SP - Battles & Sieges Armor Properties

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
One thing that constantly has been a topic, but never gets resolved is proper armor protection. I use to make armor and quickly learned to respect its properties strengths and weaknesses. I think TW if they looked at these ideas they could come up with a solid armor system for Bannerlord.

Armors:

Helmets - Solid iron helms should prevent crit damage that you normally receive not wearing a helmet. Yes you would still receive damage, just not the bonus for being a crit with the exception to the perks that grants extra head damage. It would actually make those perks useful as of now they are completely useless perks.

Mail - Swords should have a disadvantage against mail armor, you usually don't cut through mail but still receive some blunt force trauma which can be minimized with a gambeson. That said mail should not give much protection against blunt or pierce damage.

Cloth - Swords should act like the piercer perk (crossbow tree) on cloth armors below a certain armor value. Padded armor should give a bit more protection against blunt and pierce type weapons.

Damage Type:

Slash - Strong vs cloth and weak against mail
Blunt - Weak against cloth and strong against mail
Pierce - strong vs cloth and mail and weak vs coat of plates and lamellar type of armors

Armor Values:

Armor values need at least a 50% value increase maybe more based on the current weapon values and base hp stats. I have tested values up to plus 100% and the battles were epic, but brought to light the collision issues that need to be addressed at some point. Currently you really don't notice it because the battle is over so fast you don't really have much time to observe.

Just my thoughts from testing and past experience.

Last edited:
Nice post. hopefully the Armour system gets some work. The Realistic battle mod really shows how much some tweaking can add to depth of gameplay.

Sounds like a cool mod, however mods get out dated rather quickly and abondoded. This is something the devs should look into addressing because armor is not working very well in its current state. Armor in this game is like taking a brown paper bag with arm holes cut in it and calling it a breast plate. Litterly you are better off with numbers than quilty in the current state of the game.

Sounds like a cool mod, however mods get out dated rather quickly and abondoded. This is something the devs should look into addressing because armor is not working very well in its current state. Armor in this game is like taking a brown paper bag with arm holes cut in it and calling it a breast plate. Litterly you are better off with numbers than quilty in the current state of the game.
Armor is definitely not strong enough, and should be improved, probably doubled effectiveness at every point level.

Armor is definitely not strong enough, and should be improved, probably doubled effectiveness at every point level.

I have tested increasing every armor piece by x 2 and it made for some really interesting results, the Imperial legionnaires became absolute beast and range was much better balanced. They were still important, but not as OP as currently. Also I like the longer battles as it gave time for tactics and moving troops around to the flank or rear was more important. The best head armor was around 100-104 and weren't taken out by a head shot. That said a good helmet should negate the extra crit damage, helmets work and why they are used to this day in the military and as a safety device in construction.

I have tested increasing every armor piece by x 2 and it made for some really interesting results, the Imperial legionnaires became absolute beast and range was much better balanced. They were still important, but not as OP as currently. Also I like the longer battles as it gave time for tactics and moving troops around to the flank or rear was more important. The best head armor was around 100-104 and weren't taken out by a head shot. That said a good helmet should negate the extra crit damage, helmets work and why they are used to this day in the military and as a safety device in construction.
Very interesting! Thanks for your tests! Hmm, so you were still taking damage at over 100 armor? That is a very good thing, I think: it means a linear progression rather than some quadratic function. My statement "twice as effective" was based on some unknown quadratic.

Sounds like maybe 1.75x-2x armor value is 'more right'. I think that helmets, as you allude to, should all be much stronger.

JOINT HURTBOXES and ARMOR HURTBOXES: an armor system that provide a way to balance factions warfare and make more deep the combat system(suggestions)
I wrote, quite a while ago, a thread where your suggestions are part of it.
I suggest a more radical change of the system, such as to make it realistic, immersive and more useful and profound to the gameplay.
There is a suggested mechanic I called "helmets fly away" that does what you suggest, but with a few additions.
If you are interested click on the link above which refers to the thread.

quick mod to apply multiplier to armor defense value

Back
Top Bottom