Armor lack of effectiveness Devs should consider

Users who are viewing this thread

That is manifestly untrue. Heavy armor (50+) makes you nigh-invulnerable to trash mobs while on horseback. I can miscalculate and "bounce off" at almost any angle.
That might be true if you consider only cutting damage, especially after they reworked it a few patches ago, but for pierce and blunt damage the diference of mail armor and lamellar armor is minimal. At least that was how it felt the last time i played, on v1.1.0. Has something changed since than?

All that to say i think they should first work to make the AI more effective in using the game mechanics already implemented and just than start messing with tweaking the specific numbers.
Changing the numbers is an obvious and easy choice which will have immediate positive results. Fixing the AI is a far more complicated task which should be done too, but will not fully solve the imbalance of ranged units until their ridiculous armour penetration is fixed.

Look at the blunt damage fixes. Would anyone really say that TW should undo those changes until the AI is fixed? Of course not. The blunt damage to armour changes have enormously improved the game; fixing pierce damage will have a similar effect.
Yeah, the player is the thing which does the thing which does well.
What's the point of this distinction? The player is doing something which is really really easy to do and gets amazing results, yes. I would like the game's tactics to require more effort from the player to get the best results.
You're right about the 'ranged revelation' being minor stuff, of course; but I still see the issue being a One-AI-For-All-Situations problem.
Even if TW actually managed to pull that off, and the AI used a wide variety of tactics, their melee troops would still need to get in melee range and drop their shields to fight, making them vulnerable to bows, and that would still make "10% melee 90% ranged" or "100% horse archer on follow" strategies dominant while archers can easily mow down any same tier melee unit who doesn't have a shield up.

Until the unrealistically powerful armour penetrating bows are fixed, or some other unrealistic thing is introduced to counter them, archers will always be OP, because they have the equivalent of a gun in a knife fight.
I'd love to see each leader have their own forces utilize separate AI in the big battles, rather than the modern-style OOB the AI uses.
Would be a good job for the personality traits system, something TW originally claimed would happen (eg Cautious lords would use cautious tactics).
But not to infinity. 50 looters will beat 15 low-tier archers every time.
Which tier?
I will freely admit that we're chasing tiny percentages, though, which is why I state that a mod to your vision should be made. I think you'd find you're still complaining, and about the AI :smile:
The AI is also worth complaining about, but armour needs to be fixed regardless. Severe imbalances are not things that mods are supposed to fix. Mods are for expanding a base game, not fixing it.

Changing the numbers is an obvious and easy choice which will have immediate positive results. Fixing the AI is a far more complicated task which should be done too, but will not fully solve the imbalance of ranged units until their ridiculous armour penetration is fixed.

Look at the blunt damage fixes. Would anyone really say that TW should undo those changes until the AI is fixed? Of course not. The blunt damage to armour changes have enormously improved the game; fixing pierce damage will have a similar effect.
There are many ways to "balance" the gameplay for archers, not only nerfing them, like making archers start at rank 3 or making them cost more or being more difficult to find, making some arrows have cutting damage for lower tier, etc. Changing numbers and hoping for the best seems to be TW strat at this point and we all know where it took the game for the last 2 years, that's why i believe they should focus on fixing the AI and ,only when they are happy with how units behave, start to balance damage output for troops. When infantry is able to hold the shield up and point it to the right direction while cavalry does a hit and run tactic the right way without missing half of their thrusts you will notice archers are not viable to employ on their on. I do agree armor has to be reworked, but that has to do with how little difference in survivability a high tier plate armor gives you compared to a medium tier chain armor. The idea of not only locational damage, but locational armor values(like the RBM mod is implementing) is something i really would like to see in the game, it is very rewarding to hit that pesky highly armored noble with a lance to the face.

There are many ways to "balance" the gameplay for archers, not only nerfing them, like making archers start at rank 3 or making them cost more or being more difficult to find, making some arrows have cutting damage for lower tier, etc.
I think those solutions needlessly detract from the immersion of the game - archers weren't rare in real life, and the arrows they shot usually pierced rather than cut. The more obvious solution is to just balance armour protection against pierce like TW did with blunt, which will make the game both more balanced and more immersive. Warband has already shown that more protective armour successfully balances archers even when Warband's AI was often just as bad as Bannerlord's.
Changing numbers and hoping for the best seems to be TW strat at this point and we all know where it took the game for the last 2 years, that's why i believe they should focus on fixing the AI and ,only when they are happy with how units behave, start to balance damage output for troops.
The blunt damage number changes made the game much better though! Suddenly looters and basic low tier troops weren't able to easily murder the player in high tier armour, and I saw a lot of players giving positive feedback about that. So I think that pierce damage number changes can do the same.

