Armoured cav perks

Users who are viewing this thread

I think there are some distinct balancing issues with regard to heavy cav, namely their armour values particularly with regard to the horse armour. In all factions except Battania, the horse can get close to 50 armour (45-49) whilst the rider gets 32-50. This creates an extremely tanky unit with little equal - in Vlandia, Khuzait, and Azerai this is more than the infantry. The Vlandian Knight rider is tied for the best armour in the game, with only the Empire Legionary matching it, and the Knight gets an entire horse with 49 armour on top.

The slight extra expense for these units, in my view, does not account for the huge extra utility and tankyness you gain by taking them. Further, there seems to be little downside - in most cases, the overall speed of the horse is either the same or only slightly less than the unarmoured horses either in the lower tier class, or via different perks. It would seem intuitive to me that a very armoured horse would be much slower and so vulnerable on the battlefield, but able to tank damage and knock down enemies, whilst a fast and lightly armoured horse would be better at hit and runs and repositioning. Instead, what we have is a straight upgrade with only slightly more cost.

There is also the extra utility inherent to cav to take into account, namely:

-being able to move across the battlefield quickly and help multiple fights/capture flags
-couched damage instakills, full speed stabs can often 1 shot or do over 50% health damage, and gets a bonus vs armour, stabs can be spammed
-knocking down enemies
-horse hitpoints effectively add to your own healthpool unless the rider is specifically targeted, primarily only ranged units can do this consistently (exception here currently is that it is extremely easy to hit the rider's legs by accident and do heavy damage - this sort of "balances" things, but I don't think it's good gameplay)

All this for an extra 40-50 gold.

From a purely stats-perspective and from a gameplay mechanics perspective, cav currently outclasses every other class on the field, and is a very forgiving class overall due to the shorter window for rearing with a spear and no punishment for riding into walls or friendly units (often just moving them out the way which is disruptive to them).

IMO cav needs to be rebalanced from the ground up - how armour buffs it as a unit is extreme, and how it plays mechanically is too influential for its cost.

Adjustments to Cavalry is a hot topic, it is on our radar.
nice, does light cav get buffed? So players can pick 2 times light cav, without just delivering kills to the enemy. Because at the moment cav mains are forced to play other classes, after picking heavy cav.

Adjustments to Cavalry is a hot topic, it is on our radar.

One thing I left out of my post is that this problem only really became apparent after the 2 perks option was implemented, as that gave all heavy cav the option of an armoured class.

Cav was still problematic before, but less so.

I think a potential solution for cav problems currently plaguing MP is giving spears more of a bonus against them. That way you have more of an incentive of picking up a spear as a heavy infantry unit and actually threatening cav unlike right now. I think it's really ridiculous that you can only rear cav by stabbing them in the front with a spear, it needs to be more devastating in my opinion. I also think the speed/frequency in which cav can knock over units is way too high right now. Anyhow I agree with OP that there are heaps of things they can do to nerf cavalry in it's current state, but I would prefer the devs to take a look at spears in regards to cav.

I think a potential solution for cav problems currently plaguing MP is giving spears more of a bonus against them. That way you have more of an incentive of picking up a spear as a heavy infantry unit and actually threatening cav unlike right now. I think it's really ridiculous that you can only rear cav by stabbing them in the front with a spear, it needs to be more devastating in my opinion. I also think the speed/frequency in which cav can knock over units is way too high right now. Anyhow I agree with OP that there are heaps of things they can do to nerf cavalry in it's current state, but I would prefer the devs to take a look at spears in regards to cav.

these are probably the main issues
  • tweaking spear damage against cav would be a good idea in theory
    • damage should only be increase against heavy horses
    • light cav is already 2-3 hit by spear? Otherwise it will nerf them just more than they already are
    • so in the end an armor decrease from heavy horses might just be the perfect fix in the end
  • the knockdown on infantry its far too easy and last far too long
  • couching aswell needs a cooldown or some kind of restraint
    • bump couching needs to be fixed aswell
  • lances attack to fast (just compare the speed to warband)
    • this will give spears a better place in the game
  • cav can instantly block after getting dismounted(didnt check yet if this is good now)
  • light cav needs a shield and a decent ranged spear/lance
    • this will indirect nerf heavy cav
    • might put archers even in a worse spot than they are right now
  • dismounted cav needs less armor, but more ms (they feel like cripples when dismounted)
    • this might room for dragoons aswell

these are probably the main issues
  • tweaking spear damage against cav would be a good idea in theory
    • damage should only be increase against heavy horses
    • light cav is already 2-3 hit by spear? Otherwise it will nerf them just more than they already are
    • so in the end an armor decrease from heavy horses might just be the perfect fix in the end
  • the knockdown on infantry its far too easy and last far too long
  • couching aswell needs a cooldown or some kind of restraint
    • bump couching needs to be fixed aswell
  • lances attack to fast (just compare the speed to warband)
    • this will give spears a better place in the game
  • cav can instantly block after getting dismounted(didnt check yet if this is good now)
  • light cav needs a shield and a decent ranged spear/lance
    • this will indirect nerf heavy cav
    • might put archers even in a worse spot than they are right now
  • dismounted cav needs less armor, but more ms (they feel like cripples when dismounted)
    • this might room for dragoons aswell

Blocking after getting dismounted is fine with me as long as it still takes soooo long to get back up.

Spears should be able to stop cavalry slightly more reliably, as well as do more damage to heavy cav (I think I'd agree that an armor decrease for heavy horses is probably the best option here, seeing as the lighter, less armored horses already are fairly weak).

Agreed with pretty much everything else.

Blocking after getting dismounted is fine with me as long as it still takes soooo long to get back up.

Spears should be able to stop cavalry slightly more reliably, as well as do more damage to heavy cav (I think I'd agree that an armor decrease for heavy horses is probably the best option here, seeing as the lighter, less armored horses already are fairly weak).

Agreed with pretty much everything else.
dismounted cav could instant block (most of the times they fly too far away anyways to hit them while they are still down.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom