Armor lack of effectiveness Devs should consider

Users who are viewing this thread

merely playing the game for a while validates them.
Except, x/bows are fine. They work fine.

everyone with them having "garbage opinion"
Except, infantry is fine. They work fine.
If you view it that way, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current game across any of their half-baked features
My guy, this thread started about armor, which got improved, and is now about x/bows, which are fine. I have no issue discussing problems with BL, but this forum is full of people complaining about the wrong things. I'm not in threads saying "AI is fine".

My guy, this thread started about armor, which got improved, and is now about x/bows, which are fine. I have no issue discussing problems with BL, but this forum is full of people complaining about the wrong things. I'm not in threads saying "AI is fine".
Can't have a discussion about sandwiches without talking about the bread. A change to the efficacy of armor has a direct impact on the efficacy of weapons, and thus (cross)bows. If armor was improved but some people still experience issues with certain weapon groups, then it's possible that those weapon groups are still overtuned and the degree is simply more noticeable now that other weapon groups are sufficiently addressed by the armor change. If everything is an outlier, then nothing is an outlier. When many data points are adjusted and a trend is discernable, then outliers become discernable, too.

That's your 'garbage opinion'. Some people (many - given this thread comes back to the top constantly - as do many other unfixed 'garbage opinions') are still not satisfied with the improvements that have been made to date.
Tell me, what is your definition of 'fine' in these cases with infantry and xbows (topic currently is archers not them) as it seems you have different standards - whilst opposing everyone else's level of standard as 'garbage' but not clarifying yours except grabbing excerpts left-right-centre and practically flame-baiting via a single sentence.

Sadly there are none that fit the bill right. And sadly, you're right. I feel the same man. "Warbandlord" came close to what we ask for, but it's still not right. People basically ask for Warband's balance in Bannerlord. I say the game is unbalanced, should have been balanced right through beta but it wasn't and we have "full release" beta with some guys that defend it with "realism" explanation who just mistaken woefully unbalanced game for realistic approach and grown acustomed to it. Like, is the jedi stuff of deflecting arrows with 2handed sword real? Or ladies with no combat skills at all leading parties just so there are more fielded soldiers, in middle ages where ladies surely didn't do that on daily basis? Lacking health issues from constant injuries player receives? Or the fact that I just took down a banner knight in his heavy armor with 2 shots from mid-tier steppe war bow? All of that is realistic about as my chances of finding a decent girlfriend. And judging by Taleworms policy of "don't say sh*t, release tiny patch fixing great game" it's not gonna happen.
I mean you have mods for just about everything your asking for.

You mean like this?
I'm reading this as a 1 for 1 quip of this exchange and nothing more, I think you guys have escalated it by dog piling @nyarlathotep1975 a bit.
_Q_ha.png

I'm still waiting for someone to actually make the point that archers "need" to be nerfed. It's all f*cking opinion.
Yeah it more like a list of annoyances then a need.
I guess I prefer to start with the desired result, what should the gameplay be like?
Want infantry to perform better against archers? Make them hold their shields while they run and not bob and fidget so much. Add the group targeting system so they don't turn around an expose themselves while moving to attack.
Want Cavalry to perform better against archers (and anything)? Make them land their hits constantly so they kill the target. Add the group targeting. Currently they miss and then dwadle around getting shot. It's somehow better to but them in SW and just move them through enemies then to order an attack.
For both: adjusting or limiting the speed boost to arrows and bolts would help, because as is, non-ranged are always taking boosted damage when moving towards ranged. The speed boost damage also makes it hard to accurately control how much damage tiers of troops can do and is often while we see "X defeated by recruit". I think this happens too much.
Want the AI to be more challenging? It needs to not attack and defend in such a rigid and linear way. As long as you can easily flank and surround the AI, it has no chance. Even if archers needed 70 shots to kill a unit, with the current AI you could just walk 50 ranged on each side and sit thier and kill 100 units anyways.
Are enemy archers too good/annoying? Yes sometimes they are. I feel like low tier archers shoot too fast and too accurately. I actually think tier 4-6 are FINE but it the t2-3 that need to be a little weaker. And it is a feeling: I don't like the experience of 2t/3 militia archers being able to shoot me in the face as quickly and easily (or more) then I can them at a 200+ bow skill with the best bow in the game. It just doesn't feel right that what to me is a tiny spec that takes trial and error to hit, is just automatically achieved by low tier units.
Want every troop to be needed in the party? They need additional utilities and uses besides "do damage, number go down". As is, there's just no reason not to save infantry for the garrisons because everything they do can be provided by "more archers", even cavalry makes better infantry by being able to move across the map faster (and map speed). Give me another reason to need 20% infantry. Also T6 infantry because the medicine scales with tier.
Is armor too weak: I like to describe it as "everything does too much damage" as as I've said I blame speed boosted damage as the top problem. Sure, more armor could be added but it's just a band aid for not controlling the damage sources.
I don't like nerfing archers in general because I think SOME troops need to feel good to play with and be effective and don't think infantry and cavalry is.
Both need ranged support to be effective at all so just nerfing ranged makes them suck more too and then the whole thing just takes longer, wastes more troops and requires more menu actions in between. I would much prefer improving AI (and adding group targeting) and Inf nad Cav.
Sure AI can be improved as well, but even if AI was perfect, ranged would still outperform melee because they both do the same damage but one does it at a distance. Armour changes are absolutely necessary.
If they could use their shields and not expose themselves (better AI) and move around and not let themselves be effortlessly flanked and surrounded (or kited) they could out last arrows and if they could actually fight better depending on skill/tier/loadout (AI) they should be mopping the floor with archers. Now, is that going to happen...... hmmmm......
To me AI improvments (and skill effects too) means a more enjoyable gameplay and also will make using Infantry and cavalry more enjoyable.
Adding armor just makes the battle take a little longer and doesn't change anything about the gameplay or the enjoyment of using different troops. They will still be too cumbersome and awkward to position and un reliable on attack.
Sure, I might like to ram 100 heavy axe men into everything sometimes and it would improve this.
I guess Armor changes probably are a good idea, but I think there's many more important parts to the same problem of "too much damage" "troop diversity not needed" "Infantry and cavalry do dum things all the time" and on and on. I don't want TW to just do more bandaids.
So I guess it's more I won't care if they add/change armor because it won't effect anything I care about in battles. It's not "oh no the cavalry can only take 6 arrows not 8" it's "the cavalry didn't hit the guy with his lance", it not "oh the archers will do too much damage to my infantry" it's "it takes too long to move their butts across the map I'll just move cavalry and make them dismount on the archers YOLO".

