Are people still actually complaining about hideouts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thankfully, most complaints have fizzled out mostly.

The forest bandit camps could use a small tweak, and it would be mostly fine. Most bandit camps are sufficiently "divided into sectors" to properly separate bandits from each other and prevent mass aggro, but the forest bandit camp is a bit too open, so when the bandit numbers crawl over something like 30, a small misstep would aggro enough forest bandits to actually shatter the shields of your troops holding in shield wall.

A hill or a cliffside in the approximate position of the two middle campfires should do the trick, IMO.

Thankfully, most complaints have fizzled out mostly.

The forest bandit camps could use a small tweak, and it would be mostly fine. Most bandit camps are sufficiently "divided into sectors" to properly separate bandits from each other and prevent mass aggro, but the forest bandit camp is a bit too open, so when the bandit numbers crawl over something like 30, a small misstep would aggro enough forest bandits to actually shatter the shields of your troops holding in shield wall.

A hill or a cliffside in the approximate position of the two middle campfires should do the trick, IMO.
I agree, I do occasionally get a random neck shot from a bandit from a camp i got too close to or forgot to raid in an improper order. And i understand a lot of peoples concerns that have posted here, but I see it like this. in early game, everyone does the arenas to gain xp and gold. at some point, the arena gains slow down as it just gives 3 renown and about 500 to 1k gold. I find bandit camps as a next step to continue the smaller combats that arenas just sending troops to fight bandits as it gets a little repetative. the camps are just a nice change of play style to give my companions and main character time to skill up. and yes, there are times when you aggro'ed too many units and just have to sit there taking arrows or javs til they wilt down where you can start hitting them 1v4. i find it similiar to when youre in an arena and all your allies die and your up against 3 or 4 heavy armored gladiators. so you have to do the ol run away turn and swing for 2 minutes til you hopefully win.
Im hearing everyone saying that using your troops as a shield wall while you arrow them to death is a broken mechanic to win them, then on the flip side im reading how if you are baiting our the arrows with a shield while your troops arrow them to death is a broken mechanic.all a while they need a mod to win it for them. its pretty odd how people need them to win it for them that they find to be the justified answer. the bandit camps can be as hard or as easy as your want them to be. if it has too many camps for you to handle, then you can kill all the surrounding looters and bandits to draw them out, or just strap up your boots and try to take on a bandit camp and figure out a strategy on how to win it with out just immediately saying its broken.

Im hearing everyone saying that using your troops as a shield wall while you arrow them to death is a broken mechanic to win them, then on the flip side im reading how if you are baiting our the arrows with a shield while your troops arrow them to death is a broken mechanic.all a while they need a mod to win it for them.

I don't use shields at all when I clear hideouts and I don't use a mod to change them.

I really agree with those that find hideouts boring... Yea at the beginning it's fun... But after 20 steppe hideouts, 20 forests, 20 sea raider... It's very boring and so slow...

And you HAVE to clean them, because no one will if you don't... all your territories are going to be absolutely invaded, and your villagers killed, and your caravans, and your food supply..........

- They have too much impact on the game
- and/or there are too many hideouts
- and/or it's too slow/boring
- and/or we don't have any option to "manage" them except clean them one by one...

It has to be fixed. In 1500+ games it really becomes an annoying mecanics at the moment.

This suggestion could really bring more fun and more way to deal with hideouts.
(Same link as in the previous answer, I saw this topic a few weeks ago)

My issue with hideouts is solely based on how unbelievable they are.
I doubt that bandits would all set up small camps hundreds of yards apart from each other, only for their leader to challenge the protagonist to a duel after his entire camp is wiped out.

Honestly, it reads like a B rated script with no imagination.

This is my main complain too. FORCED teleportation to put you in a close encounter and meaningless talk with the bandit leader is unimmersive, unfun and supremely lazy.

It makes sense for the opening quest since you are looking for information, but for every hideout after that, it is pointless.

OP...sorry but I find bandit camps to be repetitive, poorly thought out and sometimes bordering on impossible. I don't get the thinking behind them, why they spawn or the numbers that spawn in them. I dislike illogical, random and /or arbitrary game mechanics...for me this is one of those.

I have no mods on my game and I regularly see 40+ bandits in camps. For the dragon banner quest I had to clear a camp with 56 forest bandits using 7 in my group and only a couple of archers...it didn't go very well.

I've read all the good advice about clearing them but I've found it nearly impossible to clear each campsite cleanly without aggro from at least one other camp. That can mean 30+ forest bandits trying to turn you into a pincushion. But honestly I just avoid them most of the time, I think they are a bit rubbish and I'm really hoping they are a placeholder for something better thought out down the line...you did ask :smile:.

And you HAVE to clean them, because no one will if you don't...
AI lords already do clear hideouts according to this post from a dev.

Those are some neat ideas! I'm all for fleshing out hideouts a bit.

I think number 2 of option B might trivialize hideouts late game a bit too much though when 99% of the time you'd have an army that bandits would just flee from. Maybe that's the point though; you've moved past that stage of the game so you don't need to invest anymore time into clearing hideouts.

If someone enjoys the main aspect of the game, large scale battles and the like, it may suck for them to be forced into doing something entirely different. Now, I imagine the intent here was actually to give the player a break int he monotony of normal play, but it is done very poorly (in my opinion).

- It's overly repetitive... playing out the exact same way and having basically the same layout every single time.

- It take too much control away from the player... you can't choose when or how you engage nor can you choose who goes with you. (maybe I don't want to take my surgeon in there just because he's a companion since he is literally never used for combat)

- It doesn't make any sense how it is done. (sure, I have over 100 guys and they have 50, but let's just 10 of us go in because... reasons)

And there's other aspects as well, but so far it seems so poorly designed that I'm sure there are people that, understandably, would feel it should/could be removed altogether. I just think they need to work on it because I believe it has potential to be an enjoyable aspect of the game.

I think the biggest complaint about the hideouts is that it randomly picks your guys instead of taking from the top of the list. So you might get in there and have a bunch of recruits instead of your elites.
Although technically not random this is a problem in the entire game, not just hideouts. I'm the leader. I should say who comes and who says back. I Sally'd out to defend a siege (long bug story) and was mortified by having my 1/10 of troops in the battle (against a 1K army) further whittled down by having it split between the militia and the junk storage heap called my garrison. If had my party of army slayers it would have been so much faster and smoother.... and really they should stay in there in case I'm killed, to hold the fort.

As far as hideouts, having more companions helps and having just stacks of useful troops too so no matter what you're good to go. I understand at certain times this cannot be though, but you can always just ignore hideouts.

I'm the leader. I should say who comes and who says back.
So far the player is just the guy who pays for all the fun iron sticks. Whatever is supposed to be under your control (your caravans, your parties, your own kingdom, no less) simply isn't, you just collect the finances, giving the 1.2mil armor set a terrifying gaze.

Back
Top Bottom