Are map ship speed and in-battle ship speeds affected by the crew count?

Users who are viewing this thread

unity100

Veteran
Ie, if you use a ship that is made for 50 man with only 10 man (including the companions), will it go slower?

If so, will that happen both in battle, and also in the map?

I could be wrong, but I believe Sailors are the only non-companion unit that can affect ship speed, and that is only on the campaign map. Remembering battles where my other ship with only like 2 people on it beat my big-ass ship with 100 men to the fight  :facepalm:.

Roccoflipside said:
Sailors are the only non-companion unit that can affect ship speed

Sailors give 2x bonus, but there are more.

Vanilla VC: Norse troops lvl 23 and over (1x bonus), and any unit with vikingr in its name (1x bonus)

Balance Mod: adds to above list Ship Captains (2x bonus) and Helgi (2x bonus)

Other than that, for in-battle speed I think number of crew vs crew capacity is important for rowing speed, though I've never checked the code to confirm or get the formula. For map speed, I don't think crew size matters, but speed bonus is based on percentage of crew getting the bonus, so if I remember correctly, say, a part consisting of just a small number of sailors will max out the speed bonus (at 40% I think) and go faster on map than 50 normal men + same number of sailors even when sailing a large ship. But haven't looked at this for a long time so could be remembering that part incorrectly.

Thanks for the info on bonuses guys.

But will i get screwed in regard to speed if i try to sail with a 50 man ship with only 5 people, for example? Or can i just take a 50 man ship with 5 people and just sail on the map just like normal?

unity100 said:
Thanks for the info on bonuses guys.

But will i get screwed in regard to speed if i try to sail with a 50 man ship with only 5 people, for example? Or can i just take a 50 man ship with 5 people and just sail on the map just like normal?

each ship has it own stats like capacity and speed. If you are using a huge ship for a small crew, you may end up going slower than if you used something else (like a quick war ship). That of course affects your ability to run or catch up to enemy ships, and your travel time.

so test it out and see which ones you like more...

now if you are worried that you cant buy another one right now... then use what you have... until you can buy/build/capture others

If all you are worried about is map speed, then a 5 man crew of sailors will go much faster than a large crew of normal men. As long as I am remembering correctly, map speed doesn't directly check crew numbers, and the sailing bonus check is based on percentage of crew getting the bonus, meaning nothing is faster than pure crews of sailing bonus units, even tiny ones manning large ships.

If you don't care about sailing bonuses at all, then I think even you sailing alone in your ship would go at normal speed on the world map (though I recomend you check in game to confirm, as it has been a little while since I looked at this)

Whoa. Ok. Thanks.

I was using a skeid with 5-10 man crew but it seemed waaaay too slow compared to sailing via portmaster. I will do some tests. Thanks.

Do report back what your tests show. I could be remembering incorrectly, and would appreciate the correction if so.

Though might it be that the time compression turns on when using portmaster ships, making it look faster than it is? I think the portmaster ships move slowly generally, though of course wind conditions can vary a lot and dramatically impact speed.

Here are the results:

11 navigation total (leader + party) With Dark Age mod full version which may include some balance changes

---------------------------------------

via portmaster

dorestad - tunsberg

april 12 morning - april 14 evening

tunsberg - dorestad

april 18 dawn - april 19 early morning

with skeid 10 people with 19 sailors

dorestad - tunsberg

april 24 late night april 24 evening

tunsberg - dorestad

april 24 evening - april 25 late afternoon

with skeid 10 companions with no sailors

dorestad - tunsberg

april 25 dusk - april 26 dusk

tunsberg - dorestad

april 26 dusk - april 27 evening

----------------------

Though wind conditions factor in, it seems that more sailors seem to provide a speed bonus to map speed as well.

Yes, more sailors or other bonus speed units like vikingr can provide a sailing bonus, up to the cap of 40% or so, based on the proportion of crew that are bonus units. You can view the percentage bonus in the camp screen when at sea.

What doesn't increase world map speed is a larger crew. In other words, you alone in a boat will be just as fast as you + 100 normal men. As another example, 10 sailors + you should be faster than 10 sailors + you + 100 normal men (because the percentage of bonus troops is higher).

I checked in game just now to confirm this, and it is correct. Player all alone in a snekkja sails the same speed as player + 20 spearmen, given same wind conditions.

(All of the above being only about world map of course--battle speed is different matter)

Yeah, the portmaster (as well as ferries) definitely seem to move faster because of the "double time" effect; basically, it's the same as holding space button or waiting while in town. Based on your test results, it seems they're the slowest of the three options, but they do have their uses in that
1. You don't need your own ships (which are expensive to acquire and maintain)
2. Party size is limited by your wallet (If you can afford to take 1,000 guys from a to b, there's nothing stopping you)
3. You can land in enemy towns without having to attack them (although I suppose you could just land outside if you had your own fleet).

My main problem with them is that you cannot use them to travel while the marshall of a faction, they'll give you some B.S. about not being "able to carry a kingdom's marshall and all his troops" even if you're the only one (I've tried).

Tingyun said:
Roccoflipside said:
Sailors are the only non-companion unit that can affect ship speed

Sailors give 2x bonus, but there are more.

Vanilla VC: Norse troops lvl 23 and over (1x bonus), and any unit with vikingr in its name (1x bonus)

Balance Mod: adds to above list Ship Captains (2x bonus) and Helgi (2x bonus)

Also thanks for this, never knew that. Then again after a certain point I always stopped using my own ships because I never had enough to move my massive 650+ man army and it was cheaper to pay the 20,000+ peningas lol

Back
Top Bottom