I'm not saying AI shouldn't be fixed, but I am saying armour should be balanced ASAP.
When infantry is able to hold the shield up and point it to the right direction while cavalry does a hit and run tactic the right way without missing half of their thrusts you will notice archers are not viable to employ on their on.
Read the thread so far - It's not employing on their own I'm talking about, but with 90% archers and 10% trash infantry as a distraction, parked on a hill.

Even if infantry are pointing their shield in the right direction (which honestly they already do a lot of the time), they still have to drop it to fight the trash infantry, which leaves them open for being turned into pincushions.

Even if cavalry miraculously manage to specifically target the archers and not miss their swings, then they will still have to slow down drastically to get up a hill, losing all their couch damage and leaving them open to being turned into pincushions. (This is IF they haven't already been turned into pincushions by speed boosted arrows, since arrows also get a speed damage bonus on a charging horseman).

This is why numbers changes are absolutely vital.

I think those solutions needlessly detract from the immersion of the game - archers weren't rare in real life, and the arrows they shot usually pierced rather than cut. The more obvious solution is to just balance armour protection against pierce like TW did with blunt, which will make the game both more balanced and more immersive.
I disagree. This is a game and not "real life" but if you consider the historical period it's based on (probably 6th to 9th centuries) most western armies were not as organized or professional as on later or earlier periods, and from more recent documents(100 years war) we know how important proper training for archers was. We also know that most arrow heads found from this period were broadheads and i quote:"Broadheads were used for war and are still used for hunting. Medieval broadheads could be made from steel, sometimes with hardened edges. They usually have two to four sharp blades that cause massive bleeding in the victim. Their function is to deliver a wide cutting edge so as to kill as quickly as possible. They are expensive, damage most targets, and are usually not used for practice.". They did pierce the target, as any thrusting weapon do, but the damage was by cutting and causing bleeding. Broadheads were not very effective against mail though, so when its use became more prominent the arrowheads started to change to the bodkin, which was not only better vs mail armor but also probably cheaper to make. Arrows were expensive and a logistical burden, making archers more expensive to employ than a spearman for example. They also needed more training to be effective, making them less common than said spearman, wich probably meant better pay for archers as well.
The blunt damage number changes made the game much better though! Suddenly looters and basic low tier troops weren't able to easily murder the player in high tier armour, and I saw a lot of players giving positive feedback about that. So I think that pierce damage number changes can do the same.

I'm not saying AI shouldn't be fixed, but I am saying armour should be balanced ASAP.
I agree, just saying the problem with archers has a lot more to do with AI than armor values.
Read the thread so far - It's not employing on their own I'm talking about, but with 90% archers and 10% trash infantry as a distraction, parked on a hill.

Even if infantry are pointing their shield in the right direction (which honestly they already do a lot of the time), they still have to drop it to fight the trash infantry, which leaves them open for being turned into pincushions.
That's also an AI deficiency, you as the player would not have a problem dealing with it, just deal with the archers first as the 10% trash infantry will not be enough to cover all of them.
Even if cavalry miraculously manage to specifically target the archers and not miss their swings, then they will still have to slow down drastically to get up a hill, losing all their couch damage and leaving them open to being turned into pincushions. (This is IF they haven't already been turned into pincushions by speed boosted arrows, since arrows also get a speed damage bonus on a charging horseman).
That's just the game rewarding you for positioning your troops well, archers should be an advantage when used correctly and a liability when not.

I disagree. This is a game and not "real life" but if you consider the historical period it's based on (probably 6th to 9th centuries) most western armies were not as organized or professional as on later or earlier periods, and from more recent documents(100 years war) we know how important proper training for archers was.
Even if you could construct an argument for it (I disagree with the notion it is realistic), more importantly, making archers restricted to T3 would make the majority of army compositions in the game a lot more repetitive, and wouldn't even solve the balance issue of archers because they would still be OP at T3 and above anyway. Bad idea.
They did pierce the target, as any thrusting weapon do, but the damage was by cutting and causing bleeding
Why then would you have pierce damage even exist as a type if not for applying it to weapons which pierce the target? Spearheads also cut and cause bleeding. Why not just balance the damage type?
I agree, just saying the problem with archers has a lot more to do with AI than armor values.
The problem is fundamentally from armour values because even if the AI was perfect (and let's be honest, it never will be!) ranged troops would still be the strongest part of any army and other troops would only serve the role of distractions for your archers.

