Are you sure you didn't overdo it with the wages a bit...?

Users who are viewing this thread

DeSoto

Sergeant at Arms
When I was a mercenary for the crusader states, I paid for my 220 strong all-cav party around 25k...that was expensive but sort of manageable. Mind you we where at war most of the time.
The moment I decided to start my own Kingdom and took Damascus, the wages jumped to 38k! That is just insane and totally out of proportion. If the mod creators really think 220 guys should cost THAT much, they should have implemented better ways to counter this, as it stands all businesses are useless unless you invested early on, I mean come on, 350 a week for 10k investement? You gotta be kidding me.

I honestly don't see the (historically acurate) justification for an 50-60% increase in wages, only because you have your own kingdom now. It's the same units as before, and it's the same war as before, why on earth would you pay these guys so much all of a sudden? Anyway, totally detroys the fun for me, I'm not going to downgrade my warband, so which options do I have to decrease the wages to the former level?
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
Once you have fiefs (lord or king) you can recruit your lances.

They are free if you are in war. Thats why mercs are cheaper if you are not a lord.

If you are unhappy about the game balance you can tweak easily, or use cheat codes for lots of cash. Make enterprises give more cash, or increase rent, or decrease wages, etc.

Dromel said:
DrThomas:
Most of the features of the mod are design for middle or end game. Ie when you are as a lord of a faction or you're a leader of your own faction.
 

xat

Sergeant
kalarhan said:
Once you have fiefs (lord or king) you can recruit your lances.

They are free if you are in war. Thats why mercs are cheaper if you are not a lord.

If you are unhappy about the game balance you can tweak easily, or use cheat codes for lots of cash. Make enterprises give more cash, or increase rent, or decrease wages, etc.

Dromel said:
DrThomas:
Most of the features of the mod are design for middle or end game. Ie when you are as a lord of a faction or you're a leader of your own faction.

I'm playing on childlish because wages are *stupid*. I know how Thomas want us to run with peasants because thats how it was one or two lords and a bunch of peasants hence the pesants edition.

But well for us that want to run with miles let say have about 100 or so of them we need to work really really hard to sustain them.
So as I said I run on childlish for ineffiency and wages and other one i don't remember. Had few of business enterprises and most of them were the dyework in Altan Ordys. But it gave me few K's top total.
Then I had fiefs, and here where the bad stuff happens. Auto garrisoning, childlish or maybe me fooling around with Tweak MB made it so that Maximum fief wages go to 3 000 denars and stop (thank god). Now vilages are fine they give you from few hundreds to 1-2k of denars if they are really rich. But stuff happends with towns and castles.
You pay 3k for wages of your troops in town or castle. While you earn usually less than 2k from each (wars happen you know). The highest i've seen was about 4k+ from castle, and about 5-6k from my town when it was the richest and most profitable town on the map, having most caravans.
Usually those towns and castles are near 3k or slightly above it or hard below it.

So long story short, I run a cavalary type unit about 200 or so men, about 70 or so were miles sometimes more usually less, rest was a *in the training* units. Even though I have 3 towns, castle and few vilages as a king of my kingdom, I each and every week have to pay about 10k denars +/- for my party payments. I'm already hit with my 9% inneffiency taking away about 5-9 k from me.
Basically you pretty much can't even sustain your troops on a childlish level, without getting the cash from trading/flags/ransoms/battleitems.

I remember in 1.03 or so when you had town set on *auto garrison* you didn't pay troops wages, that was kinda nice as the peasants managed themsevlves. But even when I set my castle to manual to *garrison troops* it didn't allow me to go over 500 as if i went over that number the troops magically disappeared over the time to stay near 500.
 

DeSoto

Sergeant at Arms
xat said:
I remember in 1.03 or so when you had town set on *auto garrison* you didn't pay troops wages, that was kinda nice as the peasants managed themsevlves. But even when I set my castle to manual to *garrison troops* it didn't allow me to go over 500 as if i went over that number the troops magically disappeared over the time to stay near 500.
Wait, so there's no way to get garrisons exceeding 500 men? So that I have to join every single defense or else it'll fail? All the while in live battles I was able to repel an attacking force of about 1500 with just 80-90 losses (without cheating in any way), because the castellations only allowed for 1 man to pass through at a time? So you could just block that tiny space and riddle the rest with arrows? But auto-resolve miraculously ignoring the actual architecture?

