Are TaleWorlds bad at programming?

Users who are viewing this thread

SOku

Sergeant
I don't like it when people who do literally nothing to report bugs or help other players, harvest forum content for cheap views on youtube and don't have the berrys to even post on the forum themselves. I will denounce and goad these people at every opportunity.

Oh is he a Youtuber ? Makes sense. That's Youtube in a nutshell for you, same goes for reddit aswell. " i have my sources " yeah bud, you just read a thread.

froggyluv

Grandmaster Knight
NW
MicroProse is back with a vengeance. I've been playing HighFleet lately and it is interesting mix of action and strategy, with a lot of simulation elements. Any game where I'm firing long-range anti-ship missiles based on intercepted communications and radio direction finding before diving into a straight-up SHUMP to finish off the survivors is bound to be unique in a lot of ways.

That game looks pretty badass -love the visuals and gritty sense of explosions + propulsion

Marajah

Regular
FYI: This is not a critique, take it as an honest question

Are TW bad at programming? I feel like many answers to suggestions etc., are not "we wont do this", but rather "it is too complicated" or something similar. Meanwhile modders are doing it in a couple of weeks. It's really the first time ive heard a game studio often answering that something is too complicated.

All in all, it just feels weird and a bit suspicious that a small team of modders can implemented stuff in a matter of days/weeks, meanwhile TW takes months to implement it, if they even do it.

I'm not a programmer myself, i literally know nothing about it, but how hard can it be to implemented manhunters, feasts, more life to taverns like drunks, civil wars etc.?

again, NOT a critique, just an honest question if there is something i dont know.
the complicated part is probably how they manage their thing, instead of simple programming. It was made clear throughout early access there's no cohesive line of thought. They pump archers up, then nerf then, then pump them up again. They tune cavalry behavior, then decide that's not how they want it. Make a whole patch fixing formations, then decide to make adjustments that break the whole thing. Tune some armor values, then change it again.

There's so much back and forth and mismanaged workforce it's comprehensible the game got minor quality of life changes since it came out and I don't think we should expect any different in the future

granitestone

Recruit
I'm a veteran (30 years) game programmer. I've never worked on anything as complex as Bannerlord, and my opinion is still just conjecture, with no visibility into TW. That said, I rate them just average. Bad developers couldn't create Bannerlord even if they took a century. But they're obviously no Rockstar (the word or the company) either. However their productivity is pretty obviously far below average, especially for a company that size. Studios have done more, in less time, with less people. Whether that is because the developers are actually below average, or as others have suggested above, because of bad management or planning or something not related to skillz, I couldn't possibly guess.

Whatever the case, I wish I could give this game to Wube to finish.

I'm a veteran (30 years) game programmer. I've never worked on anything as complex as Bannerlord, and my opinion is still just conjecture, with no visibility into TW. That said, I rate them just average. Bad developers couldn't create Bannerlord even if they took a century. But they're obviously no Rockstar (the word or the company) either. However their productivity is pretty obviously far below average, especially for a company that size. Studios have done more, in less time, with less people. Whether that is because the developers are actually below average, or as others have suggested above, because of bad management or planning or something not related to skillz, I couldn't possibly guess.

Whatever the case, I wish I could give this game to Wube to finish.
You should revisit this old Dev Blog that breaks down TW's 2017 workforce, to understand how they work. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/261550/view/2882822940995504341
IIRC they went on a massive recruitment drive to expand their workforce around 2016 presumably after they had reworked Bannerlord's underlying engine. As far as I can tell the current workforce is a similar size and composition to that in 2017 although a few of the faces will have changed.

I swear, small, good developers seem to always turn into trash when they expand significantly and become more like a corporation. Something just goes wrong, whether that's the new stature being overwhelming, greed, power getting to management's heads, or the crushing boots from publishing overlords, I don't know. An example that comes to mind is Prison Architect, great game, great developers, then Paradox bought them, and the game turned into a ****show. Curiously enough, TW separated from Paradox with Bannerlord, which I would consider a good thing, but there is still something rotten in TW offices.

mujadaddy

Regular
WB
I swear, small, good developers seem to always turn into trash when they expand significantly and become more like a corporation. Something just goes wrong, whether that's the new stature being overwhelming, greed, power getting to management's heads, or the crushing boots from publishing overlords, I don't know. An example that comes to mind is Prison Architect, great game, great developers, then Paradox bought them, and the game turned into a ****show. Curiously enough, TW separated from Paradox with Bannerlord, which I would consider a good thing, but there is still something rotten in TW offices.
...if we're talking shop, the TW that I've watched is just green, and teaching themselves how to be a software company without any prior structure in place as to an example of "what works".

Money from early access doesn't make you lean and hungry, if you want something short.

Faulty

Recruit
M&BWBWF&SNW
I worked with a former TaleWorlds programmer when I was at Paradox and he was very good. He was responsible for the excellent customisable Graphical User Interface system, which allowed mods like TNO to do unique things the base game couldn't.

Rungsted93

Sergeant at Arms
WBWF&SVC
I worked with a former TaleWorlds programmer when I was at Paradox and he was very good. He was responsible for the excellent customisable Graphical User Interface system, which allowed mods like TNO to do unique things the base game couldn't.
Did he say anything else about how thing were at TW? I'm curios now :smile: And I take it you worked on HOI 4? One of my favourite games :smile: !

The keyword here is "former".

Top Bottom