Arena XP gain discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Ironking

Sergeant at Arms
Ok so now you can get xp from fighting in the arena. Lets have a look at how effective it is.
Well I used a starting character with one handed skill 9. After three arena practice fights which took me not even 10 minutes I had 24 in one handed.
From 9 to 24 in not even 10 minutes! It looks like xp gain is currently 100% which needless to say is way too high. This feels like cheating.
I think something really low like 10% is more appropriate.

In warband arena you would only get very small xp compared to field battle which is why it worked.

Yes, this. I suggested a few times having Tourney fights give you a decent amount of XP compared to regular Arena fights. Maybe 10% on Arenas, and 15-20% in actual competitive tourney fights?

Would be more interesting to see what the gain looked like at higher skill levels. If the gain remains that fast then of course it needs tweaking. If not, what's the problem if people want to power through the "I'm completely useless with anything other than a bow" phase of the game?

Also, if the xp is based on the damage you deal, that's something that really needs fixing, as I agree it makes zero sense to level up faster from killing a looter than killing a heavily armoured unit...

I think you should have full XP but you retain some damage when fighting, like maybe 25% of sustained wounds effect your character in the real game. that way its a safer option for people who want to grind practice/arena but not totally exploitable due to unlimited time.

I'd suggest 100% sustained damage but people wouldn't like that :wink:

I think you should have full XP but you retain some damage when fighting, like maybe 25% of sustained wounds effect your character in the real game. that way its a safer option for people who want to grind practice/arena but not totally exploitable due to unlimited time.

I'd suggest 100% sustained damage but people wouldn't like that :wink:
Agreed, this sounds way much better than nerfing XP gain thus moving tournaments from 'totally useless' to 'almost useless'.

I would be against sustained damage. Arena fights should always stay this fun thing you can always do on the side for a bit of fun without having to worry too much.

I don't really see a problem... it's realistic to get better with weapons in practice fights, and I personally think that's normal and how it should be done. Maybe once you pass a certain threshold it shouldn't work anymore? Like capped at 100 or something? That at least makes a degree of sense to me.

Sustained damage from fights would be "okay", but it can take days to recover from injury, which is annoying. Maybe a fatigue system like the smithy would work?

I disagree with reducing the xp gain rate. The point of the arena is to get passable combat skills early on. Exp gain is slow as is, especially past ~60, there's no need to make it even more of a grind. Going from 9 to 24 is a hardly what I would call cheating. It's going from nothing to barely better than a recruit.
As for tournaments, you're usually fighting competent to elite opponents, which should be better practice than some random looter.

Can someone test what the gains are like once you get past level 100 in the combat skills? Would be curious if the gains taper off

50% in regular practice arena fights and 100% in tourney fights seems most appropriate.

I'm not worried about the PC leveling up their personal combat skills too quickly. They aren't nearly as useful as leader skills anyways.

I disagree with reducing the xp gain rate. The point of the arena is to get passable combat skills early on. Exp gain is slow as is, especially past ~60, there's no need to make it even more of a grind. Going from 9 to 24 is a hardly what I would call cheating. It's going from nothing to barely better than a recruit.
As for tournaments, you're usually fighting competent to elite opponents, which should be better practice than some random looter.
That increase was just from 3 fights. I did a few more and reached 54 in no time.
If this stays then every early game will be the same with every character. Arena grind.
In Warband arena only worked for weapon proficiencies which increased very slowly. Xp gain from arena in warband was almost nothing. You couldn't rely on that to level up.

50% in regular practice arena fights and 100% in tourney fights seems most appropriate.

That would be a good compromise. At a bit of a loss why people care so much. It's a quality of life fix for people who don't enjoy grinding out the early levels against looters.

Calling it OP makes it sound like some kind of exploit in an MMO. If you don't want to do it you don't have to. It literally won't affect your playthrough in any way...

you can get from 5 to low 30 single solo looter fight. at some point t1 troops stop giving any reasonable lvl of xp, if you do any actual fighting you will get multiple lvls each fight even in high 100 skill lvl, not vs looters tho :smile:

If this stays then every early game will be the same with every character. Arena grind.

If you choose to play the early game that way then yes it will be. No one's forcing you to.

Even if it went down to 10%, the other quality of life fixes that people have suggested for the current slow xp gain (increasing multipliers for example) would still have the same effect of making arena grind a viable earlygame option.

Back
Top Bottom