Armor/weapon looks potato in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

chillboy

Regular
How come the armor/weapon looks so bad in the field?

All armor/weapon looks cool in the Character page, but once in the field, all of them look so bad.

Other than this, previous version characters are inclined to be kinda fat, however in 1.20 all characters look way too thin, it feels weak...

How come? I'm on no-limit setting.

I could be because battles take place outside and therefore only have 1 lightsource, where as the character screen is probably set up with the optimal amount of lighting to make your character look as cool as possible.

I don't pay that much attention to how my armor or soldiers look in the field but I haven't noticed much of a difference, could you post a screen maybe? Would be interesting to directly compare.

I don't pay that much attention to how my armor or soldiers look in the field but I haven't noticed much of a difference, could you post a screen maybe? Would be interesting to directly compare.
Somehow the forum is not letting me insert any link or image..

Cool looking:
equvmVH.jpg

Potato looking:
yjGeMmX.jpg

qFNqm7g.jpg

It's kinda weird because in character page it looks like my character has decent body size, but in the field, he looks way too thin like two images don't jibe with each other, I really hope they can add a new feature supporting customizing the body weight/size in the future update, and fix or at least improve the looking in the field.

Last edited:
Ah yes I see, it looks like a lighting related issue judging from how matte the colors are and it seems like there is no armor reflection of any sort.
I agree, and you can also notice the difference of the positioning of shoulder armor, it looks unnatural at all in the field.

It's definitely the lighting. Find a nice spot where the light shines upon your armor and it will looks much prettier.
You're right, but still I think they should improve the armor looking in the field.

You're right, but still I think they should improve the armor looking in the field.
Honestly I rarely look at my armor cause I play a lot in 1. person during battles but I guess it won't hurt. Also good catch on the shoulder armor placement, I've never noticed that!

odd maybe they have a lower poly model or whatever for field battles, but that wouldn't really make sense unless it was for performance reasons and even then it would be a lot of work to make doubles of everything..

I dont think it's the poly issue, they probably make a low res version of the reflection map for armors and weapons. It would explain the potato lighting for the armor in the picture.

its purely just lighting. You are standing in the shade (or i should say ''cloud'' or terrain is covering the sun which diffuses any light coming onto the objects and it makes everything look bland and flat.

Attached image is an actual photo. Sometimes lighting conditions are less than perfect and don't expect every screenshot to be on par with Rembrandt painting.

The lack of direct light from the sun doesn't mean that the lighting have to be flat and dull

Except it is flat and dull apart from heavily reflective objects.Quality could be increased slightly with atmospheric effects but that's about it. Game devs in general try to avoid anything heavily reflective as it would kill performance.

point still stands. studio lighting setup will always triumph over the one which he uploaded which is prob is the worst possible lighting scenario.

The lack of direct light from the sun doesn't mean that the lighting have to be flat and dull

The picture looks pretty flat and dull though.

On the other hand photography is probably the worst possible example to show lighting, it mostly depends on the camera and the abilities of the photographer.

Try posting a Bob Ross painting instead. ?

The picture looks pretty flat and dull though.

On the other hand photography is probably the worst possible example to show lighting, it mostly depends on the camera and the abilities of the photographer.

Try posting a Bob Ross painting instead. ?
Again we are taking into consideration the lighting on metal surfaces, not the whole scene.
I don't get your joke, I don't understand why a photography have to be worst example, do you think a video of the same scene would be any different? My picture have similiar lighting and time of the day of the game's screenshots.
For me that's just flat lighting downgraded for performance, if you like it I'm happy for you.

Back
Top Bottom