Most ranged battles in Bannerlord should not be decided by a shootout - this is a mediaeval game, not Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
That's also an AI deficiency, you as the player would not have a problem dealing with it, just deal with the archers first as the 10% trash infantry will not be enough to cover all of them.
A player would just space out their archers, now every archer you want to engage in melee is close shooting distance from another one. It will fundamentally always be OP for ranged units to be dealing the same net damage as melee units, because long range is simply better than close range.
That's just the game rewarding you for positioning your troops well, archers should be an advantage when used correctly and a liability when not.
Archers should be the best way of dealing with horse archers, the best troop for dealing with static enemy defensive formations, a good source of constant damage while enemy/your troops are maneovuring, and strong against shieldless troops who are obstructed by a significant number of infantry. And strong in sieges. As well as being able to easily slaughter lower tier troops without even having to risk any injury at all. Those are the advantages of archers.

Archers should not be able to massacre a group of armoured infantry charging at them over an open field before they can even get in melee range. They should also not be able to massacre shielded troops who are temporarily distracted. And they should not be able to use speed boosts to massacre cavalry who are charging directly at them.

Archers should not be able to massacre a group of armoured infantry charging at them over an open field before they can even get in melee range.
What should their casualty rate be? And, if it's super low, why wouldn't the archers just retreat? You are chasing something which is, in my view, impossible.

What should their casualty rate be? And, if it's super low, why wouldn't the archers just retreat? You are chasing something which is, in my view, impossible.
100 🏹, open field:

Should win against 100 🐎🏹, with medium casualties
Should win against 100 🪓, with high casualties
Should lose against 100 🐴 🗡️, with low kills
Should lose against 100🛡️, with low/no kills

100 🏹, siege wall, cliffside, bridge, etc:

Should win against 100 🪓, with low/no casualties
Should lose against 100 🐴 🗡️, with decent kills
Should lose against 100🛡️, with decent kills

Reversing it,
100 🐎🏹 should lose v100 archers, with medium kills --- Why lose at all? HAs have better mobility; 🏹 should have better aim, but this would cancel. It should be a tossup!
100 🪓 should lose v100 archers, with high kills --- Why high kills? 🏹 have lighter armor, and should be able to outmaneuver and minimize their losses!
100 🐴 🗡️ should win v100 archers, with low losses --- This is my experience already, hence my "fine"
100🛡️ should win v100 archers, w low/no losses --- This requires a longer answer, but 100 bowmen should be scary to anyone.

Infantry are for HOLDING GROUND. If you have 100 archers on a hill, my 100 Infantry should easily chase the archers off the hill, but not necessarily REACH them without losses. Heck, 50 infantry should chase them off position and 50 cav should hunt them down. But the Infantry should not be assured of lossless victory; on this we have a major disagreement.

I think his examples were overly simplified and made a lot of assumptions, like the archers would just hold position in a line on perfectly flat terrain (so none are obstructed by terrain or each other) and the opposing force is mindlessly charging. Any further tactical moves would throw it off, e.g. 100 archers split into two formations can win against 100 shielded infantry in one formation.

I don't think tier-for-tier shock infantry should inflict high casualties against archers in this scenario, archers are meant to counter them. The fantasy some have of being a heavily-armored juggernaut with a two-handed weapon relentlessly charging into a hail of arrows that merely bounce off is very poor for troop balancing. It might be fun for the player to be that way, but if your entire shock troop formation are basically Warhammer 40K space marines then they are just taking the top spot from archers rather than leveling the playing field.

just taking the top spot from archers rather than leveling the playing field.
Right on with everything you said; I would add, but the playing field shouldn't be level. I'm not saying the balance is PERFECT, but it is FINE. I don't cry about archers because they're not overpowered in a *campaign-based game*: I can adapt my force, and out of the forests, run from them if I'm too weak.

This isn't a points-based game, and the balance is fine. Please, Taleworlds, fugg with the AI choices before touching the weaponry.

Reversing it,
100 🐎🏹 should lose v100 archers, with medium kills --- Why lose at all? HAs have better mobility; 🏹 should have better aim, but this would cancel. It should be a tossup!
Being on horseback means you are on a rocking, bouncing surface, and it's harder to reload as quickly, and the bow you can use is less large and therefore less powerful.

I'm open to debate on this one though on the level of casualties, perhaps archers should take high casualties instead of medium. But archers should definitely be the best counter to horse archers.

