Athletic is much slower to rise up, than riding

Users who are viewing this thread

Kshahdoo

Recruit
Why is it, I wonder.

I have 5 focus points in Athletic and 2 FP in Riding. Now, what do you think, what skill is easier to level up? (Answer: not that, I have 5 FP in).

damage

same for crossbow vs bow

bow on horseback and lance is very likely to not make you take damage, on foot, you deal less damage and are much more likely to be on the receiving end, prolonging time between engagements and damage dealt.

you cant deal 500 damage on foot, unless youre javeliner and hit an approaching car driver coming at you 100 km/h in the head.

Couched lance 500-700 damage.

Noticed that as well. Extremely slow to level, a bit of a pain when playing infantry without (riding) horses. My recruits are faster than me.

damage

same for crossbow vs bow

bow on horseback and lance is very likely to not make you take damage, on foot, you deal less damage and are much more likely to be on the receiving end, prolonging time between engagements and damage dealt.

you cant deal 500 damage on foot, unless youre javeliner and hit an approaching car driver coming at you 100 km/h in the head.

So the leveling up pace for both skills depends on damage, you deal, and nothing more?

damage

same for crossbow vs bow

Can we get a source on that? Cause as far as I'm aware it levels by just running on foot much like riding levels from riding on a horse.

Can we get a source on that? Cause as far as I'm aware it levels by just running on foot much like riding levels from riding on a horse.

his point is that on a horse you have a higher movement bonus to damage so you get extra XP to riding, versus on foot where you dont get as big of movement bonuses to damage.

I find that a good two handed weapon or polearm gets me higher athletics XP due to high damage, but could easily be just me imagining things.

his point is that on a horse you have a higher movement bonus to damage so you get extra XP to riding, versus on foot where you dont get as big of movement bonuses to damage.

I find that a good two handed weapon or polearm gets me higher athletics XP due to high damage, but could easily be just me imagining things.
That makes sense, thanks. I misinterpreted their statement as it wasn't quite clear enough. I wonder if that's how it really works. I thought, as mentioned above, it was more of a progress by doing type of system.

I believe xp gain in practice arenas is diminished, but I've been testing in the Vlandian arena through gains in One-Handed, Crossbow and Athletics.

I have One-Handed at 74, Crossbow at 70 and Athletics at 68. Starting out, I would have thought Athletics would have outpaced crossbows (END 4 and FP 4 vs VIG 3 and FP 4), which I only got to test every other fight. So it's definitely much slower than the other skill gains at the moment.

The Beta is testing faster skill levels, so I hope in time this won't be such a drag.

Last edited:
I'd heard good things about Blacksmithing, did anything change there?
I'm a wrong person to ask this, I've just dabbled in BS, all I can say is that I'm having difficulties unlocking parts, but it does seem to be progressing nicely even without all focus points in the skill.

I'd heard good things about Blacksmithing, did anything change there?
Well... It's messed up.
Smithing XP, unlocks and prices are based on weapon DPS. So you just need to craft whatever has the highest possible DPS, usually a 2H sword, or a polearm if you get some high damage cutting head.
Conversely, you can get metal from smelting high-end throwing knives or daggers (Pugio, Southern throwing blades) that are sold at a price well below the material cost.

You can level to 275+ in about two days of playing. You'll also get an absolute ton of money. What you won't get, unless you spend weeks crafting and smelting parts and hunting for hardwood, are unlocking what you need. It's purely random and the less you progress, the less unlocks you get. Plus there are hundreds of cosmetic parts.

So when you get to "legendary", you'll probably have to spend weeks IRL grinding to get the blade you want. If you get it. You'll probably get millions of GPs in the process, though. Be prepared to look at the "waiting " screen for hours on end.

I don't know why TW devs are THAT focused on DPS. Maybe they all dream about being an axe barbarian :smile:

That makes sense, thanks. I misinterpreted their statement as it wasn't quite clear enough. I wonder if that's how it really works. I thought, as mentioned above, it was more of a progress by doing type of system.

I honestly think it depends on how tough the troop you do the damage to is, as well. Who knows though, I'd need to test these theories, maybe I will and report back.

For me, I just choose one riding or athletics especially early on and stick with it. I think there are advantages and playstyles for both, never had much luck mixing the two.

With Riding it's not that simple as well. I killed a dozen of looters with 1h sword and didn't get a single lvl of Riding. Killed 3 looters with a bow and got 2 Riding levels.

Yeah, bow kills definitely give XP bonus to Riding, but not to Athletic. Again, why?

Last edited:
i do believe distance is also a factor and where you hit with a crossbow/bow

you do not have to be moving, i mostly charge into the enemy with my crossbow attacks to gain that accelaration dmg yet it seems to lvl me slower than distance and area i hit (the heads a good source of xp)

Last edited:
With Riding it's not that simple as well. I killed a dozen of looters with 1h sword and didn't get a single lvl of Riding. Killed 3 looters with a bow and got 2 Riding levels.

Yeah, bow kills definitely give XP bonus to Riding, but not to Athletic. Again, why?

It has to do with the speed you are going when you kill them for Riding.

It has to do with the speed you are going when you kill them for Riding.
that is not necessarily all there is to it

i have posted 3 pictures above, the 73m/s is just the natural crossbow speed, the 99m/s is me charging the enemy and the 77m/s got 6 skill points of riding

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom