"Arrow deflection" for two-handers in 1.4.1e

Users who are viewing this thread

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if these 'realist' fanatics also believed in flat earth nonsense in an unironic way, the internet is a big place after all.

I'm fine with it so as the window for success is small. As in both the time for deflection is small and the area protected by the deflection as well. So for example to protect the head a very small window in which block movement upward, to protect torso small movement downward, left and right arm that movement. A very small window would make it more toward a last line of defense rather then first and even then in a duel like situation.

there's a reason why bannerlord doesn't have unicorn mounts and magical healing potions
But you can carry 4 spears glued on your back, you can still use a shield even if it has 25 arrows and 16 javelins stuck in it, you can shoot a bow with mail mittens, you're able to draw a sword from you back, couch lance through unlimited amount of enemies without damaging your lance. All these things are way more unrealistic than hitting an arrow with your sword so, as i already said in another post, the realism point is nonsensical. The realism paladins should really get some informations on reality and be consistent on their requests.

Whacked by a rod of wood thats coming over 100 mphs, or get speckled by a shower of splinters.
Agree on splinters, Bannerlord's armor can't do anything against them :iamamoron:

The importance/existence of this perk is overrated. In reality the entire system is at fault for forcing "perks" into a game which doesn't need perks. Perks are always bull****, there are only two categories of perks: stat boosts which could have been achieved by just normal character growth or (magical) abilities which unlock for the character at a certain level. I'd be interested in what kind of perks people who are against arrow deflection would like to see instead of complaining, but keep in mind it has to be something exciting since it's a high tier perk.

But you can carry 4 spears glued on your back, you can still use a shield even if it has 25 arrows and 16 javelins stuck in it, you can shoot a bow with mail mittens, you're able to draw a sword from you back, couch lance through unlimited amount of enemies without damaging your lance. All these things are way more unrealistic than hitting an arrow with your sword so, as i already said in another post, the realism point is nonsensical. The realism paladins should really get some informations on reality and be consistent on their requests.

Agree on splinters, Bannerlord's armor can't do anything against them :iamamoron:
I've said it but never wanted to switch the topic into other aspects of the game so I've tried not to mention other "unrealistic" things that are part of M&B since forever.... One of the first points I've made was that it's unrealistic to demand a game to be realistic. All one can do is try to lean it more towards a simulation, but even then, it'd still contain lots of unrealistic parts.

There's also the philosophical stance where if we had flat-earthers they could start claiming that a game is unrealistic because it depicts planets as globes, which basically means that to most people what they perceive as "realistic" is just that, their own beliefs, so in theory there's nothing that is actually realistic, there are just facts and non-facts, and when you look through these lenses, no game is factual, hence all of them, even the best simulators are "unrealistic", they are simple simulacrums.

Last edited:
If we have perk system then those perks need to be interesting. The fact that atm majority of them are lackluster makes arrow deflect a really welcome feature in my book. It may be unfeasible in reality but it isn't anything that would break the game, especially considering the implementation which still makes it skill based

The whole point here is not "realism"
It's gameplay mechanics and balancing and fun to play. It doesn't need to be "realistic" in every way. It need to work in-game and with the gameplay mechanics and keep all ways of playing at around the same usefulness.
Two handed is very strong in offensive but weak against projectiles compared to shields. Advantage <-> disadvantage.

But a high level perk that gives you a CHANCE of blocking a projectile with a big weapon is maybe not "realistic" but I'd say viable, depending on balancing. It shouldn't be overpowered though.

The whole point here is not "realism"
It's gameplay mechanics and balancing and fun to play. It doesn't need to be "realistic" in every way. It need to work in-game and with the gameplay mechanics and keep all ways of playing at around the same usefulness.
Two handed is very strong in offensive but weak against projectiles compared to shields. Advantage <-> disadvantage.

But a high level perk that gives you a CHANCE of blocking a projectile with a big weapon is maybe not "realistic" but I'd say viable, depending on balancing. It shouldn't be overpowered though.
the perk isn't even working yet and this thread shows the strength of TTing some people are biased to do anyway, regardless of balancing. To me, if the perk sits on 275 skill points, it should be overpowered. If it sits under that, it should fail considerably, or, be very hard to pull off (like, skill based, similar timing to the Chamber Blocks, although I think even chamber blocks should be a tid bit easier)...

maybe something along the lines "you've learned to use your armor better,
so you grant a small arrow absortion damage."

there were tecnhiques and armor designed to deflect arrows in medieval ages depending on the
armor you wore. like f.e when wearing a frog (i believe?) helmet, you would lean your head back,
or lean forward with another type. there were also designs like f.e the gothic armor which
had "V" shaped in the torso armor which prevented the splinters from going to your neck, or
eyeslots.

i don't buy the theory that a skilled swordmaster could stop an arrow on flight. all the bow's
that i saw in the video were very light, low pound draw bows (biggest maybe 50? pounds). you can't see
an arrow, much less react, to a proper warbow of f.e 130 pounds.

Here is a warbow of 150 pounds, if you notice it it's like a tree. against a plate armour.

the splinters alone could kill you.

the video with the girl "samurai" throing an arrow in a
"swormaster" is a joke. i'm not attacking the person who uploaded, but she draws it like an
amateur, she doesn't even reach her right eyer.

Last edited:
maybe something along the lines "you've learned to use your armor better,
so you grant a small arrow absortion damage."

there were tecnhiques and armor designed to deflect arrows in medieval ages depending on the
armor you wore. like f.e when wearing a frog (i believe?) helmet, you would lean your head back,
or lean forward with another type. there were also designs like f.e the gothic armor which
had "V" shaped in the torso armor which prevented the splinters from going to your neck, or
eyeslots.

i don't buy the theory that a skilled swordmaster could stop an arrow on flight. all the bow's
that i saw in the video were very light, low pound draw bows (biggest maybe 50? pounds). you can't see

Here is a warbow of 150 pounds, if you notice it it's like a tree. against a plate armour.

the splinters alone could kill you.

the video with the girl "samurai" throing an arrow in a
"swormaster" is a joke. i'm not attacking the person or person, but she draws it like an
amateur, she doesn't even reach her eyer.

people who shot this kind of bow (in the vid etc.) were rare, and the period reflected in BL is at least 200 years earlier than that bow technology ever appeared. Think about it xD

Again, it's possible, but really risky and difficult, not everyone would be able to do it, but some would, and not very reliably. You underestimate what a trained person can or cannot do by guesswork and "I thinks"

people who shot this kind of bow (in the vid etc.) were rare, and the period reflected in BL is at least 200 years earlier than that bow technology ever appeared. Think about it xD

Again, it's possible, but really risky and difficult, not everyone would be able to do it, but some would, and not very reliably. You underestimate what a trained person can or cannot do by guesswork and "I thinks"

maybe it was rare to draw a 200 pound bow, but in this example he draws a 160 lb bow.
the average from my knowledge of medieval history is about 130 give ir take, which are
massive bows. now, we don't have examples of the draw weight of certain cultures,
as they couldn't measure them, and none survived. history is written by pieces, that in parallel
with drawings, little pieces of artifact, some script, may indicate what was plausible and what not.

the "i thinks" are very important in history, it helps you understand what happened in the past
depending on evidence. if new evidence come to light then history rewrites in order to fit them.

we know that even in 300 bc, the draw weight of some bows were a ble to penetrate riveted male,
the same armor knights wore in 1300. there are TONS of historical references of bows and their
effectiveness, but we DON'T have actual bows of any era until medieval ages*. timber does not
last enough time. so there is no evidence to say how powerfull bows were, but we can know
that there were bows of at least 100 lbs power draw in antiquity.

they guy that shoots in the vid, would be what archers on any army would do, train.

*and that was pure luck

Last edited:
maybe it was rare to draw a 200 pound bow, but in this example he draws a 160 lb bow.
the average from my knowledge of medieval history is about 130 give ir take, which are
massive bows. now, we don't have examples of the draw weight of certain cultures,
as they couldn't measure them, and none survived. history is written by pieces, that in parallel
with drawings, little pieces of artifact, some script, may indicate what was plausible and what not.

the "i thinks" are very important in history, it helps you understand what happened in the past
depending on evidence. if new evidence come to light then history rewrites in order to fit them.

we know that even in 300 bc, the draw weight of some bows were a ble to penetrate riveted male,
the same armor knights wore in 1300. there are TONS of historical references of bows and their
effectiveness, but we DON'T have actual bows of any era until medieval ages*. timber does not
last enough time. so there is no evidence to say how powerfull bows were, but we can know
that there were bows of at least 100 lbs power draw in antiquity.

they guy that shoots in the vid, would be what archers on any army would do, train.

*and that was pure luck
yes, but you cannot know these things if you yourself don't try to do them. That's why most historians in the past would state complete fallacies when dealing with military subject... Only those trained today have some idea, to have the complete picture one would've had to train like they did and test things. No wonder why that Lars Andersen guy managed to basically reveal that most of what was believed to be "historical archery" was bonkers, he proved multiple manuscripts stating things that historians considered flair or lies to be actually true... And that was only done once, by him. If we wanna test "arrow deflection" it can be tested, but it would take someone with practical training on it, and that alone could take some years.

I believe they did, but not all, hence Armor would do most of the job while they'd probably have multiple techniques to avoid getting hit into the gaps, which probably included "deflecting them" with anything you could, from a sword to gauntlet, etc. Btw, the reflexes of martial artists are quite superior than the average, so it's really difficult to give a definitive answer until an Athlete tries it. I was an Athlete but now I'm some chubby smoking coach potato, I know the limit of my body in shape but as a young guy, and I believe that I could have the reflexes to pull that off but I'd need to train like a condemned idiot to do so. This "reflexes" thing, though, doesn't go away, I can actually pickup flies mid-flight sometimes.

Last edited:

You don't have to.There's already a physical basis for projectile interception. That is, we expect a physical object to be acted upon by other physical objects. Then if we reasonably interpret the skill description, it becomes irrelevant whether we observe modern swordsmen accomplish this since it requires both human timing and execution to reliably use it. And guess what? Most people suck at predicting high speed projectiles. Go in game and try timing your block switch with an arrow shot.

If you truly believe it's unfeasible, then this skill implementation doesn't even deny that. Its just giving a physical basis for what we already observe. One may even conclude lacking this mechanic is unrealistic because arrows phase through swords.

Problem lies with the speed of the arrows and our reaction time, I linked some test further back in this thread. We would need a good distance to the arrows or low arrow speed from release. But then again seeing as the attack speed has been buffed maybe we can do it with our eyes closed.

I wrote earlier I am all for 2h perk deflecting. At least in battle, we can pretend our warrior has found the flow of battle and is in the zone, so he can guess where the arrow will hit (our subconscious brain gathers all available information and examines it for the best course of action. Science!).

Back
Top Bottom