Because otherwise, what exactly are horse archers weak to? Let's look at their current matchups.
* They beat archers, who are too unrealistically bad at leading targets.
* They beat melee cavalry, who can't catch them and take unrealistically high damage through their armour.
* They beat shield infantry, as horse archers can circle around behind their shields and shoot them in the back, where their unrealistically weak armour doesn't protect them.
* They absolutely murder shock infantry, again, unrealistically weak armour.
100 🪓 should lose v100 archers, with high kills --- Why high kills? 🏹 have lighter armor, and should be able to outmaneuver and minimize their losses!
If you can space out your formation enough, you should be able to reduce losses for a better result, sure - this is working on the assumption that archers will remain in line formation. But as it stands currently, archers can remain completely still in line formation and kill nearly every single shock infantry unit before they even get in melee range, no input required from the player.

As for "outmaneuver" I hope you're not referring to running away like some anime Legolas firing retreating shots on foot and still outrunning your pursuers *and* firing accurate shots, because that shouldn't even be humanly possible except for unarmoured troops with high bow skill being chased by heavily armoured troops with low athletics.
Archers have barely lighter armour than their pursuers. For example Imperial Palatine Guard are still wearing heavy chainmail, helmet, etc. They should not be capable of sprinting away at high speed while shooting.
100🛡️ should win v100 archers, w low/no losses --- This requires a longer answer, but 100 bowmen should be scary to anyone.
"Scary to any group of 100 troops of the same tier", in other words, means "blatantly overpowered".
Infantry are for HOLDING GROUND
And taking it. Relegating them to defensive roles is really dumb and unfun. They were used offensively all the time in real life, because in real life archers didn't have this ridiculous level of armour penetration.
But the Infantry should not be assured of lossless victory; on this we have a major disagreement.
I didn't say assured lossless victory. I said that on an open field, not a hill, archers should get low or no kills vs shield less infantry. On a hill, naturally they would do better.

By saying there's nothing wrong with the way armour is now, you are defending archers being able to have a lossless victory against shock infantry in the current state of the game!
I think his examples were overly simplified and made a lot of assumptions, like the archers would just hold position in a line on perfectly flat terrain (so none are obstructed by terrain or each other) and the opposing force is mindlessly charging. Any further tactical moves would throw it off, e.g. 100 archers split into two formations can win against 100 shielded infantry in one formation.
Correct. If you're using tactics, you get better results. If you're just delegating command, F3ing or doing nothing, these are the results you'll usually get.

It's simple because it gives us a baseline to work from so we know what roles each troop type performs best at. This gives the player and balancers general tactical rules to go off like "in a vacuum, shock infantry are good against shield infantry, so most of the time in battle, they will fulfil that capacity and make themselves useful."

In an actual battle many other factors come into play, but for balance purposes, you at least can assure that no troop is useful in too many common situations, or fails to be useful at too many things.
I don't think tier-for-tier shock infantry should inflict high casualties against archers in this scenario, archers are meant to counter them.
I'm happy to say medium casualties instead. But the thing is, sieges, cliffsides, bridges etc are very common scenarios in Bannerlord, making up nearly half of your battles. And archers will perform even better against shock infantry in that scenario.
The fantasy some have of being a heavily-armored juggernaut with a two-handed weapon relentlessly charging into a hail of arrows that merely bounce off is very poor for troop balancing.
But I didn't say arrows should merely bounce off - just that average TTK for arrows against armour be raised from 4 to 7.

This would mean that shock troops would go from reaching archers with ~0-10% of their HP, to reaching archers with ~40% of their HP. So they would still lose if they charge into a cloud of arrows. And in sieges they would still get reamed.

Revising what I said before based on good points made:

100 🏹, open field:

Should win against 100 🪓, with medium casualties
Should win against 100 🐎🏹, with high casualties
Should lose against 100 🐴 🗡️, with medium kills
Should lose against 100🛡️, with medium/low kills

100 🏹, siege wall, cliffside, bridge, etc:

Should win against 100 🪓, with low casualties
Should lose against 100 🐴 🗡️, with high kills
Should lose against 100🛡️, with medium kills

And for a mixed battle example -

50 🏹 and 50 🛡️, vs. 50 🪓 and 50 🛡️, open field: If the axemen are behind the shielded troops when advancing, the 🪓 🛡️ side should win. If not, the 🏹🛡️ side should win. Either scenario should have close casualties, not a drastic win for either side (like it is currently with an infantry+archer tactic).
Right on with everything you said; I would add, but the playing field shouldn't be level. I'm not saying the balance is PERFECT, but it is FINE. I don't cry about archers
You cry about other people crying about archers. You complain nonstop about people complaining. Nobody is forcing you to come to these threads! I paid money for this game hoping it would be immersive and challenging, and it isn't. This forum is a place for people to discuss how the game can be improved and there is definitely room for improvement.

