Are sieges too quick now that ladders towers are fixed ?

current Sieges - too quick ? too biased towards attackers ? or ok ?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I've noticed in sieges that it's far too easy / quick to get towers / ladders to walls .. this is totally unhistoric. First you need to fill in the moat / ditch, all while being shot at my archers etc. ie the Attackers should take casualties during this, but that doesn't seem the case in BL.

What do players think ? Should sieges be longer somehow, or speed is right but attacker should take casualties before the assault starts ? or current quick sieges are ok ?

I'm with you on this. alot more gates health. Attacker should take more casualties. And to conquer successfully the attacker need atleast 3x amount of troops. Once I got the first castle down. the game is over . I could conquere the whole entire game shortly after. If making castle siege harder for attackers then the game would be more realistic. There are many fortresses in the world that was famous for keeping invaders away. even 1 to 10 or 1 to 20.

Where do you change the gate health? I tried to change Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\Native\Prefabs
Prop_siege_gate_outer and inner . Created new games and still break the gates 11/12 ram
Sorry I can not remember exactly. Think it was the same as the files you linked, but for me the change did was not enabled on every gate. Only some of the gates got more health.

Walls should only be reachable by a staircase inside a tower. This way even if te enemy takes the wall, they still have to fight their way through a small door and down a staircase before they reach te open area behind the wall.
While they are fighting to get off the wall, they should be picked off by ranged/throwing troops behind the wall and above the doorway.

reinforcements should go to logical places, archers should not run passed attackers to reach their spot.

archers should actually use all available shooting points and duck for covers

Their should also be a different order system for siege battles, I find I am better off letting the auto pilot handle things, because it is to easy to mess up troop placements.

There should be a way (like warband) to command nearby troops, this would be help to player to reinforce a defense or to command an attack.

Walls should only be reachable by a staircase inside a tower. This way even if te enemy takes the wall, they still have to fight their way through a small door and down a staircase before they reach te open area behind the wall.
While they are fighting to get off the wall, they should be picked off by ranged/throwing troops behind the wall and above the doorway.

reinforcements should go to logical places, archers should not run passed attackers to reach their spot.

archers should actually use all available shooting points and duck for covers

Their should also be a different order system for siege battles, I find I am better off letting the auto pilot handle things, because it is to easy to mess up troop placements.

There should be a way (like warband) to command nearby troops, this would be help to player to reinforce a defense or to command an attack.

Agree with most of these but I suspect they'll have to wait for mods after the official release.

In terms of historical accuracy, yes, sieges are obviously way too quick and far too easy.

In terms of gameplay, I don't know if easy is quite the right word, but they don't make a ton of sense.

I've been finding that siege towers actually increase my casualties, which is strange. They should be helpful, but they take so long to reach the walls that I lose a lot of people to archers and ballistae.

The best approach I've found starts with waiting for enemy lords to clear out, which they usually do pretty quickly. Once it's down to me vs the militia I start the siege, build one catapult (and nothing else), and then attack as soon as it's complete. I put a small group near the catapult, spread everyone else out in loose formations, and rush the walls. My troops near the catapult use it to suppress the enemy siege engines, everybody else hits the ladders, and I use my bow to pick defending archers off the walls. As soon as my guys have a bridgehead (so to speak) I head up the ladder and do my best to flank the defenders.

If I'm careful and don't get myself taken out I can usually take a town with single digit fatalities, even if I'm outnumbered to start. That doesn't seem right, but I'm not sure that gameplay would be improved by making me lose more troops, since refilling companion parties is such a clicky pain in the ass.

So yeah, I dunno. Maybe.

In terms of historical accuracy, yes, sieges are obviously way too quick and far too easy.

In terms of gameplay, I don't know if easy is quite the right word, but they don't make a ton of sense.

I've been finding that siege towers actually increase my casualties, which is strange. They should be helpful, but they take so long to reach the walls that I lose a lot of people to archers and ballistae.
It's all really situational.

Towers and Rams are great when there aren't any opposing siege engines. 4 enemy Catapults on the walls can really do a number on your troops, especially on certain maps.

In some cases you really are better off bum rushing with Ladders.

I still find Towers generally useful, despite their slowness. Getting more troops on the wall can really help, and they do provide some cover.

Of course destroying the walls makes things really easy. But do you get any Engineering XP for that? Nah, not according to TW! Just endlessly build catapults and destroy catapults is about only way to level Engineering up LOL.

IDK I've had some pretty lengthy Sieges, to the point I won't even bother with reload, even if somebody dies. This is the one thing that concerns me if armor gets beefed up too much. Although realistic I do not want hours long game Sieges. Granted the 2-3 minute Sieges are a bit short, but you'll be thankful for these once you play enough.

Sieges need more fun/polish/implementations before balance can be properly adressed.

I don't mind the historical inaccurassy or balance issues. but rather that the battles lack player agency, wich makes them repetative and boring.
Ordering units around in siege battles is often a bad idea since it interferes with the preset "siege AI".
Holding "alt"-key to see where units are is not a thing.
It seems to me that some Siege maps are designed with an intention of battle inside the walls as well but its not implemented yet.

A solution could be to make Sieges more of a capture point game rather than the field battle with walls that it is now.
Holding gatehouse, left wall, right wall. and main square. holding a capture points makes enemy reinforcements spawn further back in the castle/town.

Back
Top Bottom