Are not there A BIT (a lot) of women in the game? And they are playing a lot of "man" roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want sword sisters!
I want a notable I can get into my fiefs that will train the peasant women into a female troop tree!
I want other special female troops in different regions!
I want Shieldmaiden and Amazon minor Clans!
I want different starting choices for female MC!
I want to get a baby bump!
I want -athletics and riding but +charm
and food consumption
for a portion of the baby baking as female MC!
I want to equip the baby and it gets skill training in combat!
I want a background choice where you start pregnant
and some lords and notables have a problem with that
I want some lords to sexist like in warband, it was funny. It'll be even better in Bannerlord because your ability to wreck any and all AI starts much sooner.

This game is not realistic!

I can jump a horse over a town wall and kill hundreds of soldiers by myself! That's manga anime stuff!

Don't make it too realistic....

Its amazing how you play an early access game that advertises itself as a medieval sandbox and you expect it to be historically accurate. You have a perk in two handed which gives you the ability to deflect arrows by parrying but the game becomes inaccurate when you see a woman in armor. Ive raged a lot at games that push diversity down our throats to the point of vomiting but this post really feels like an unnecessary ****post towards the game and nothing more.

Lock this thread. I hate seeing misogynistic weirdos on the forums.

Women are a part of the world. If that makes you “uncomfortable” like you said, I’m sure the Incel forums you likely frequent will be there to comfort you in these troubled times. This simply isn’t the place for your rhetoric.

Calling women Femos is just so god damn cringe. I can’t. I made my original post in this thread in jest before I realized just how wacko the OP was.

You are missing the point. It’s fantasy in the sense that it’s Taleworlds own creation. If Taleworlds states that Women had power during the time of Bannerlord, then that is 100% canon in the mount and blade universe and there is absolutely ****all anyone outside of Taleworlds can do about it.

Does history hurt your feelings?

The game actually has too many men, armies of hundreds being raised from little ten house villages, killed off then raised again, where are they all coming from? :grin:

Historically acurate? :lol:

The game actually has too many men, armies of hundreds being raised from little ten house villages, killed off then raised again, where are they all coming from? :grin:

Historically acurate? :lol:
Any game abstracts the world it is representing - so does some literature. Where do all the armies come from in Lord of the Rings? There are virtually no settlements depicted outside the 'capital' of each realm. The 'ten house' villages probably represent several hundred or a few thousand people; there would be farms and hamlets not shown in game at all. The few people you see wandering round a town don't represent the 'real' population, etc.

Err yeah I know, I wasn't being entirely serious....

Anyway... women fighting is at least theoretically possible if not historically accurate, and yet people zero in on this subject while accepting stuff that actually isn't theoretically possible or is equally historically innaccurate... so it isn't really about accuracy.

But I've said before on other subjects, I imagine the whole reason Taleworlds went for a made up world is so they can change stuff around and not get too hung up on history.

Both men and women are required for marriage and reproduction of clans within the game. Prior to the addition of female lords, some factions may have even had a 5 to 1 male to female ratio IIRC and you had some 10 year test runs with low single digit marriage and birth counts (atm there are other issues with marriage that we are looking into). We will probably add more females over time as some clans still start out with a single male member - aka they are likely to vanish within a generation. I also don't think we will match that with a 9:1 ratio of new males, because it is already challenging enough for the player to rid the world of a specific clan.

Beyond that, clans have a number of mobile parties and cities to lead. Parties generally prefer characters that qualify as "combatants" which derives from character skills. Overall men in the game are more likely to have according skills, however, NPCs develop skills throughout the game, so it is quite possible for a non-combatant to become a combatant depending on what they experience. Similarly, a clan will use a non-combatant to lead a party if they lack an alternative. Parties are too valuable to leave unused.

My original point was about things that are ahistorical but don't need to be changed for that reason, like the way combat works or the way clans work. Warband and bannerlord are based way more on classic RPG gameplay loops than actual history.
By pointing out that the number of women in the game "ruins your immersion" it just highlights that your motivation is aesthetic and pop cultural rather than historical. A faction (even a medieval christian or muslim one) with female commanders is way, way more believable in real life than any of the core mechanics. Core mechanics that I don't think have to be changed to fit history either.

The reason I don't take stevehoos's's's complaints seriously is that he usually appends his criticism with wild conspiracies about "modern gender politics" and "politically correct history", which are accusations that fringe people have been throwing at academia quite recently but have no basis in reality.
This is the reason these threads just end up being ridiculous arguments, if they don't start out that way.

Both men and women are required for marriage and reproduction of clans within the game. Prior to the addition of female lords, some factions may have even had a 5 to 1 male to female ratio IIRC and you had some 10 year test runs with low single digit marriage and birth counts (atm there are other issues with marriage that we are looking into). We will probably add more females over time as some clans still start out with a single male member - aka they are likely to vanish within a generation. I also don't think we will match that with a 9:1 ratio of new males, because it is already challenging enough for the player to rid the world of a specific clan.

