnerable ... but tbh after 10 hours of vanilla gameplay i went through the mods ... because it makes no sense, that tournaments rewards you less exp than a normal battle ... fighting 10 looters with pikes and stones grant you more exp, than a tournament, where you fight against more advanced troops ? ... i leveled my athletic to 250 alone with tournaments after installing the mods ... because for me vanilla lacks many features and balances, which the mods clearly buff out a bit ^^

well tbh, thrusts logically speaking also grant a higher risk ... thrusting leaves you vulnerable ... but tbh after 10 hours of vanilla gameplay i went through the mods ... because it makes no sense, that tournaments rewards you less exp than a normal battle ... fighting 10 looters with pikes and stones grant you more exp, than a tournament, where you fight against more advanced troops ? ... i leveled my athletic to 250 alone with tournaments after installing the mods ... because for me vanilla lacks many features and balances, which the mods clearly buff out a bit ^^
Hell just getting to select different rewards is enough reason to install tournament mods because getting the same crappy sword multiple times gets really annoying.

Thrusting attacks give something like 10x the amount of exp to athletics. Or more.
This is what I was looking for! Was about to make a topic asking about athletics skill gain formulas!
So is it just the highest thrust damage or will weapon type help too?

If anyone know too I'm curios does the Bow damage just not get the same exp for athletic as it does for riding?
It just seems so bazaar that you can get massive riding exp standing still shooting long shots, but doing the exact same on foot seems indistinguishable from any other shot on foot, which of course levels athletics much slower then shooting on horse does riding.

When I create new char I choose those options that I get 6 points of Endurance. (Later I get one End from athletics and then I continue with Blacksmithing to get one point of End again so altoghether I will have 8 what is more than enough with focus points in athletics.)

Because I hate to join a faction very late for leveling takes time I prefer to "waste" more than real hour in turorial. As my bro already mentioned (Toma) most important thing for athletics is melee piercing dmg while moving. Kind of dance - go close to provoke attack step back hit attack while going forward (so both speeds - of target and yours collide) aiming head or chest if head would insta kill target what we do not want in tutorial hideout. My lowest must have skill to finish Radagost is 125 atl - taking a perk giving more speed bonus - so more athletics exp in future. To farms that hideout just repeat as bro wrote attacks with that highland mace first piercing hit or two if still low dmg you cause then finish target with regular blunt strike to have all targets alive next run.

I save everytime before next run to load if I accidentally kill target in hideout for it is easier to get atl from 8-7 targets than just from 4 of them if they get killed. Thoughs it is pain to take more than an hour I guess such repetitive work but time is stoped no factions takes anything while you get decent atl and 1H skill - best for leveling foot troops anyway. I wish 2H or Spear was similar to 1H leveling bonuses but it is not so.

Even later I guess many ppl do not realize that taking heavy armor is very bad for athletics exp for you need max movement. I also prefer that perk reducing armor weight but still I use imperial studded leather armor or similar giving good protection but being still light. Also I usually move shield on back when at melee range to have better speed bonus, I do not take that perk reducing shield penalty for after hitting 200 athl I finally take a horse and then bow to level up riding.

Just after geting 200 athl through tournaments and mostly by hunting looters I level up BS to get huge money needed for good bow and heavy gear for on the horse finally there is no need to be light:smile: I think that there is no need more than 8 atributes to End, Vig and Ctrl ofc some atributes char gets from perks so watch for them - atl (end and vig perk gives also 5 speed for foot troops so vig seems better than ctr here), BS - end and either vig or ctrl.

Last edited:
"Athletics skill increases by doing thrust attacks but not swings"

Why am I not surprised that yet another mechanic is dictated by such capricious logic?

When I create new char I choose those options that I get 6 points of Endurance. (Later I get one End from athletics and then I continue with Blacksmithing to get one point of End again so altoghether I will have 8 what is more than enough with focus points in athletics.)

Because I hate to join a faction very late for leveling takes time I prefer to "waste" more than real hour in turorial. As my bro already mentioned (Toma) most important thing for athletics is melee piercing dmg while moving. Kind of dance - go close to provoke attack step back hit attack while going forward (so both speeds - of target and yours collide) aiming head or chest if head would insta kill target what we do not want in tutorial hideout. My lowest must have skill to finish Radagost is 125 atl - taking a perk giving more speed bonus - so more athletics exp in future. To farms that hideout just repeat as bro wrote attacks with that highland mace first piercing hit or two if still low dmg you cause then finish target with regular blunt strike to have all targets alive next run.

I save everytime before next run to load if I accidentally kill target in hideout for it is easier to get atl from 8-7 targets than just from 4 of them if they get killed. Thoughs it is pain to take more than an hour I guess such repetitive work but time is stoped no factions takes anything while you get decent atl and 1H skill - best for leveling foot troops anyway. I wish 2H or Spear was similar to 1H leveling bonuses but it is not so.

Even later I guess many ppl do not realize that taking heavy armor is very bad for athletics exp for you need max movement. I also prefer that perk reducing armor weight but still I use imperial studded leather armor or similar giving good protection but being still light. Also I usually move shield on back when at melee range to have better speed bonus, I do not take that perk reducing shield penalty for after hitting 200 athl I finally take a horse and then bow to level up riding.

Just after geting 200 athl through tournaments and mostly by hunting looters I level up BS to get huge money needed for good bow and heavy gear for on the horse finally there is no need to be light:smile: I think that there is no need more than 8 atributes to End, Vig and Ctrl ofc some atributes char gets from perks so watch for them - atl (end and vig perk gives also 5 speed for foot troops so vig seems better than ctr here), BS - end and either vig or ctrl.
K now I'm confused is it piecing damage or thrust attack that is giving the 10X more athletics skill? Or both?

Piercing attacks with tutorial mace your brother has - thrusting attacks - sorry for not being clear enough. Later I choose 1h swords like thamascene spathion to have highest pierce dmg using thrust (and reach).

Same is with spear - twohanded with big pierce dmg is fine for atl leveling, I like its reach but those perks are weaker to 1h. I wonder why with 2H bardiche is not player allowed to thrust too for its end of edge is sharp more than enough. Then atl from 2h axes would be easier too and also better facing horses.

It is just beta I hope it will be fixed same is with riding, trying to level riding with melee attacks in comparison to shooting is probably same grave difference as is athletics leveling using thrusting attacks in comparison to swinging ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom