Users who are viewing this thread

MawlanaAQ

Recruit
Hello everyone.

Aserai faction is based on Arabian culture, but we have a serious problem with names, NPCs and cities are mostly not Arabic names, they make no sense as names or even Arabic words at all!

Examples for non-sense names:
Unqid
Dhlyul
Nuqar
Banu Hulyan
Addas
Karith
Maraa

and the list goes on to include most of the Aserai NPCs and towns, so my suggestion is to consider renaming the whole faction with more sensible names, I am Arabian and I can help doing that.

I understand that choosing Arabic names is a bit challenging, but this will greatly enhance the game experience.

Examples for true Arabic names used in the game:
Arwa
Hafsa
Tais
Askar
Nimir (although it should be Namir)
Banu Habbab

I think this was intentional, as every culture only losely reminds you which real world culture it's inspired by, but then it takes an artistic turn, not limited to Aserai only, majority of the personal names of every major and minor factions don't make real world sence, and i think it's ok.

I do like the sound of those names you suggested though (y)

Oh, so you say it is intended, because I felt like it is a mistake because of the cultural differences

A lot of the Khuzaitzl, Sturgian and Vlandian names are "off" as well. There are certainly real ones, but some of them are misspelled, applied to the wrong gender or nonsensical.

For what it is worth, I agree a lot of it is probably intentional, since Calradia is not our world.

I see, I hope a mod that enables you to rename the world will be available in some stage then, that would be very cool

I have no problem with made-up names, in fact I much prefer that instead of having real Islamic names in a world with (supposedly) no Islam. Seeing Hafsas and Maliks running around would be far more out of place than just made up pseudo-Arabic ones.

What I don't like however is how the names are spelled, using Qs and Ys in an attempt to make the names more "exotic", but also way more annoying to read. They might as well have put random apostrophes in there too, like all terrible fantasy writers.

Unqid -> Unkid
Dhlyul -> Duleul
Nuqar -> Nukar
Banu Hulyan -> Banu Hulean / Hulian
Addas -> Addidas Originals 84 Sports Trainer (fine)
Karith -> Karith (fine)
Maraa -> Marah

I do think the settlement names are a lot better now though, "Danustica" is miles better than "Senuzgda Castle"

I see, I hope a mod that enables you to rename the world will be available in some stage then, that would be very cool

Already available.

You can also quite easily edit the naming pool by going into Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\SandBoxCore\ModuleData and looking in the file named "spcultures.xml"

It is extremely easy and straight-forward to modify or add names.

I have no problem with made-up names, in fact I much prefer that instead of having real Islamic names in a world with (supposedly) no Islam. Seeing Hafsas and Maliks running around would be far more out of place than just made up pseudo-Arabic ones.

What I don't like however is how the names are spelled, using Qs and Ys in an attempt to make the names more "exotic", but also way more annoying to read. They might as well have put random apostrophes in there too, like all terrible fantasy writers.

Unqid -> Unkid
Dhlyul -> Duleul
Nuqar -> Nukar
Banu Hulyan -> Banu Hulean / Hulian
Addas -> Addidas Originals 84 Sports Trainer (fine)
Karith -> Karith (fine)
Maraa -> Marah

I do think the settlement names are a lot better now though, "Danustica" is miles better than "Senuzgda Castle"

They are initially Arabian names that happened to be names of some Islamic icons like Hafsa (I married her BTW, because my teenage crush name was Hafsa :xf-grin: ) , but I can agree with you that using names that are not religion related is better.

What I do is exactly what you did, I try to find the closest real name to pronounce, it is much better to feel like you are playing with real characters, but it works badly some times, like Addas, this in Arabic is written عدس which means lentil, imagine joining the army of lentil :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom