Arrow velocity and how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Outlawed

Sergeant Knight
Well, my questions is mainly about arrows and projectiles.
AFAIK projectiles in Warband maintain the same speed over distances and the speed at which they travel is set, i.e. cannot be changed.
An arrow fired would hit the target (if it hits anything) at the same speed it was launched from the bow, or at least, this is my understanding of it.

This test proves this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Si_WYEc9aQ

Is there anyway to have velocity model a real life physics equation, or are my guesses true; this stuff is hard coded in the game?

If I understood corectly, you are complaining about arrow not loosing speed after it fired, witch is wrong it looses spead due the gravity. The test: fire it straightly in the air ( up) and it will fall down. By your theory it wont.

yeo said:
If I understood corectly, you are complaining about arrow not loosing speed after it fired, witch is wrong it looses spead due the gravity. The test: fire it straightly in the air ( up) and it will fall down. By your theory it wont.

The arrows of course have drop in this game, but even that acceleration is no where close to 9.8 m/s.

He's saying that the arrows lose no horizontal speed due to friction with the air, which means an arrow hitting you from 100 yards away does as much damage as 5 yards, which is, if I may use an applicable British euphemism, bollocks.

The setting for air friction is in module.ini air_friction_arrow = 0.002
the higher you make it the sooner the arrow starts to dive.  It makes AI archers shoot short at times, looks like they don't have the logic to compensate for this fully.

yeo said:
AFAIK you are wrong, it does less damage

The video he posted shows this. Look at the life bar, it goes down nearly the same amount every hit.

And I've also noticed this in singleplayer, as I will do the same damage to a looter say 150 yards away as I will when he is right next to my horse.

othr said:
The setting for air friction is in module.ini air_friction_arrow = 0.002
the higher you make it the sooner the arrow starts to dive.  It makes AI archers shoot short at times, looks like they don't have the logic to compensate for this fully.

Yet this air_friction_arrow value does not affect damage, simply vertical drop? That makes sense in principle for the game's purposes, but in real life, air friction does not directly affect vertical drop, it simply decreases the horizontal speed of the projectile, causing it to impact the ground sooner, as the acceleration due to gravity is constant no matter how much air resistance there is.

Of course, having air friction directly slow vertical speed of a projectile, or having it slow the horizontal speed so that in impacts the ground closer to the shooter, has exactly the same effect in a video game. Really I'm just arguing technicalities.

The true issue here is that the arrow still has the same horizontal speed in M&B, and largely the same damage, regardless of the distance traveled by the arrow.

you can see damage is slowly going down. And belive me, I was an archer for 2 years. Everything till 50 meter ,with this weak modern bows, is pretty much the same

yeo said:
you can see damage is slowly going down. And belive me, I was an archer for 2 years. Everything till 50 meter ,with this weak modern bows, is pretty much the same

Perhaps it is different in MP than it is in SP, the latter being what OP's mod is doing. In SP, damage is always the same, including shots further than 50 meters/54 yards.

It does affect the damage when combined with this missile_damage_speed_power = 8.0.  I got arrow damage to be really low at long range and high at shorter ranges.  air friction at 0.06 and the above and you will see almost no damage done at ranges of 30m and above (or so), that's if you used weapon stats that I use...

othr said:
It does affect the damage when combined with this missile_damage_speed_power = 8.0.  I got arrow damage to be really low at long range and high at shorter ranges.  air friction at 0.06 and the above and you will see almost no damage done at ranges of 30m and above (or so), that's if you used weapon stats that I use...

Then it sounds like OP can have at least some sort of solution to his problem.

Ok firstly, lets talk about my issue, as pointed out by BattleofValmy:
BattleOfValmy said:
yeo said:

The arrows of course have drop in this game, but even that acceleration is no where close to 9.8 m/s.

He's saying that the arrows lose no horizontal speed due to friction with the air, which means an arrow hitting you from 100 yards away does as much damage as 5 yards, which is, if I may use an applicable British euphemism, bollocks.

This what I really mean. Horizontal velocity by the fundamental laws of physics does not decrease, in a perfect world with no air friction or wind. But in the real world, you have to account for such things and your velocity does decrease making for a not so arced arc.

yeo said:
AFAIK you are wrong, it does less damage

No, you're wrong, it does the same damage, watch the video and pause it, measure the HP bar and you will see that damage is the same.

yeo said:

Just because you did archery for 2 years proves nothing of how much you know about historical damage from long distance. Biggest disproof of your non-existent all knowing knowledge, is that during the Crusades we read scholars mention that some Crusaders were almost like pin-cushions covered in arrows when the Turks skirmished with them at a distance. In war distance and archery skill are everything. Please stop being redundant; You're arguing something wrong.

BattleOfValmy said:
othr said:

Then it sounds like OP can have at least some sort of solution to his problem.

Indeed, indeed.
Othr, any chance you can PM me the stats you used and how they affect the game per changes?

Thanks for you comments everyone.
I will update the thread upon working with othr.

Back
Top Bottom