Assessing Taleworlds As a Company

Users who are viewing this thread

JimmyCakes

Regular
I've been going over the Glassdoor reviews of Taleworlds for a glimpse of what it was like to work there and what could possibly lead to development taking 8 years. It's not 100% reliable info but it could help us understand the culture that can lead to 8 years development on something that feels like it should have taken an experienced team about 2 years to make.

It seems there's high praise for the company owner, the dude we see in interviews Armağan Yavuz. I get the impression too that he's passionate about the game, maybe his attention is fixated on that instead of running the company. The bulk of the employees seem to be university interns probably because they're low cost if they're even paid at all which is concerning, I wonder how often they're leaving the company and being replaced by new interns which would severely lead to inconsistent development in all aspects as more and more noobs are putting their grubby hands on the game.

Above all I see a lack of seniority and leadership, as usual it all stems from the top. Intern/junior developers are doing what they want with no experienced leaders overseeing and nurturing them. This would be a good explanation for the state Bannerlord's in after 8 years, even if it's hard to believe considering the success of the original game I would like to think Armagan would have surrounded himself with experienced developers who could help bring his vision to life and build a solid team and workflow.

The intern point I think explains the reason for the time to develop this game. The success they have had at launch is amazing though and I am very happy for them, and I have been patiently waiting for this game for a long time. Glad its here and looking forward to see its development over the next few years.
It has its problems but still better than majority of the early access games I have played over past few years.

Judging by the sales of Bannerlord in EA, TW now has the income to hire better staff if they wanted.
That's the concerning part though, they didn't seem to do that after Warband, will they do the same now and continue to take short cuts with the staff?

If this is 8 years of development, I'd hate to see where it was a year ago. I am not just talking about bugs, the game has no sense of balance and flow to it at all.

That's the concerning part though, they didn't seem to do that after Warband, will they do the same now and continue to take short cuts with the staff?
Skilled developers don't grow on trees and Ankara isn't exactly a go-to destination for tech workers. I suspect Taleworlds are no different from any other company in the field the past few years - it's not so much a question of taking shortcuts as it is taking the best you can from what's available.

Big studios with lots of resources and experienced programmers still put out turds.

I'm happier with this release than any Ubisoft title in recent history.

Skilled developers don't grow on trees and Ankara isn't exactly a go-to destination for tech workers. I suspect Taleworlds are no different from any other company in the field the past few years - it's not so much a question of taking shortcuts as it is taking the best you can from what's available.

I don't get the impression they're organised at all, it's not only about experienced developers, it's about installing a structure that will get the best out of people, it doesn't seem to be there. So if it's taken 8 years just to reach this point.. I think a year is optimistic for a full release of the game - maybe 3 more years.

They don't take 8 years to put out turds though, usually a year and a half at most.
Well, I don't think this game is a turd. It's still Mount & Blade, but with improved graphics, physics, bigger world, more activities and options, etc..

User feedback on Steam is currently listed as 'very positive.' It seems to be selling well. Can't say that about The Division 2 or Breakpoint.

They don't take 8 years to put out turds though, usually a year and a half at most.
Just because a game is announced a year before release doesn't mean that's when the development started. Bannerlord got announced before they even had the game engine ready.

Well, I don't think this game is a turd. It's still Mount & Blade, but with improved graphics, physics, bigger world, more activities and options, etc..

User feedback on Steam is currently listed as 'very positive.' It seems to be selling well. Can't say that about The Division 2 or Breakpoint.
I think he's talking about those other games.

I really think TaleWorlds should do an estatement about the real years of developement they did on Bannerlord... because all the hate they are getting in the forums comes in form of: "8 years of developement for this...".
I honestly don't think they have been developing for straight 8 years. With they community they have, being transparent about the problems they got/have is honestly the best aproach I think they could take. It is never easy to show the world the errors you have commited but there are times that doing so is going to be better than just remain silent. Thankfully we have a community here that loves the franchise and the company (mostly) so I don't really think they will get more hate if they explain themself

ow god what kinda trolls are here, jeezus; spend your time ingame;

First, its a early access; much like warband needed tons of fixes; Its not a AAA game, so don't go complaining; it looks magnificent. Are there issue's, yes was it expected : yes.

People playing on a potato having performance issue's should not be suprised. The game is "cleaned up" for a release that is clear, perhaps 50 to 60% of the content is clearly lacking; perhaps cause its not finished or perhaps cause it led to issues. Whatever the case, trolling on the company is useless; they will fix it and its super mod - able, meaning if TW won't, the community will.

Stop the trolls, start the game.

I don't get the impression they're organised at all, it's not only about experienced developers, it's about installing a structure that will get the best out of people, it doesn't seem to be there. So if it's taken 8 years just to reach this point.. I think a year is optimistic for a full release of the game - maybe 3 more years.
Tends to be a catch-22. To get the structure you need people with experience to hang the structure on, but to get experienced staff you need some kind of structure that incentivises them to stay. To be fair, it's a pretty common issue for most small - mid sized tech companies.
I don't think a year is all that optimistic. Most of what's missing at present is simply content rather than core system and that shouldn't take a whole lot of time and effort to add.

They sold a lame game, a better looking warband. They got the money....big money. I bet they wont work for the improvements anymore.

First of all it’s not 8 years for bannerlord it’s 8 years for engine AND game. Developing the engine is not easy or quick. Especially when you do it as your second project ever. Also compare vanilla Mount and Blade to Warband. Just chill.

They sold a lame game, a better looking warband. They got the money....big money. I bet they wont work for the improvements anymore.
That's the worst case scenario isn't it, they get satisfied before they've even finished the game. All my friends who loved the Warband singleplayer straight away recongised the laziness of the Bannerlord single player.

Back
Top Bottom