Athletic is much slower to rise up, than riding

Users who are viewing this thread

Noticed that as well. Extremely slow to level, a bit of a pain when playing infantry without (riding) horses. My recruits are faster than me.

Yeah I think "infantry" style of playing should be made much more attractive. There are so many or pretty much only disadvantages at the moment.

Yeah I think "infantry" style of playing should be made much more attractive. There are so many or pretty much only disadvantages at the moment.

It's actually pretty realistic. Vikings were infantry only, because they were sea raiders, and when they came to serve to Ancient Rus rulers, they usually learned to use horses.

It's actually pretty realistic. Vikings were infantry only, because they were sea raiders, and when they came to serve to Ancient Rus rulers, they usually learned to use horses.

Not sure what this has to do with the leveling speed between athletics and riding. Or why playing on foot should be such a worse option as playstyle compared to riding.
Realistically riding should level slower since it doesn`t come as natural as running and being generally in a physical fit condition. The perks in athletics currently imply you are somewhat stronger and fitter. You get more hitpoints, you walk faster, you can carry more, your kicks and bashes can knock someone down, hardly anything a real person would have to "learn" new skills for.
Perks for riding imply you are better at fighting from horseback which in real life could took a person years to achieve becoming actually good at it. There is a difference in "using" a horse and being good at controlling a horse in full sprint while using weapons doing so - years of training it is!

Nobody to this day knows exactly why the french knights at the battle of Azincourt dismounted and engaged on foot, since theiy put their life on the line they still must have had a good reason making that decision.
Fighting on horseback isn`t always by default the superior option, however it currently is in Mount & Blade I would say. Whatever the reason behind different level speeds, the conclusion so far seems to be we do much higher damage values on horseback. A playstyle as a infantrymen should have more and better benefits for your indvidual combat skills I think.
I mean a dismounting horse archer or any cavalery wouldn`t necessarily be a match for a trained infantrymen. While there are surely benefits for using a horse you can`t argue against and it just is as it is, better overview, easier to disengage etc.

Btw, I haven't tested it fully, but it looks like head shots give more XP, than regular hits, and not just for bows, but for melee as well. Now I always try to score headshots with my 1h sword.

That's probably the case, since headshots do more damage and head armors are generally lower (which is frankly not realistic). M&B one gave you xp depending on shot difficulty. Here ? I suspect damage is the main factor. Heck, it is even the case for Smithing :smile:

I said km/h not m/s. Sure it's "only" 26 m/s or 93 km/h or 58 mph, which is impossible speed for a horse. Horse speed world record is 77.6 km/h, other sources say 70.7 km/h. And it was a race horse on a track, not some war horse in the field.

But I know that this is a game and all that. Wasn't going to delve into discussion of realism, just expressed sincere surprise at such numbers.

i never said 26m/s. just 20m/s which is far lower than your projection, in fact my horse is around 16-18m/s when using a lance depending if there also coming towards me but it averages at that, the crossbow probably goes 80m/s+ when its first fired since at 70 meters it has lost some velocity

Btw, I haven't tested it fully, but it looks like head shots give more XP, than regular hits, and not just for bows, but for melee as well. Now I always try to score headshots with my 1h sword.
That's probably the case, since headshots do more damage and head armors are generally lower (which is frankly not realistic). M&B one gave you xp depending on shot difficulty. Here ? I suspect damage is the main factor. Heck, it is even the case for Smithing :smile:

you do gain more xp from headshots, the distance is also a massive factor in determining xp too, which is why close up i dont get nearly enough like the 6 levels i got from 70ms away

Last edited:
240 fps medieval crossbow? Damn... Horse charging at ~90 km/h? Devs please..

I killed countless looters with this guy solo, no horse of course. Just staying out of stones range, shooting and running away) Mostly in the forests, because trees provide a lot of cover. Should I run out of arrows, I immediately retreated to reload my quivers and engage again. Well, I was having fun, until some guy posted a research that running speed is almost unaffected by armor weight. It ruined the whole idea of cosplay :sad:

image.png
hadn't read this comment before, man this is hilarious!!! hahaaha
I think you've discovered the only way to have fun in the game until they fix and patch-in the missing features. hahahahahahaha :lol::lol::lol:

My biggest problem levelling Athletics is the enemies run away too fast. You get maybe 30-60 seconds to inflict damage and then you're chasing them as they flee across the map

You do get XP from "running" around the campaign map on foot, just like if your riding a horse.

