are humans naturally good or evil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ducksrulez

Sergeant Knight at Arms
so what do you think? Are humans born good and learn to be evil or are they born evil and learn to be good? or does it depend on the environment the person grows up in? or does that not change anything about the person at all? famous philosophers like  John Locke and Thomas Hobbes had there thoughts on human evil and goodness now what are yours?

Environment and learning. Our knowledge is limited by our exposure, and we emulate the behaviors of others we see. Instinctual behavior is fairly limited to eating, elimination, and other normal bodily functions. Past that, we have to learn from somewhere.

Define evil.....evolution has made us hard sure, the strong only win out, but I look forward to the future, when such concepts of society are a thing of the past.....Or, a zombie apocalypse happens and we are back to ground zero  :lol:

If good is altruism and evil its absence, then only birds and mammals are capable of being good. There is actually a hormone that is empathy, and only birds and mammals have it. It shows in how they care for their young. If that's the case, the predisposition to empathetic behavior is defined genetically, which means a person is  born on a spectrum of good or evil as defined by their genetic ability to produce said hormone. That said, learned culture merely defines good and evil, it does little to instill it. 

Devercia said:
If good is altruism and evil its absence, then only birds and mammals are capable of being good. There is actually a hormone that is empathy, and only birds and mammals have it. It shows in how they care for their young. If that's the case, the predisposition to empathetic behavior is defined genetically, which means a person is  born on a spectrum of good or evil as defined by their genetic ability to produce said hormone. That said, learned culture merely defines good and evil, it does little to instill it. 
Nope.

Pretty concept, but there is no single "Empathy Hormone" or "Empathy Gene" and plenty of non-mammals and non-birds care for their young in similair or more dedicated manners. How animals treat their young is more frequently about litter sizes, frequency of birth and time to maturity.

Well, its all an assumption anyway. Was hoping for a more conclusive counter argument before I gave it up, but I am just too damn lazy to defend it.  :wink:

BTW I was referring to Oxitocin in mammals.

Well before we answer any question we must first go to the number one best selling book every year kiddies, your holy bible. So what does God have to say about it? Let's take a look.

Psa 51:5  Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me

So we were born in sin because of the fall of one man Adam, and his disobedience to God's word, which separated us from God. However because he loves us so much Jesus came to take on the sin of the whole world to bring us back together again with God. So we all are evil until we are born again of the water and spirit John 3:5 for more on this

https://www.endtime.com/urgent-questions/what-do-you-mean-born-again/

God bless.

rgodfrey said:
<The invisible man in the sky loves you but will stick you in a fiery pit of torture if you do one of the 10 things he does not want you to do>

Why don't you stay in your new thread, hmmm? Don't fling poo out of your cage. What are you, a monkey? I thought you didn't believe in evolution, why are you behaving like a monkey?

Back
Top Bottom