I'm reading this as a 1 for 1 quip of this exchange and nothing more, I think you guys have escalated it by dog piling @nyarlathotep1975 a bit.
TBH, I think he escalated it with the unnecessary bristling attitude but leave it at that - a decision was made.
Yeah it more like a list of annoyances then a need.
I guess I prefer to start with the desired result, what should the gameplay be like?
Want infantry to perform better against archers? Make them hold their shields while they run and not bob and fidget so much. Add the group targeting system so they don't turn around an expose themselves while moving to attack.
Want Cavalry to perform better against archers (and anything)? Make them land their hits constantly so they kill the target. Add the group targeting. Currently they miss and then dwadle around getting shot. It's somehow better to but them in SW and just move them through enemies then to order an attack.
For both: adjusting or limiting the speed boost to arrows and bolts would help, because as is, non-ranged are always taking boosted damage when moving towards ranged. The speed boost damage also makes it hard to accurately control how much damage tiers of troops can do and is often while we see "X defeated by recruit". I think this happens too much.
Want the AI to be more challenging? It needs to not attack and defend in such a rigid and linear way. As long as you can easily flank and surround the AI, it has no chance. Even if archers needed 70 shots to kill a unit, with the current AI you could just walk 50 ranged on each side and sit thier and kill 100 units anyways.
Are enemy archers too good/annoying? Yes sometimes they are. I feel like low tier archers shoot too fast and too accurately. I actually think tier 4-6 are FINE but it the t2-3 that need to be a little weaker. And it is a feeling: I don't like the experience of 2t/3 militia archers being able to shoot me in the face as quickly and easily (or more) then I can them at a 200+ bow skill with the best bow in the game. It just doesn't feel right that what to me is a tiny spec that takes trial and error to hit, is just automatically achieved by low tier units.
Want every troop to be needed in the party? They need additional utilities and uses besides "do damage, number go down". As is, there's just no reason not to save infantry for the garrisons because everything they do can be provided by "more archers", even cavalry makes better infantry by being able to move across the map faster (and map speed). Give me another reason to need 20% infantry. Also T6 infantry because the medicine scales with tier.
Is armor too weak: I like to describe it as "everything does too much damage" as as I've said I blame speed boosted damage as the top problem. Sure, more armor could be added but it's just a band aid for not controlling the damage sources.
I don't like nerfing archers in general because I think SOME troops need to feel good to play with and be effective and don't think infantry and cavalry is.
Both need ranged support to be effective at all so just nerfing ranged makes them suck more too and then the whole thing just takes longer, wastes more troops and requires more menu actions in between. I would much prefer improving AI (and adding group targeting) and Inf nad Cav.

