Are there any plans to 'declutter' the campaign map?

Users who are viewing this thread

The whole thread is a collection of personal opinions that are not tied together with the common reality.
If you speak about "common reality" and defend the ridiculously artificial map, you should rethink your position.
Maybe there will be a way to "easily" generate these battle maps? maybe using the campaign height map to auto generate the entire continent worth of battle maps then dividing then into sections, filling it with trees etc and then giving some finishing handmade touches to make each more interesting?
You pretty much are saying "there should be proceduraly-generated maps", which was my point.
What gave you the impression it wasn't locked in before? Early on (maybe summer?) mexxico mentioned he was unlikely to get permission to make any changes to the map.

edit: it was here
Let's say that now they have a technical excuse to claim they can't go back on their idiotic design choice.

The campaign map is remarkably unaesthetic. The placement of mountains feels too haphazard and lacks believability.

That I mean by this is Calradia's mountain ranges crisscross and run every which way, with different ranges going in every possible direction -even when they are in close proximity to one another. Generally speaking, a mountain range will run along a the direction of a fault-line where two tectonic plates are pushing against one another. A simple example of this is the Andes Mountains on the western edge of South America.

eem-fig1-1-hires.jpg

1200px-Topographic_map_of_South_America.jpg

Even places like Turkey -which sits atop multiple fault-lines, sees her mountain ranges follow the rules of geography and exist along those lines.

45213255708343AEB72F07D7808A1621.ashx

5e2c22750f25442788313f47.jpg

On the other hand, the geography of Calradia resembles a porcupine or hedgehog, with a labyrinth of random mountains sprawling out in various -often conflicting, directions.

uo5d6dexubv41.jpg

I understand what the devs were going for, they wanted to add choke points and areas to funnel the armies into -in order to increase clashes between the factions. That said, these choke points could have been created in other ways besides placing an endless maze of mountains.

Other terrain-restricting features which could have been used are:

-Impassable old-growth forests
-Impassable swamps/wetlands
-Rivers as boundaries
-Man-made structures/walls (e.g. Hadrian's Wall/Great Wall of China)

These, used in conjunction with logically placed mountain ranges, would make a much more aesthetically pleasing and believable map.
-

The campaign map is remarkably unaesthetic. The placement of mountains feels too haphazard and lacks believability.

That I mean by this is Calradia's mountain ranges crisscross and run every which way, with different ranges going in every possible direction -even when they are in close proximity to one another. Generally speaking, a mountain range will run along a the direction of a fault-line where two tectonic plates are pushing against one another. A simple example of this is the Andes Mountains on the western edge of South America.

eem-fig1-1-hires.jpg

1200px-Topographic_map_of_South_America.jpg

Even places like Turkey -which sits atop multiple fault-lines, sees her mountain ranges follow the rules of geography and exist along those lines.

45213255708343AEB72F07D7808A1621.ashx

5e2c22750f25442788313f47.jpg

On the other hand, the geography of Calradia resembles a porcupine or hedgehog, with a labyrinth of random mountains sprawling out in various -often conflicting, directions.

uo5d6dexubv41.jpg

I understand what the devs were going for, they wanted to add choke points and areas to funnel the armies into -in order to increase clashes between the factions. That said, these choke points could have been created in other ways besides placing an endless maze of mountains.

Other terrain-restricting features which could have been used are:

-Impassable old-growth forests
-Impassable swamps/wetlands
-Rivers as boundaries
-Man-made structures/walls (e.g. Hadrian's Wall/Great Wall of China)

These, used in conjunction with logically placed mountain ranges, would make a much more aesthetically pleasing and believable map.
-
+1

In general, I agree with those who relate plate tectonics with the formation of mountains and rivers, although I also understand that there are needs linked to a map that must guarantee diversity to favor both a greater balance and a diversity of strategic approaches in function of the geography of the map itself.
The thread takes into account the fact that a good chunk of the map is "impassable" and that the mountains are more of an obstacle than an opportunity.
So let's try to turn this necessary obstacle into an opportunity:
You could use the skill scouting, inserting some special perk, to allow the party to travel the mountains with strong decreases in speed depending on the slope in the countryside map.
In the case of very high or very irregular mountains, there may also be losses of men during the crossing.
Maybe even the riding, athletics and engineering skills can have special perks that improve these crossings respectively for: horse units, infantry units, parties with a lot of transportable weight used, with chariots and more.
Maybe they can reduce the number of victims in the crossing.
Crossing which would be more difficult in winter.

Back
Top Bottom