Armour protection data

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't know wether it was already discussed here before. I would like to argue about the different armours, especially the better ones. They have a too low protection value in my opinion. That is a problem of M&B and all its mods at a whole. Weapons make much too much damage to better armour. It is necessary to make armour not too strong in normal M&B because nearly everybody wear it in abundance and fights were too long had better armour better values. In Brytenwalda I see the chance to make more distinctions between the armour sets, because a lot of people wear no or low range armour (historically correct and a good feature).

I would like to make the better armour, mail and scale, much more expensive, more seldom and much more protective. Same for metall helmets. The rusty or broken species of metall armour could remain at the given stats, but the "new" ones should be more protective, not in the range of 40 to 50 but about 70 (or more?). Otherwise the extreme value and very high cost of mail in the early medieval period (before the invention of sophisticated wire producing technologies in the high medieval period) is not shown correctly. Scale should be a bit under the mail value.

Helmets should vary in protection quality more consideraby. It's all a matter of the individual construction and production process. We see it in the old sagas and tales, sometimes helmets were broken with a hit, sometimes helmets, wenn well done, were very protective. Make the better helmets very expensive and very protective, f.e. a broken Goidelic helmet should remain as it is, a new one should cost 5 times as much or so and be in the 70 oder 80 area.

The high armour protection data in Brytenwalda would be not so much of a problem because axes make piercing damage. I would however restrict piercing damage to twohanded axes.

I have wolf lorica and golden helm, and only few guys can take me down or cause proper damage. axes and longswords are only weapons that cause damage. It really doesnt matter what eguipments you have when someone hits axe in your chest its going to do damage. Armour protection is not so important than shield and dodging hits. So i think stat system in brytenwalda works well. If the armour stats were higher i fear elite troops would be like immortals.

Hm, I haven't tried the heavy armor yet because it kills my power strike, but still, the protection value of that over a nice medium armor doesn't seem like a big difference... I think with a good cloak the difference is from 50 body to 70 body. Does that 20 make a very big difference? Because I'm still getting hit with javs for 20 damage, though arrows often do single digit damage.

Back
Top Bottom