Are Workshops even worth it? (Response to pottery nerf)

Users who are viewing this thread

If you buy workshops in the wrong place where raw goods are expensive price for the trade good is low, yes.
Imagine if in real life, every investment was guaranteed to be profitable, money would lose its meaning.
You should not be able to finance your warmongering with 5 workshops and some odd caravans, maintaining an army was(and is) hugely expensive. Also what's the point of bandits if they don't harass caravans and hurt the economy(although I agree it needs tweaking?)

There is a difference between making no money at all v.s paying upkeep v.s profiting.

Take my pottery workshops as an example.

The city has 2 villages providing it with clay > I check the sale price of clay in the city 12-15 denars and pottery were selling for about 100-120 denars a piece > I purchase a pottery workshop > make 350-450 denars a day once it stabilized > Nerf incoming > they said they fixed an issue where 1 clay produced 2 pottery (I assume ok my earnings will be halved with a 20% fluctuation) > Nerf also says suddenly Pottery will now be halved in demand > Play my file and watch my daily earnings go from 450 max to 25 denars a day.

Most people playing i think are paying attention to available raw material before investing in a workshop and just making a logical choice of low price materials, decent town prosperity, relatively safe location, produced product has a decent price but thats not how it works apparently.

I'm all for workshops not allowing me to have a 100 plus stack of max tier units and allowing me to break even maybe a 300-400 denars in the red but it shouldn't be this bad.

This typed, I'd guess that only the barest framework has been put in place, as even with my highly lucrative brewery (well, it's my most lucrative workshop), it'd sell for less than I bought it for (I've never had a workshop sell price be profitable) and there are levels listed, but they don't seem to be functional ATM.
This right here, i'm sure that they're just setting up the baseline framework currently before they activate the level system on it. If you have a level 1 shop putting out 600-1500 denars/day just imagine how much you would get from a higher level shop.

This right here, i'm sure that they're just setting up the baseline framework currently before they activate the level system on it. If you have a level 1 shop putting out 600-1500 denars/day just imagine how much you would get from a higher level shop.

I know, right? I'm excited to see what direction the devs take this in. I'm okay with profits being capped per level (via percentages, etc.) and having to invest more (money, materials, etc.) to raise shops to a new level (but be rewarded for it).

It'd be a nice bonus if the physical shops are upgraded to go along with it - or at least have the possibility there for others to add. I'll be happy just having this (and many other areas) more fully fleshed out. Granted, we always want more... because we like the game.

That might be the case but that doesn't mean that they need to make the CURRENT version useless. My caravans got destroyed 5 mins after I started to play today so I had to restart them for 18K each, my pottery shop that used to make 400-650 a day making 50-90 a day now so I just see no reason why would I spend money on any of them in the first place??

It depends on the availability of goods and such too. I have a pottery workshop, brewery and a silver smith. My brewery is making me decent money, but it is in a town with two grain producing villages. My pottery place which is attached to one village that makes clay is doing okay. It is definitely making me more than 50-90 a day.

You got to find the right places now. don't only look at available supplies, you also have to check nearby production. If there are multiple shops of the same kind in an area than your product is either going to be less valuable or merchants might hit the other shops first. You can make 200-300 denars easily with good placement.

The biggest thing the pottery shop nerf affected is that you can't just brainlessly place down a pottery shop anywhere on the map and get +400 to your income.

On a sidenote if you want valuable pottery (or anything) it is possible to purchase and change all the other shops of that kind to something else then sell them. #Monopoly

Really? I was making 5000 off my 3 workshops
Yeah, the whole buying out shops and converting them to something else was something i tried. Every new patch i make a new file to see how the game behaves with the patch changes and it is not doing a thing in current patch. I've quit some 2-5 years ingame files to start fresh with the new patches to see how the game behaves and things have gone worse than day 1

Back
Top Bottom