No offense, but this might be the final straw for me. No idea why you would want to turn a fun combat simulator into a grindy, high-maintenance experience in the later game. The more emphasis is put on the "civ sim" part, the more obvious it becomes that it is the weakest link in the whole game.
 

xat

Sergeant
DeSoto said:
xat said:
I remember in 1.03 or so when you had town set on *auto garrison* you didn't pay troops wages, that was kinda nice as the peasants managed themsevlves. But even when I set my castle to manual to *garrison troops* it didn't allow me to go over 500 as if i went over that number the troops magically disappeared over the time to stay near 500.
Wait, so there's no way to get garrisons exceeding 500 men? So that I have to join every single defense or else it'll fail? All the while in live battles I was able to repel an attacking force of about 1500 with just 80-90 losses (without cheating in any way), because the castellations only allowed for 1 man to pass through at a time? So you could just block that tiny space and riddle the rest with arrows? But auto-resolve miraculously ignoring the actual architecture?

No offense, but this might be the final straw for me. No idea why you would want to turn a fun combat simulator into a grindy, high-maintenance experience in the later game. The more emphasis is put on the "civ sim" part, the more obvious it becomes that it is the weakest link in the whole game.

Auto-battle was always ****ty I only loose it if I really don't feel like fighting, IE me and other lords attacking one guy or smth.
I remember that attacking some bandits/peasants 20 strong or so with my 70 miles resulted in one or two miles dead. I mean did he fall of his damn horse and died or what.

As for garrison dunno, I don't set any of mine on manual, but it was like that in 1.03 or some SVN.

If you don't feel like it and want to *cheat* a little you can export your character go to my documents find warband find your character open it with notepad and change whatever you want. For example i *reseted* my character XP at 2 points, when he became a vassal and when he became a lord. That way he has the important leader stats like leadership etc at 10, as well as now he hit 30 in all skills but still needs loads of inteligency to get other stuffs.
You can also modify amount of denars you have there, so if you don't feel like paying crazy cash, just pop yourself 1-2 mil denars and forget that troops wages existed.

Basically to make 1257 enjoyable at least for me I had to make some tweaks with tweakmb as well as resetting my character.
 

bakters

Knight
DeSoto said:
No offense, but this might be the final straw for me. No idea why you would want to turn a fun combat simulator into a grindy, high-maintenance experience in the later game. The more emphasis is put on the "civ sim" part, the more obvious it becomes that it is the weakest link in the whole game.
  If you'll get really experienced with the game, I believe you still will be able to roflstomp the AI, but DrThoman made a valiant effort to make it all quite difficult.  Mostly for authenticity sake, I think, but it poses a challenge for powergamers too.

The way I plan to work around this problem.

1.  Have 29 fully trained companions.
2.  Assign lots of fiefs to myself.  I mean lots.  Like every castle and every city I take, and a bunch of villages on top of that.
3.  Figure out cheap strategies of winning against odds both in sieges and obviously in field battles.
4.  Abuse personal looting system to my heart's content (I turned off flags, though.  Too much of a cheat for me...)
5.  Whatever else I can come up with.  Tournaments, prisoners, ransoms?  Anything goes.

If you don't want to play like that, it's quite possible to play decently with a faction.  You can improve your manor, get the goods it produces and sell them for a lot of cash.  You are a vassal, like you would be in real life, but you get to see the fruits of your labor.

If you want to take over the map for your kingdom?  I don't know.  It's a difficult mod, and I'm not sure somebody even did it up to now.  Probably yes, but he didn't come up with my searches.  So it's going to be a real challenge.

Anyway, there is TweakMB and Morgh's editor.  Few clicks here and there and you can change the gameplay to quite a degree. 
 

Ferconex

Recruit
Sorry to barge in on a topic that is just slightly related to my problem, but a PM to DrTomas did not produce an answer, and I cannot find it in the forums. Also, the OP seems to have the answer I seek. So:

I play and enjoy the Anno mod, but I have a question about the following statement:

DrTomas said:
After that, do what vagabonds did at that age - be a mercenary. Either as a freelancer or an actual mercenary captain. Actualy being a captain you will get paid for both your party(as long as it's not too big) and add an extra bonus for you as the party leader.

How exactly does one get to play as a mercenary captain? I have 500 renown in 30 days (horse archer) but when I talk to a king, the only option I have is enrolling, IE freelancing. I do not know how to get him to hire me and my companions as described.

Also, I cannot find the answer if in Anno I can get a personal fief, since I cannot seem to be able to lay siege to a city or fortress when non-affiliated.

Thank you very much for your time and answer!
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
Ferconex said:
Also, I cannot find the answer if in Anno I can get a personal fief, since I cannot seem to be able to lay siege to a city or fortress when non-affiliated.

Do you have negative relations with that faction? Attack caravans, lords, villages, etc and they will be mad at you.

If you conquer a castle/town you will them form a new kingdom. That is very hard way to survive unless you are ready for war after war or you have a good RTR and relations and reserve troops.

Alternative (should work on 1257AD, I never tried it tho) is to conquer a castle/town then join a faction as a vassal lord.
 
Top Bottom