I am not asking for "perfect" balance. I am asking for reasonable balance and a fun, challenging game. It is not reasonable or challenging to sit archers on a hill with a token force of infantry and watch them easily mow everything down.
ecause they're not overpowered in a *campaign-based game*: I can adapt my force, and out of the forests, run from them if I'm too weak.

This isn't a points-based game, and the balance is fine. Please, Taleworlds, fugg with the AI choices before touching the weaponry.
I have to "adapt my force" in an immersion breaking way to make the game an actual challenge. Even on realistic full difficulty, if I use Khan's Guards, Battanian Fian Champs, or even just decently large amounts of normal archers, or even just use a bow on horseback myself, it feels like cheating because it's so damn easy and overpowered. They kill everything before my melee troops can even get a hit in! So I don't even hire them! **** me for wanting to use game content, right?

I'm not saying archers make the game too hard (unless I decide I want to play an infantry focused playthrough), I'm saying they make the game too unchallenging and void of interesting tactics.

People who want armour fixed keep saying this in every thread and there's no way you haven't seen it by now, so you're either trolling or have short term memory loss.

You cry about other people crying about archers.
Sorry, that's not how language works; you're crying out for change, loud and long. I disagree there needs to be a change.
People who want armour fixed keep saying this in every thread
I disagree that bows are overpowered. Therefore, I disagree that armour needs to be fixed (again). Just because I think you're flat wrong doesn't make me a troll. Years of billy goat experience is what makes me a troll.
50 🏹 and 50 🛡️, vs. 50 🪓 and 50 🛡️, open field: If the axemen are behind the shielded troops when advancing, the 🪓 🛡️ side should win.

The problem with what you've said here, is that IT DOES WORK LIKE THAT, except the AI cannot execute this tactic.

That's not a bow or armour problem. And, again, we players can mod. If you had a mod for me to try, I would try your balance. But the problems aren't in the area where you think.

Last edited:
I disagree that bows are overpowered. Therefore, I disagree that armour needs to be fixed (again).
Anyone here can tell you bows are overpowered because you do not need to upgrade troops to infantry at all, you do not need to use anything other than one tactic at all, bows can easily defeat everything, they totally remove the balance and variety and challenge of the game, therefore bows are the definition of overpowered.
The problem with what you've said here, is that IT DOES WORK LIKE THAT, except the AI cannot execute this tactic.
That's not a bow or armour problem.
Why do you cut out half the post and completely change the meaning of it? I said with close casualties. You can execute this tactic yourself as a player and still suffer significant casualties. That's not an AI problem, that's a problem of archers being VERY OVERPOWERED.

Seeing as you edited your post:
Just make a mod bro to prove something anyone can see lol
A game which is very similar to Bannerlord in many respects in fact even recycling much code, with very very similar AI, but with archers dealing lower damage to armour, already exists.

It's called Mount and Blade: Warband. Go play it and you will see proof that fixing armour will make archers balanced.

bows can easily defeat everything
"Elite Cataphracts can easily defeat everything"

"Khans on hold-fire can easily defeat everything"

Bows don't defeat 'everything'. There is a specific set of circumstances where they are strong.

Anyone here can tell you bows are overpowered because you do not need to upgrade troops to infantry at all
This means that bows are *better* than walking, not that they are *overpowered*. Some things are *better* than other things.
A game which is very similar to Bannerlord

It's called Mount and Blade: Warband.
Wow, no sh*t? Go play that then.

"Elite Cataphracts can easily defeat everything"

"Khans on hold-fire can easily defeat everything"
Elite Cataphracts lose at a 2:1 ratio against Khan's Guard, and KGs that use their bows will beat KGs that don't.
There is a specific set of circumstances where they are strong.
There are many, common, circumstances where bows are very strong.
Some things are *better* than other things.
Yes, and when some things are better than other things to the point they make them mostly irrelevant, that's called being overpowered. What exactly do you think classifies as overpowered if not that?
Wow, no sh*t? Go play that then.
Why do you consider this an argument?

I'd be so happy if you guys were secretly banner lord devs and all this back and forth is actually for the game's balancing.🥇
Good reads, good points and arguments, just though you should know.

I'd be so happy if you guys were secretly banner lord devs and all this back and forth is actually for the game's balancing.🥇
Good reads, good points and arguments, just though you should know.
I wish -- the Perks system wouldn't be such hot garbage
Well, it's nice to see some positivity :smile:
Yeah, let's see what 1.2 ends up bringing to melee scaling. Then I can continue arguing that Bows are a Choice.

Back
Top Bottom