And by running "on foot" on the campaign map, while keeping a horse for you, and horses for your men in your inventory, you will move super fast anyway. I lost a grand total of 0.1 speed on the map out of 6.8-7.4 speed which I normally kept. Now I only go by foot on the campaign map, and equip a horse for a fight where I need a horse, just to level my athletics - and it's been going up pretty damn fast! I am over 100 now.

Midnitewolf said:

You do get XP from "running" around the campaign map on foot, just like if your riding a horse.
And by running "on foot" on the campaign map, while keeping a horse for you, and horses for your men in your inventory, you will move super fast anyway. I lost a grand total of 0.1 speed on the map out of 6.8-7.4 speed which I normally kept. Now I only go by foot on the campaign map, and equip a horse for a fight where I need a horse, just to level my athletics - and it's been going up pretty damn fast! I am over 100 now.

Check my reply right below you pal.
That's not a bad idea, actually. I was mainly talking about chasing them across the battlefield after they start retreating, though. You get such a short window to fight on foot because the enemies start running away so quickly. On horseback you get a lot more chances to level just from cutting down the fleeing enemies.

damage

same for crossbow vs bow

bow on horseback and lance is very likely to not make you take damage, on foot, you deal less damage and are much more likely to be on the receiving end, prolonging time between engagements and damage dealt.

you cant deal 500 damage on foot, unless youre javeliner and hit an approaching car driver coming at you 100 km/h in the head.

Couched lance 500-700 damage.
It makes more sense to award xp based on troop tier that you killed/wounded like warband did than this combo damage or speed mechanic they have employed this time around. Each point of damage for a certain tier (i.e. level) gets you a certain amount of xp seems like a better mechanic. The amount of xp needed for successive skill points helps balance out late game growth. Damage is already afforded a multiplier based on speed and where you hit minus absorption. Higher tier troops are more heavily armored and more likely to hurt you back, so it makes sense they would give you more xp per damage or kill, while looters are practically freebies if you got enough armor and ranged skill. Thrown rocks still hurt even in some of the best armor in the game, but you can still circle around on a mount for quite awhile and if you run away to take a shot from distance you could do that indefinitely while staying out of range of the thrown rocks. Time consuming of course, but doable.

Thrown rocks still hurt even in some of the best armor in the game, but you can still circle around on a mount for quite awhile and if you run away to take a shot from distance you could do that indefinitely while staying out of range of the thrown rocks. Time consuming of course, but doable.
thrown rocks can be taken from the ground but a magnet keeps them in the shield, seems the rocks are ferrous. At 8 meters 39,5 m/s while I was stationary. Speed of 128 km/h. Such a hit with a rock as big as in game would make s single hit very likely fatal when landing it well.

if this is supposed to be like slings ... ? Not sure, missiles speeds and weights need some adjusting. Crafted heaviest harpoons really look hilarious when they shoot mounted enemies from the saddle, or when the hit makes them practically standstill while horses continue running.

Stop fooling around, that's exactly what you said.

I'm pretty sure 99 - 73 = 26. You never mentioned enemy was also charging at you, therefore his speed is considered negligible.

fooling around? my bad, you must of misread me, let me explain further then, 73m/s is the natural speed of the crossbow bolt at *76 meters* things dont maintain the same speed over long distance, the crossbow at close range can easily go 80m/s to 85m/s, which added to the speed of my horse means it enters the 99m/s range

Athletics is harder to raise than Riding, true...

But have you seen the end results? My 2h weapon "heavy infantry"-based character hit 280 athletics a few days ago, and he just flies across the battlefield in heavy armor.

Sure, having high Riding is going to noticeably improve your riding skill, but there is an innate diminishing returns with Riding because its so good to start out (compared to athletics). An early game character on horseback is much more powerful than one on foot.

But yeah late game all that walking really pays off, believe me you.

Back
Top Bottom