Beyond that, clans have a number of mobile parties and cities to lead. Parties generally prefer characters that qualify as "combatants" which derives from character skills. Overall men in the game are more likely to have according skills, however, NPCs develop skills throughout the game, so it is quite possible for a non-combatant to become a combatant depending on what they experience. Similarly, a clan will use a non-combatant to lead a party if they lack an alternative. Parties are too valuable to leave unused.
Poor Vipon needs some love. He's all on his lonesome.

So ... many of you doubting the value of female soldiers/mercenaries ... in the european culture many women after being cast off, went and looked for fame in a different way. Many of them ended up in rogueish skills, but also many lead small parties for skirmishes etc. and built themself a bit of a renown. Many things are not historically accurate, because their "notable leader" suddenly was a woman. And they only found out, because they died. But still there were a ton of mercenaries, who hired females. And not just as eye candy. But because females even back then were seen as more reliable and more calm than most men. So when you state historic facts, just know, that many women, who were cast off fought whilst defending their new homes etc. Just look at the holy crusade, where the crusaders were surprised by civilian defense, which was later called "babaric" because the women fought. So just full stop about the "too much females in the game, ratio should be 1 female in 9 male characters". Even the old roman empire had their "victoria" a female bringing victory to the empire. And even in their slave armies ton of women fought and fought well. So stop your "too much women in the game". And we dont want to talk about the germanic/norse cultures, who believed in valkyries and shieldmaiden. Also in the mongolian empire there were woman who lead the armies into battle as well. So therefore it makes sense, that ALL women lead the armies. So for the ones going on with "ThIs Is HiStOrIcAlLy InAcCuRaTe" ... nope you did not check history correctly. You just imagine history being the patriacal stuff, where women had no rights and were directly burned at the stakes once they had power. But not really. They had a tougher time, always in fear, if they lose the support of their patron, that they will be killed due to jealousy, fall to lowly plots done by jealous males etc. but they could achieve a renown as good as a man. And yeah I run around with my party full of female characters, charging into enemy armies side by side after battling a ton ... they are mostly (at least in my playthorughs) a bit smaller than the male companions and archers have a bit harder time to hit them accurately (just imo)

Carry on. The Ubroving clan definitely needs some help. Although hes been quite busy in mine
DfLqE.jpg

Since this is about the most historical game covering a 100% accurate group of Kingdoms spread out in an area smaller than Long Island, I for one hate the fact that there are woman at all. It should just be a giant sausage fest with chain mail.

It's true that multiple female commanders existed in the 1000s time period Bannerlord imitates. But based on the historical evidence we have, they weren't as common as some people here are pretending. (To those mentioning "shield maidens", look up prominent Viking scholar Judith Jesch's essay on how there is no actual evidence for that). In real life, the ratio of male to female commanders was never 10:1, even in societies much more accepting of female war leaders.

Sure, it's technically true that Bannerlord is a "low fantasy" setting, so it doesn't have to be historically accurate. (Leaving aside that Bannerlord's setting is literally just Earth with the names and geography changed a bit, and the devblogs talking at length about how the game "benefits from cleaving closely to real life").

But if we can make Bannerlord more historically accurate without making gameplay less fun, we should, because making a history-inspired game more like real history makes it more immersive, and clearly there are many players out there who value that. Plus, right now we have lots of female companions whose backstory is all about how sexist life in Calradia is, but that doesn't ring true with the actual game where every faction has at least 1 woman in command of an army.

Warband did it best. That Calradia did not have naturally occurring female commanders. But you could intentionally train sword sisters if you wanted female troops, and you could promote female companions to lordly positions, or choose to support female claimants in civil wars.

The best thing to do is have realism as the default, but with the option for the player to influence the world to be the way they find most fun. Reduce the total number of female commanders a little, but bring back recruitable sword sisters and improve the dynastic system so if the player wants to train up an entirely female army or make a matriarchal faction, they have that choice.

The best thing to do is have realism as the default, but with the option for the player to influence the world to be the way they find most fun. Reduce the total number of female commanders a little
If you look at what duh said above, they are needed to fill party leader slots when others are captured or when there are only 2-4 members of the clan. You can also see he talks about how males have more of the combatant skills. Honestly its pretty badass these women are going out to fight in a war to try to save their husbands, brothers, and sons.
bring back recruitable sword sisters and improve the dynastic system so if the player wants to train up an entirely female army or make a matriarchal faction, they have that choice.
This is an interesting idea

@Blood Gryphon Glad we agree on some stuff, I'm more talking about starting commanders than replacement commanders, though. As in the ones you run into when the game has pretty much just began.

Since this is about the most historical game covering a 100% accurate group of Kingdoms spread out in an area smaller than Long Island, I for one hate the fact that there are woman at all. It should just be a giant sausage fest with chain mail.
Yeah its completely absurd that these proud male members cant just de-pants and helicopter from sausage party to sausage party while yelling "here i come" we need this realism in game now! otherwise i will write atleast 13 posts where i cry about how bad Taleworlds are, because they are bowing to evil Gals!

It's true that multiple female commanders existed in the 1000s time period Bannerlord imitates. But based on the historical evidence we have, they weren't as common as some people here are pretending.

I don't see anyone in this thread saying they were common, only that they existed and that alone suffices for inclusion in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom