Are Workshops even worth it? (Response to pottery nerf)

Users who are viewing this thread

I wish there was a reason for variety. I do it for roleplay kind of and to experiment with different shop types, but really it's just a money making thing (I still have 3 different shops just because it's interesting I guess). I think it'd be hard to come up with specific bonuses for each shop type, but it might encourage variety to choice. Maybe while you own a smithy you have a virtual focus point? While you own a brewery it's a virtual charm focus point? ...and while you own a pottery shop you get a... ...a uhm... hmm.... Well those first two sound cool. :wink:

Edit: Actually, that could be a trade off. Maybe shops like pottery just flat out provide more money and not a bonus. Then you don't need to come up with something for every shop type. Spitballing.

I am surprised people feel the game is grindingly slow. Yes, the aging is quite slow but the number of events per year is very fast. I would definitely speed up aging and slow down wars. Just too much is happening, but I suppose you need more peacetime activities in the game.

I noticed there's a few things to look out for;
  1. Buy a workshop in a high prosperity town.
  2. Make sure the town is not on the boundaries of any current Kingdom's war front. If the city is sieged or sacked, your profits drop signficantly as well as the prosperity which determines its output
  3. Make sure the town has a natural supply of whatever it is you're going to produce. It doesn't really seem to matter if you have multiple production lines for one product (I had a pottery workshop in pen cannoc - it has 3 production sites. It generated 270 gold on a good day. I then bought a brewery in Rhotae, and it has 1 grain production village, and it generated 480 gold on a good day).

I remember Warband, where it was a meager revenue per WEEK, so Workshops were really fluff (non profitable except after a few years :razz:).
So Workshops now seem OK in comparison (revenue per day).

That said, just by trading quickly, you can make hundreds of thousands, to the point of having too much money.

I noticed there's a few things to look out for;
  1. Buy a workshop in a high prosperity town.
  2. Make sure the town is not on the boundaries of any current Kingdom's war front. If the city is sieged or sacked, your profits drop signficantly as well as the prosperity which determines its output
  3. Make sure the town has a natural supply of whatever it is you're going to produce. It doesn't really seem to matter if you have multiple production lines for one product (I had a pottery workshop in pen cannoc - it has 3 production sites. It generated 270 gold on a good day. I then bought a brewery in Rhotae, and it has 1 grain production village, and it generated 480 gold on a good day).

Yeah, all my workshops have their raw material sourced from villages nearby as well as being in cities with high prosperity >5k. My brewery which makes 189 denars in a good day has 2 villages supplying the town with grain in a city with 5.7k prosperity BUT i have a wool workshop in a city with 2.4k prosperity with 1 village supplying it with wool and it makes 260 on a good day. The guide for looking at raw material prices in the city and what the villages supply the city only get you so far.

Things are wack

Unfortunately, workshops have no big effect on my income. At first I traded and raided, and when I reached a band of 60 warriors I had 40k Denars. Then I signed a mercenary contract and two month later I had 240k. So, there is no real point in workshops or trading after the early game. And why invest 15k in a workshop when I only need it in the early game?
But hey, it's early access, they'll work out the economy for sure. They have plenty of time for it, because these aren't changes to the core mechanics, just tweaking numbers.

I remember Warband, where it was a meager revenue per WEEK, so Workshops were really fluff (non profitable except after a few years :razz:).
So Workshops now seem OK in comparison (revenue per day).

That said, just by trading quickly, you can make hundreds of thousands, to the point of having too much money.

I mainly just built velvet workshops and said screw it to how fast the shop pays for itself before I earn a profit since even if the kingdom becomes an enemy of you they never destroyed your workshop whereas in bannerlord I've had my workshops disappear when an enemy nation took it over in some files. Velvet usually just gave you the biggest buck per week in warband and thats all i care about since i just needed to fund my Swadian doom stack to start the war economy. Whereas here in Bannerlord i dont find looting villages to be profitable since they mainly give you what they produce and the amount you obtain varies greatly to the prosperity of the village when in warband it was usually ok even if the village was poor.

I usually play a warlord build so i don't look to trading for money I assume you do as i've never managed to make hundreds of thousands by trading. I've played files where i traded Raw materials to cities for a 10-20% profit and built some measly amount to fund a war horde. I don't have much experience in trading with higher value trading goods such as Jewelry. What items do you trade to make such a profit?

Unfortunately, workshops have no big effect on my income. At first I traded and raided, and when I reached a band of 60 warriors I had 40k Denars. Then I signed a mercenary contract and two month later I had 240k. So, there is no real point in workshops or trading after the early game. And why invest 15k in a workshop when I only need it in the early game?
But hey, it's early access, they'll work out the economy for sure. They have plenty of time for it, because these aren't changes to the core mechanics, just tweaking numbers.