If they could use their shields and not expose themselves (better AI) and move around and not let themselves be effortlessly flanked and surrounded (or kited) they could out last arrows and if they could actually fight better depending on skill/tier/loadout (AI) they should be mopping the floor with archers. Now, is that going to happen...... hmmmm......
To me AI improvments (and skill effects too) means a more enjoyable gameplay and also will make using Infantry and cavalry more enjoyable.
Adding armor just makes the battle take a little longer and doesn't change anything about the gameplay or the enjoyment of using different troops. They will still be too cumbersome and awkward to position and un reliable on attack.
Sure, I might like to ram 100 heavy axe men into everything sometimes and it would improve this.
I guess Armor changes probably are a good idea, but I think there's many more important parts to the same problem of "too much damage" "troop diversity not needed" "Infantry and cavalry do dum things all the time" and on and on. I don't want TW to just do more bandaids.
So I guess it's more I won't care if they add/change armor because it won't effect anything I care about in battles. It's not "oh no the cavalry can only take 6 arrows not 8" it's "the cavalry didn't hit the guy with his lance", it not "oh the archers will do too much damage to my infantry" it's "it takes too long to move their butts across the map I'll just move cavalry and make them dismount on the archers YOLO".
They may be considered as annoyances, a problem/issue, or not for some. But based on @mujadaddy parameters, even all you just suggested is considered 'garbage opinion/whining' since infantry and archers are fine; just mod it to prove otherwise we shouldn't care for your perspective.

TBH, I think he escalated it with the unnecessary bristling attitude but leave it at that - a decision was made.

They may be considered as annoyances, a problem/issue, or not for some. But based on @mujadaddy parameters, even all you just suggested is considered 'garbage opinion/whining' since infantry and archers are fine; just mod it to prove otherwise we shouldn't care for your perspective.
Yeah, I mean it is kind of just whining and whishing, we're not working on the game, we already bought the game.... I mean I could buy it for PlayStation too I guess. But at the same time it's a forum so this is what it's for and why we're here. I read this thread and others a lot and I just kind of nod because I've said my piece a lot already.

Wow a mod is on a power trip right now. No professionalism allowed here Just with that read the post caption, that is inappropriate behavior and should be timed out

Last edited:
For both: adjusting or limiting the speed boost to arrows and bolts would help, because as is, non-ranged are always taking boosted damage when moving towards ranged. Is armor too weak: I like to describe it as "everything does too much damage" as as I've said I blame speed boosted damage as the top problem.
This would be good. Could even just remove it. I don't think it makes much sense.

Speed boosted damage is not the reason that I die from 4 arrows in T4 armour against a T4 archer while both of us are standing still, though.

That is the fault of the armour providing extremely unrealistically low protection. When you balance a game around real life, it makes sense that the massively unrealistic parts would cause balance problems.
Are enemy archers too good/annoying? Yes sometimes they are. I feel like low tier archers shoot too fast and too accurately.
Low tier archers are plenty inaccurate, try standing at 30m from one sometime, once I counted af least 20 shots missed on me standing still. Accuracy is not the problem with Bannerlord's archers, it's their armour penetration.

I agree fire rate could be a little bit slower for archers though.
Buffing spears' base damage/speed and making spearmen actually use their spears will make a lot of infantry and cavalry troops more effective.
If they could use their shields and not expose themselves (better AI) and move around and not let themselves be effortlessly flanked and surrounded (or kited) they could out last arrows and if they could actually fight better depending on skill/tier/loadout (AI) they should be mopping the floor with archers. Want infantry to perform better against archers? Make them hold their shields while they run and not bob and fidget so much. Add the group targeting system so they don't turn around an expose themselves while moving to attack.
But neither of these would fix the common scenario where archers have troops in front, infantry try to attack the troops in front, and get turned into pincushions as soon as they have to drop their shields to attack.

What's going to allow them to outlast arrows in this scenario is having armour that protects them better while their shield is down.
Now, is that going to happen...... hmmmm......
And this is another thing. Getting the AI to understand complex scenarios is much harder than simply making the stats more realistic/balanced!
Which is why Warband AI also sucked, and yet archers were much more balanced because armour worked.
Adding armor just makes the battle take a little longer
Honestly I think battles could stand to be a bit longer, so there is time to do tactics.

But either way, my suggestion also includes nerfing shield HP and buffing spear damage, both of which should make battles faster, to balance out lower arrow damage making battles take longer.
I understand what you're saying, and here's my response: even if TW does the difficult thing of fixing the AI (which I support if possible), "ranged troop spam with distraction infantry" or "horse archer spam" will still be the easiest tactics that beat everything and are too easy to use.

This is why fixing armour is an absolute necessity to make Bannerlord an enjoyable, challenging tactical game on even a simple level.

Armour with shields maybe overly protective now. Infantry advancing in shieldwall formation seem invulnerable to arrows from the front - they’re just extremely slow advancing into contact. My main issue is that combat is too swift, limiting tactics. Accordingly, I’d prefer a player option to slide human hit points anywhere between the current 100 and 300, allowing everyone to fine tune how long troops and battles last to their own preferences. Simply increasing hit points should reduce the impact of damage across the board allowing troops to survive long enough for weapons skill (i.e. troop tier) to come into more prominence.

Armour with shields maybe overly protective now. Infantry advancing in shieldwall formation seem invulnerable to arrows from the front - they’re just extremely slow advancing into contact.
The problem is that a wooden shield is basically invulnerable to arrows, able to take 30+ hits, yet a person in full metal armour with padding is only able to take 4 arrows. Four.

To me it seems like basic common sense to simply make shields weaker and armour stronger. As well as more realistic.
My main issue is that combat is too swift, limiting tactics.
And if arrows' excessive damage to armour is fixed, that will tone that down slightly.
Accordingly, I’d prefer a player option to slide human hit points anywhere between the current 100 and 300, allowing everyone to fine tune how long troops and battles last to their own preferences. Simply increasing hit points should reduce the impact of damage across the board allowing troops to survive long enough for weapons skill (i.e. troop tier) to come into more prominence.
More health won't really fix a lot of the issues here. I don't think it will even necessarily let troop skill in melee become more relevant, as melee fights often tend to be the first person/s to get a hit in stunlocking the victim to death.

The problem is that a wooden shield is basically invulnerable to arrows, able to take 30+ hits, yet a person in full metal armour with padding is only able to take 4 arrows. Four.

To me it seems like basic common sense to simply make shields weaker and armour stronger. As well as more realistic.
Shield effectiveness relied upon flexibility, lamination and how it was held away from the body vs arrows, so, no meaningful comparison vs metal armour (other than the boss protecting your hand).

More health won't really fix a lot of the issues here. I don't think it will even necessarily let troop skill in melee become more relevant, as melee fights often tend to be the first person/s to get a hit in stunlocking the victim to death.
You're probably right that health alone will be insufficient, it probably needs to be coupled with a wider capsule radius to reduce the troop density in melee. That would also help players participate. I doubt we'll get AI changes that give bots a sense of self preservation, but that's also greatly needed.

Last edited:
Inappropriate behavior
some people
Some people want some things that they'll a) never get or b) didn't need.
Tell me, what is your definition of 'fine' in these cases with infantry and xbows (topic currently is archers not them)
First, I type "x/bows" not "xbows", it is inclusive of ranged weapons. Second, it doesn't seem broken to me since the Armor Up. That's what "fine" is.
Precisely. I do not see an actual problem suggested in these threads. The game is baked, and any changes are going to squeeze issues into other areas. They took 2 years of silence on armor, then they mostly fixed it with a VERY minor tweak to Blunt. This thread has a very high noise ratio.
based on @mujadaddy parameters, even all you just suggested is considered 'garbage opinion/whining'
Making the AI more effective is a good idea. Then you'd see that you don't actually need to change archers & infantry, because they're fine. <snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Shield effectiveness relied upon flexibility, lamination and how it was held away from the body vs arrows, so, no meaningful comparison vs metal armour (other than the boss protecting your hand).

As Tod's Workshop video on the same subject demonstrates though, even in the event it does protect you from many arrows poking through, a shield with lots of arrows sticking in it is extremely cumbersome, very difficult to use effectively to the point you might even just throw it away. That's what prompted this followup video:

You're probably right that health alone will be insufficient, it probably needs to be coupled with a wider capsule radius to reduce the troop density in melee. That would also help players participate. I doubt we'll get AI changes that give bots a sense of self preservation, but that's also greatly needed.
Why is it that you'd be willing to make many changes but not to make shields a bit less protective and armour a bit more protective? What's the issue with those?

I dunno, Warbandlord or something but I think you don't like that.
I tried that one, but it's not as it should be, damage gets out of whack later on (I was able to take on 1vs80 because my noble shortbow 1shot everyone). Armor was better there, up to a point it resembled old Warband. Thing is, there aren't other mods that would try to approach Warband's balance other than Warbandlord, RBM makes armors too protective, I also tried playing with 3/4 or 1/2 damage mod, 3/4 isn't very noticeable while 1/2 makes people too beefy.. Combat has to be fluent, enjoyable, not 2 guys beating each other senseless till one finally drops. It has become official bandaid to send people to mods in M&B community when basic game is lacking, but there aren't mods for what we need.

Why is it that you'd be willing to make many changes but not to make shields a bit less protective and armour a bit more protective? What's the issue with those?
I agree shields are overly protective, however, armour protection has improved. There’s still scope for more improvement but it’s not now as critical as it was IMO. BTW I’ve never liked shields breaking however realistic.

Back
Top Bottom