It is true that it is menial in importance compared to other things but every other patch there seems to be tweaks made all the time to the economy of workshops. Their paying a whole lot of attention to it.

Workshops seem feasible to me. I get roughly 800/day from one potter. Located in Vostrum I believe.

My smithy makes anywhere from 150-600/day.

2 caravans 1500-2300/day each.

I have been profiting around 2300-4300 for the last few weeks. Wars on 2 fronts and 100 man party leading armies of 400ish.

Economy still needs balancing, but devs are working on it. It is still off with some armor costing several hundred thousand.

Workshops seem feasible to me. I get roughly 800/day from one potter. Located in Vostrum I believe.

My smithy makes anywhere from 150-600/day.

2 caravans 1500-2300/day each.

I have been profiting around 2300-4300 for the last few weeks. Wars on 2 fronts and 100 man party leading armies of 400ish.

Economy still needs balancing, but devs are working on it. It is still off with some armor costing several hundred thousand.

Your potter makes 800 a day even with the nerf? wow what city is it located in?

To me it already felt like loot was what made me truly rich (and one of my mods actually decreases the prices of gear compared to vanilla, so I'd assume loot would sell for even more without it). And this is without any rogue companions with the increased loot perk in my party or any investment in roguery myself too. Caravans mostly just offset the wages of my own and my clan member parties.

There's definitely still a lot of economy balancing work to be done.

To me it already felt like loot was what made me truly rich (and one of my mods actually decreases the prices of gear compared to vanilla, so I'd assume loot would sell for even more without it). And this is without any rogue companions with the increased loot perk in my party or any investment in roguery myself too. Caravans mostly just offset the wages of my own and my clan member parties.

There's definitely still a lot of economy balancing work to be done.

Yep thats essentially how i make my money in warband and bannerlord but the workshops are there essentially to pay for troop upkeep but it fails to even do that.

It is true that it is menial in importance compared to other things but every other patch there seems to be tweaks made all the time to the economy of workshops. Their paying a whole lot of attention to it.
That's true, and they'll keep working on the economy through all early access.
All I wanted to say is this: at the latest with full release we will have workshops that are worth buying. I'm pretty sure about that, it's easy to do and workshops are cool, many players like to have some. In the end they will be tweaked in a way that makes sense.

Workshops are passive money gain to support an army, doing, you know. Army stuff.

I have a Wood Workshop, and a Smithy, and Make 1.5k a day. Which is more then enough for me to go around raiding and pillaging to my hearts content. I have so much money I don't know what to do with it.

It really doesn't take that long to get to a point where money is hardly an issue.

Workshops are passive money gain to support an army, doing, you know. Army stuff.

I have a Wood Workshop, and a Smithy, and Make 1.5k a day. Which is more then enough for me to go around raiding and pillaging to my hearts content. I have so much money I don't know what to do with it.

It really doesn't take that long to get to a point where money is hardly an issue.
What cities? and is this file relatively new? I've noticed that some changes dont actually happen until a new file is started i make a new file every 2 patches so i can play with the most updated etc.

But i agree how fast the workshop pays itself off isnt a major point to me but them making enough to upkeep an army is my main concern. I did mention this in my original post.

My wool weavery workshop in Lycaron from my old save make a hefty 0 income per day, so probably not I guess.
Though, I tried changing it to other workshop like tannery and it's still not doing much better. I don't know if it's because of war stagnation or what but it just seem so unreliable most of the time. I probably will complete that playthrough way before it will pay for itself.

My friend said that Pen canoc potterry can generate pretty good income(around 500~ which don't seem that op tbh) but they already nerf that, so brewery is probably next on the chopping block.

Also I didn't know if they fix it yet but you can lose your workshop permanently if your faction are going to war with the faction that have you'r workshop city as their property. Which mean it's not really a safe passive income either unless you're on natural playthrough which is not possible if you want to progress the main quest.

My wool weavery workshop in Lycaron from my old save make a hefty 0 income per day, so probably not I guess.
Though, I tried changing it to other workshop like tannery and it's still not doing much better. I don't know if it's because of war stagnation or what but it just seem so unreliable most of the time. I probably will complete that playthrough way before it will pay for itself.

My friend said that Pen canoc potterry can generate pretty good income(around 500~ which don't seem that op tbh) but they already nerf that, so brewery is probably next on the chopping block.

Also I didn't know if they fix it yet but you can lose your workshop permanently if your faction are going to war with the faction that have you'r workshop city as their property. Which mean it's not really a safe passive income either unless you're on natural playthrough which is not possible if you want to progress the main quest.
This is a pretty good point actually, while workshops are meant to be the super safe but low income alternative to the higher risk but higher income caravans, in reality I found that I lost workshops due to random wars way more often than I ever lost caravans before today's patch.

Back
Top Bottom